Early Deer [bow[] or Later Deer [shotgun]?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Bow hunting for deer in SE Mn. has already started and the deer have already been noticed to be moving around as a result. I would think that the movement would make it alittle more difficult for the shotgun hunters to hunt for them if there is no snow. Do you prefer to hunt with a bow to get into the first chance to get a deer or do you prefer to wait for the shotgun opener?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Bow hunting is nice because you can be more selective because you have a long season. You also get closer to nature. I like gun hunting to spend time with my family and friends in the field. For me getting a deer during the gun season is not real important. It is all about having a good time and catching up with people that I only see during hunting. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Bow hunting is nice because you can be more selective because you have a long season. You also get closer to nature. I like gun hunting to spend time with my family and friends in the field. For me getting a deer during the gun season is not real important. It is all about having a good time and catching up with people that I only see during hunting. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Bow hunting for deer in SE Mn. has already started and the deer have already been noticed to be moving around as a result. I would think that the movement would make it alittle more difficult for the shotgun hunters to hunt for them if there is no snow.

Good questions Bill,
    Any time there is human activity in the woods deer become more alert and this will happen even before the bow opener with guys out scouting and putting up there stands. However for the most part you will probably see more deer during the bow season than you do once shot gun opens, once the slugs start flying deer become a lot more skidish.

Quote:

Do you prefer to hunt with a bow to get into the first chance to get a deer or do you prefer to wait for the shotgun opener?

I enjoy bow hunting because you see a lot more activity in the woods than you do during shot gun season, not just deer but all kinds of wildlife, turkeys, grouse, coyote’s, birds, squirrels just to name a few. I also enjoy shot gun hunting the buck season as I feel that my odds are better of taking a mature buck with my gun than with my bow. Here is how I approach my deer hunting, when bow hunting in MN you can purchase a second license called a Intensive Harvest tag, this tag is good for a doe only. What I try to do is take a doe with my bow for my first deer, after that I become more selective and wait for a decent buck. When shot gun season for buck’s rolls around if I have not used my regular archery license yet then my shot gun tag is still good to tag a buck with.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Bow hunting for deer in SE Mn. has already started and the deer have already been noticed to be moving around as a result. I would think that the movement would make it alittle more difficult for the shotgun hunters to hunt for them if there is no snow.

Good questions Bill,
    Any time there is human activity in the woods deer become more alert and this will happen even before the bow opener with guys out scouting and putting up there stands. However for the most part you will probably see more deer during the bow season than you do once shot gun opens, once the slugs start flying deer become a lot more skidish.

Quote:

Do you prefer to hunt with a bow to get into the first chance to get a deer or do you prefer to wait for the shotgun opener?

I enjoy bow hunting because you see a lot more activity in the woods than you do during shot gun season, not just deer but all kinds of wildlife, turkeys, grouse, coyote’s, birds, squirrels just to name a few. I also enjoy shot gun hunting the buck season as I feel that my odds are better of taking a mature buck with my gun than with my bow. Here is how I approach my deer hunting, when bow hunting in MN you can purchase a second license called a Intensive Harvest tag, this tag is good for a doe only. What I try to do is take a doe with my bow for my first deer, after that I become more selective and wait for a decent buck. When shot gun season for buck’s rolls around if I have not used my regular archery license yet then my shot gun tag is still good to tag a buck with.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I don’t know about Mn but down here in Iowa during shotgun season it gets pretty wild…. I personally bow hunt the 1st season and then am going to hunt during the 1st muzzleload season and back off during shotgun season…. I will be hunting the pheasants during shotgun season…. The dogs and I both will by covered in all the blaze orange that I can find during shotgun season…..and I will stay as far away from the woods as I possible can get… too many slugs flying around for me….besides, bow and muzzleloader hunting is much more enjoyable…. gets you closer to nature… kinda like turkey hunting. Peaceful and Quite.

No party hunts for this boy………

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I don’t know about Mn but down here in Iowa during shotgun season it gets pretty wild…. I personally bow hunt the 1st season and then am going to hunt during the 1st muzzleload season and back off during shotgun season…. I will be hunting the pheasants during shotgun season…. The dogs and I both will by covered in all the blaze orange that I can find during shotgun season…..and I will stay as far away from the woods as I possible can get… too many slugs flying around for me….besides, bow and muzzleloader hunting is much more enjoyable…. gets you closer to nature… kinda like turkey hunting. Peaceful and Quite.

