Calling During the Post Rut-Muzzleloader

• nug
    central iowa

Just wondering if anyone has had success with calling during the post rut. A few nights ago, I saw an 8 pointer I have been watching all year (thankfully, he made it through gun season ) He is the one in the picture on the right. He ain’t a monster, but he would make a great first deer with my Knight!! I have been out a few times so far with my muzzleloader, but the deer are waiting until right after shooting light to enter the field. Would calling help?? Any help would be awesome!!

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I probably would not call. With these cold temps the deer should start move a little earlier. One thing you dont want to do is bump these deer on there food source. Try to determine what trail they are using to get to there food source and sit 50 to 100 yard in. Or sit on the food source where you can get in and out with out being detected. I dont know if you have snow or not yet, but there is snow in the forcast that should really help.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Jake, I like to scout or hunt the field I’m on and watch after dark where the deer enter the field. The next sit I will move my stand location and usually move it just off of the field edge where the deer and hopefully mature bucks will stage. Look for the trails and it is nice to have fresh snow to help you determine this. I often find this will put me right in the middle of the action and once the deer move to the field I can slip out of my stand easier going undetected or not spooking them as bad being inside the wood edge! With a muzzle loader you probably don’t have to get as close as I do with a bow, but use the same principal and set up on the down wind side of their entry trail(s)!

Late season I tend to get a lil’ more aggressive since it is close to seasons end and if I push a deer off my property there is less chance of a big buck getting harvested now that the majority of hunters are tagged out or are staying in because of the cold. Hunting late season is my favorite thing next to the rut. Find the food, you will find the deer. Scout/Hunt a night or two and make your move to get on their door step on the field edge or just inside! As far as calling, I will not usually do it, but it depends on the deer behavior I’m seeing. Some of the does that were not bred the first go around should be starting to come into estrous again. If you are in the right place at the right time this secondary rut can be out of this world as only a few does will come in and the competition is fierce for those few does. This is often when the real big boys will show themselves, fight, get stupid and forget about being hunted. Good Luck

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Quote:

Jake, I like to scout or hunt the field I’m on and watch after dark where the deer enter the field. The next sit I will move my stand location and usually move it just off of the field edge where the deer and hopefully mature bucks will stage. Look for the trails and it is nice to have fresh snow to help you determine this. I often find this will put me right in the middle of the action and once the deer move to the field I can slip out of my stand easier going undetected or not spooking them as bad being inside the wood edge! With a muzzle loader you probably don’t have to get as close as I do with a bow, but use the same principal and set up on the down wind side of their entry trail(s)!

Late season I tend to get a lil’ more aggressive since it is close to seasons end and if I push a deer off my property there is less chance of a big buck getting harvested now that the majority of hunters are tagged out or are staying in because of the cold. Hunting late season is my favorite thing next to the rut. Find the food, you will find the deer. Scout/Hunt a night or two and make your move to get on their door step on the field edge or just inside! As far as calling, I will not usually do it, but it depends on the deer behavior I’m seeing. Some of the does that were not bred the first go around should be starting to come into estrous again. If you are in the right place at the right time this secondary rut can be out of this world as only a few does will come in and the competition is fierce for those few does. This is often when the real big boys will show themselves, fight, get stupid and forget about being hunted. Good Luck

x2Couldn’t be stated better!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Quote:

As far as calling, I will not usually do it, but it depends on the deer behavior I’m seeing. Some of the does that were not bred the first go around should be starting to come into estrous again. If you are in the right place at the right time this secondary rut can be out of this world as only a few does will come in and the competition is fierce for those few does. This is often when the real big boys will show themselves, fight, get stupid and forget about being hunted. Good Luck

This point alone, I think would be a good time for just the can call alone, Like cold calling for tom turkeys when the hens are on the nest.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.