Oh, so close!

• shayla

Well, lastnight I sped home after work to try and get an hours worth of bowhunting in before it got dark. On my walk in I spooked 3 deer right from under my stand. I stood there for a minute thinking maybe I should just head back to the house, but figured “what the heck” and continued up into the stand….not really expecting to see anything. I gave a few half-hearted grunts on the call and settled in. About 20 minutes later I hear the familiar footsteps of a deer walking in dry oakleaves! Slowly I turn around and see a large bodied deer coming towards me thru the woods. Finally he stops and I get a look at his rack! Suddenly I am very warm as I realize it’s the big buck I jumped about 3 weeks ago behind my place. That time I didn’t have a chance to count points, but this time I did and he’s got 10 beautiful long points. So, I get ready for the shot and he starts moving my direction again. He moves thru an opening at about 30 yards, but instead of continuing down the path he turns and heads up a wooded side-hill away from me. Dang, how many times have I passed on the first good opportunity only to cuss myself for not getting the shot?!?! I figure he’s gone, so I slump dejected back into my seat. Then I get this hairbrain idea to try one of those snort-wheezes that always seems to work on TV…..well, here he comes back! This time he is running down the hill! He stops about 20 yards away and starts wrecking a little oak tree. I’m thinking this is a slam-dunk….nothing left to do but post the pics of Slipsinker’s big-buck on IDA! Well, it wasn’t meant to be. He hung up there in the brush until it got too dark to shoot and then walked directly under my stand and went in the direction he originally came from. I quietly got down after I was sure he was gone and headed back to the house. I was so excited, that’s the biggest buck I’ve had so close in a number of years due to this dang river walleye fishing addiction I’ve become afflicted with! I just haven’t spent as much time scouting as I used to and it’s shown the past few years. I was blessed to see this whopper lastnight, and I hope to see him again tonight! I will let you know…………

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Its almost as fun as walleye fishing aint it?

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Its almost as fun as walleye fishing aint it?

shayla

…well, he must’ve had better things to do because I only saw one doe last night. I tried hard to find some antler on that deer’s head, but she was definately an old baldy! (Kinda like me )

Perhaps I’ll see him this evening? Just hope nobody posts any pics of huge pool 2 walleyes, because that is where I feel like I should be instead of chasing this dang ole buck! Wish I could be in both places at once.

shayla

…well, he must’ve had better things to do because I only saw one doe last night. I tried hard to find some antler on that deer’s head, but she was definately an old baldy! (Kinda like me )

Perhaps I’ll see him this evening? Just hope nobody posts any pics of huge pool 2 walleyes, because that is where I feel like I should be instead of chasing this dang ole buck! Wish I could be in both places at once.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I hear ya, just not enough time anymore
    Great post of the highs and lows of bow hunting. I hope you get a clean shot at him. I want to see pics

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I hear ya, just not enough time anymore
    Great post of the highs and lows of bow hunting. I hope you get a clean shot at him. I want to see pics

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Slip-

I hope you get him! Nobody deserves a big buck more than you!

Maybe you should bring Pearl down there next time! You could let her do the grunting for you

Good luck buddy! Get all the fishing and hunting in now….because that will be put on hold for awhile when that little one comes!!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Slip-

I hope you get him! Nobody deserves a big buck more than you!

Maybe you should bring Pearl down there next time! You could let her do the grunting for you

Good luck buddy! Get all the fishing and hunting in now….because that will be put on hold for awhile when that little one comes!!

shayla

Rocky, you better watch it or I’ll let Pearl loose on you! She’s taking up a new hobbie of eating deer-turds in her spare time. Atleast she shows me where the deer have been! Speaking of deer, gotta go see what’s moving…talk to ya later!

shayla

Rocky, you better watch it or I’ll let Pearl loose on you! She’s taking up a new hobbie of eating deer-turds in her spare time. Atleast she shows me where the deer have been! Speaking of deer, gotta go see what’s moving…talk to ya later!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.