No party hunts for this boy………

bird

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I buy a bow liscence every year just to go to the best wildlife movies around, All kinds of animals and birds walking around. Once i had a turkey land 5 ft. from me, when i was in my stand, while i was waking up the woods with my diaphram call. I use a diaphram to let the deer know its ok and not to be alarmed. Many times when a deer senses me i just yelp a few times and they go right back too feeding. To me , after learning how to bowhunt and how to get within arrowing range, shotguns are for longer shots or filling a tag too get enough too make 100 pounds of sausage with cheese in it. I’ve got a good recepie that you can make right in your oven. If everybody hunted with a bow and applied those tecniques to a shotgun there wouldn’t be any over population problems.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I buy a bow liscence every year just to go to the best wildlife movies around, All kinds of animals and birds walking around. Once i had a turkey land 5 ft. from me, when i was in my stand, while i was waking up the woods with my diaphram call. I use a diaphram to let the deer know its ok and not to be alarmed. Many times when a deer senses me i just yelp a few times and they go right back too feeding. To me , after learning how to bowhunt and how to get within arrowing range, shotguns are for longer shots or filling a tag too get enough too make 100 pounds of sausage with cheese in it. I’ve got a good recepie that you can make right in your oven. If everybody hunted with a bow and applied those tecniques to a shotgun there wouldn’t be any over population problems.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

mossydan I could not agree with you more, thats why I shot gun hunt alone, your odds of filling your tag are allot better

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

mossydan I could not agree with you more, thats why I shot gun hunt alone, your odds of filling your tag are allot better

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Just had to inter this one too. Here in town where i live the dnr flew over and counted 2’800 head in the city limits. I know when the dnr lets tags go, for in town hunting, you can buy as many as you want. Theres the tags that the you buy for statewide, the late season, the extra deer zone, the state parks that are over populated, Heck i’ve lost count but at one time i think you could buy 5 tags plus as many as you wanted for the in town hunt and the population is getting bigger down here in iowa.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Just had to inter this one too. Here in town where i live the dnr flew over and counted 2’800 head in the city limits. I know when the dnr lets tags go, for in town hunting, you can buy as many as you want. Theres the tags that the you buy for statewide, the late season, the extra deer zone, the state parks that are over populated, Heck i’ve lost count but at one time i think you could buy 5 tags plus as many as you wanted for the in town hunt and the population is getting bigger down here in iowa.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Steve.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Steve.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

This buck is a good example of what lives in the city limits, they feel safe in town. From what I understand this buck was taken in or very close to the city limits.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

This buck is a good example of what lives in the city limits, they feel safe in town. From what I understand this buck was taken in or very close to the city limits.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Steve heres an idea. Ever gone grunting at night to see the reactions of the bucks and does verses the daytime habits? I grunted in a buck similar to this one in my city limits two blocks from my house. His rack looked like a christmas tree. I grunted him in close to where my boy who was sitting 10 yrds in front of me. He said he could see the liquid in his eyes. I know the bigger smarter buck, short of intense breeding drives, travel 80% to 90% at night. Its a whole new ball game when thier walking at night. Remember no weapons at all at night, not even pocket knives. Its amazing how close they come in at night. Remember to bring a pair of binoculars to see him breath.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Steve heres an idea. Ever gone grunting at night to see the reactions of the bucks and does verses the daytime habits? I grunted in a buck similar to this one in my city limits two blocks from my house. His rack looked like a christmas tree. I grunted him in close to where my boy who was sitting 10 yrds in front of me. He said he could see the liquid in his eyes. I know the bigger smarter buck, short of intense breeding drives, travel 80% to 90% at night. Its a whole new ball game when thier walking at night. Remember no weapons at all at night, not even pocket knives. Its amazing how close they come in at night. Remember to bring a pair of binoculars to see him breath.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well I am going to add my 2 cents in here, but i don’t shot gun hunt, I hunt in a rifle zone. I also buy a bow tag and go out and sit in my deer stand and watch what is happening at my stand. i can be drenching in desiel fuel from the farm equipment, go out in my greasy clothes and still have them run right next to my deer stand. just because of the activity in the woods don’t change them, it is the scents and orders on thier paths that change how they come into spots. if you smell like what they are used to smelling, you can walk right down thier trails and practically right up to htem. I have taken 9 deer in the last 3 years of rifle hunting. but got buck fever really bad last year with my bow and missed twice. yep that is right, not once but 2 times. shame on me!!! good luck this year to everyone. hope to see some nice racks.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well I am going to add my 2 cents in here, but i don’t shot gun hunt, I hunt in a rifle zone. I also buy a bow tag and go out and sit in my deer stand and watch what is happening at my stand. i can be drenching in desiel fuel from the farm equipment, go out in my greasy clothes and still have them run right next to my deer stand. just because of the activity in the woods don’t change them, it is the scents and orders on thier paths that change how they come into spots. if you smell like what they are used to smelling, you can walk right down thier trails and practically right up to htem. I have taken 9 deer in the last 3 years of rifle hunting. but got buck fever really bad last year with my bow and missed twice. yep that is right, not once but 2 times. shame on me!!! good luck this year to everyone. hope to see some nice racks.

shane

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

i agree Shane, They smell farm equipment all year long. Its the human odor that puts them on alert plus coyotes take thier young. Hunt with the wind in your favor.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

i agree Shane, They smell farm equipment all year long. Its the human odor that puts them on alert plus coyotes take thier young. Hunt with the wind in your favor.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.