New Hunting Report added…

• et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Stick Boy

I used to sell to contractors just like you, and the advertising topic came up quite regularly. The following is what I learned from my customers.

1. What most regularly turns into paying jobs is word of mouth advertising and referrals. Don’t be afraid to ask your satisfied customer if they know anyone needing work done. You might be surprised at how many will give you a name and phone number.
    2. What works best at getting calls for so many quotes that you don’t have much time for actual work is yellow pages advertising. Contractors have told me several times about showing up to do a quote, and another guy is just leaving. And sure enough, another guy is arriving just as they are leaving. Some people just love to collect as many quotes as they can hold at one time.
    3. Hand delivered flyers produce pretty well. One customer who was just starting out a deck business printed up flyers and drove around to all the newer developements and attached flyers to peoples doors. It got him some pretty good business.
    4. Signs with your name and phone number placed at current jobsites do work. Just the fact that you are doing work for someone will make others more comfortable with calling you. They will also prompt neighbors to come over and check out your work, and ask questions about projects they need done.

I hope this helps

fishinfool
    mn

I dont own a business, but when building my house I looked for businesses with a good reputation and second if not a tie for first was -quality work at a fair price, if you are out to make the fast rich dollar and rake people over the coals on the cost, you will suffer in the long run. I know builders and plumbers ect that charge a fair price and they are constantly busy, and constantly busy will pay the bills just as fast as slow and expensive. My two cents.

FISHINFOOL

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

3. Hand delivered flyers produce pretty well. One customer who was just starting out a deck business printed up flyers and drove around to all the newer developements and attached flyers to peoples doors. It got him some pretty good business.

You might want to consider mailing them. The cost of mailing will be far less than going door to door because your time is worth something and the cost of gas. Furthermore, you can blanket by zipcodes, demographics, etc. Send out 10,000 mailers, you have to spend money to make money. You can expect roughly a 2% return on mailers.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.