My WI Gun-deer buck

• fredbart
    St. Paul

Thanks James and Steve for another very well done show. Three things that really stuck out for me. After catching a nice smallmouth James said, “To the fisherman its (the minnow) was a 75 cent purchase, but too the smallmouth it’s a quarter pounder with cheese”. One of the things a great angler can do is to put themselves into the behaviors of the fish, but you have to name this is a way the angler understands it. The next time I go to a bait store in the fall and get minnow I know I will not ask for a scoop of fatheads, after all why feed them table scraps when they want to fill up!

Sometimes when I am into a hot bite I get so focused on the catching that I may tend to become less respectful of the releasing. I really appreciated the respect and care both anglers put into care and safe return of fish to their natural environment. I know that at times I have been a bit careless in my fish release looking more at the next cast. Thanks for showing me that it’s cool to take your time; make a careful release. The fish are still there so you don’t have to do the quick flip and flop release.

From day one I have felt that I.D.A. not only provides the best information, but the focus has been on angling ethics with high regards for both personal and environmental respect. This week’s episode was great to watch, I learned a great deal and look ahead to applying these skills on the water! Great work.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Not as big as most on here, but the tallest one I’ve ever shot. Most of the deer we see on the properties we hunt seem to have the same wide hort symetric 8-10 point patterns, so this guy was definitely different. One of only 2 deer I saw this weekend, the other was a fork on Saturday. Got this one by 7 am on Sunday. Have some other pics, but this is the only one I have at work.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Nice looking buck Dan……Congrats

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s a beauty I will call him “Long Bones”

ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

tall tines on that guy. nice buck!

DugMer

Congrats on a great Wisconsin Whitetail.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Good job!!

On another note……..

Why are people trying to give all these deer lately a name?? Its stupid IMO.

jeff-rudy
    Rosemount, MN

Nice!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Good job!!

On another note……..

OK “coyote 223″….

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Quote:

Good job!!

On another note……..

OK “coyote 223″….

Whats your problem “Big G”?? I just asked a question.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have no problem. I guess me saying I will call him Long Bones, was me saying to the shooter “He has tall tines”… I guess I learned to name deer years ago, up at deer camp. When pulling cards and pics off trail cameras, we discovered it was alot easier saying, I see “Little Brows” is coming through at 2:00am, rather than, that 1 deer, you know, the brown one with 2 eyes… ??? and none of the guys know which one I am talking about. But once we put a name to them, everyone knows, without even seeing the pics or being there, which Bucks are visiting the camera site. You should try it once, but am guessing maybe you don’t hunt with a group, so you would have no use for it… Hopefully answered your question.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Great Buck Dan! Congrats!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Very nice buck….congrats on a good season… …Jay

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Good job!!

On another note……..

It’s easier to identify and talk about them IMO. I’m tracking many different bucks that I’ve captured on trail cameras this year that are 2.5 years or older. Instead of saying I saw that 10 pointer and trying to describe the deer, you just call them by name and everyone knows who you are talking about.

It looks like Big G beat me to it.

Congrats MossBoss on a great buck!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Congrats Dan. Long tined bugger. Looks like your ma helped ya with the detergent trick.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Congrats Dan. Long tined bugger. Looks like your ma helped ya with the detergent trick.

I forgot all about that…. Way to go MOM

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

Congrats on that guy, what I would give to shoot one like that at this point in the game

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

CONGRATS!
    Luv the long G’s on that one….way to ’em!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

LOL, yep, too late to rewash it, so they had a bag of wet leaves behind the house and had her stuff it in there. It smelled like leaves I can tell you that!! Though this one was probably 50-60 yards away, so not sure how much he would have winded me anyway.

thanks guys.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

It’ll be all the new rage.. Hunt with detergent, deer are so conditioned to smelling charcoal and scent shield they can’t figure what this detergent is. I can see it now.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Big G, I’ll one up ya. We’ll call him the “detergent” buck. Long bones or what ever you called him is too vague. Get creative.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Don’t forget the wet leaves in a bag. We can pick up yard waste, get paid for it, then resell it as “forest blend scent remover in a bag”, and get paid for it again!!

Hmmmmmmm, if anyone uses this idea I claim it as my intellectual property…….

lick

nice buck mossboss congrats

Highcountry
    Osakis,Mn

Congrats! Nice buck…

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Great Buck Moss Congrats

coppertop
    Central MN

Great looking buck! Congrats Moss!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats Dan great looking buck!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.