They’re moving!

• freitag
    Osseo, WI

After striking out for the Bear season, I finally have been able to get down to our woods in LaCrosse. Having seen more deer in 4 outings than perhaps all of ’05 season, I’d say things are looking up. Nice thing about this land is that your chances of seeing bucks are probable better than seeing does….also, the prospects of coming across a true monster.
    Last nite was my fourth outing and after seeing 2 shooters last Sunday and unfortunately wounding a massive low-riding 10-12 point, I had mixed feelings about even being out in the woods trying to shoot yet, another deer. Man does that feel terrible. All the practice time, patience for the right shot…and yet still screw it up. I just hope he’s still alive. Hate to have him die and not be appreciated by somebody both as a trophy and as a meal.
    But, there is not much else I care to do than sit in a treestand with a bow…so it wasn’t too difficult to talk myself into venturing out again. If you don’t feel bad about having lost/wounded an animal I don’t think you’re a true sportsman. Not to get too preachy…anyhow, after seeing 3 does come sprinting by (kicked up by a neighboring hunter) I could only enjoy the obnoxious squirrels that would not stop barking….so, I decided to make some noise myself in hopes to get them to shut-up. I know from past experience that during some blind grunting/rattling that the squirrels will either shut up or start in even worse. So, I took out my bleat can after scanning the woods and gave it a tip….squirrels still barking….looked around again and wooooh here comes the wide 8 point I saw last Sunday….not massive and not very high – but wide…well the more looks I got from him head-on the more I leaned towards wantin to take him. After watching him create a new scrape, he would slowly continue to make his way in the direction of an occasional bleat and grunt. After finally comitting to investigate my calls he presented me with a 26 yd broadside shot…not 20 yds from where I had the opportunity Sunday nite at the larger buck. Fifty yards later…and lots of blood…in fact, I have never seen so much blood from an arrowed deer before..those NAP Nitrons had worked quite well…DOWN! He’s not the biggest I have ever shot but he still had my knees shaking for 5 minutes after.
    All I can say is get out there….they sure seem to be moving. This next week should really light up and I will certainly have my boys in the woods trying their luck at their first archery buck. Good luck!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Great job Tagger. Your right on the money. Way to get back at it. The woods needs hunters like you.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Great job Tagger. Your right on the money. Way to get back at it. The woods needs hunters like you.

big g

prieser
    Byron, MN

Nice work Tagger, nice job on not giving up too.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Nice work Tagger, nice job on not giving up too.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Pretty deer! Don’t feel to bad about Mr. Big. Part of the game. Congrad’s! RR

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Great job tagger…way to get back in the saddle! If you’ve spent anytime at all bow hunting, you will eventually lose a deer. But that’s when you have to buck up and head back out! Nice animal!!!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Great job tagger…way to get back in the saddle! If you’ve spent anytime at all bow hunting, you will eventually lose a deer. But that’s when you have to buck up and head back out! Nice animal!!!

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the kind words guys…I’ve been bow hunting for 26 yrs now and that was the second deer never recovered. The first being 3 years ago…about a 145″er.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the kind words guys…I’ve been bow hunting for 26 yrs now and that was the second deer never recovered. The first being 3 years ago…about a 145″er.

timmy

Tagger – You SHOULD feel bad about losing a deer. That shows your heart is in the game. Way to go getting back in the game though!! Nice buck. Hopefully I will post mine afer this weekend.

Tim

timmy

Tagger – You SHOULD feel bad about losing a deer. That shows your heart is in the game. Way to go getting back in the game though!! Nice buck. Hopefully I will post mine afer this weekend.

Tim

coppertop
    Central MN

Tagger, Way to go! Every bowhunter has had that feeling and we just hate it and lose sleep over situations like that. Just keep your eyes open for crows and other creatures that clean up on dead animals, who knows you may be able to recover your antlers. Sorry to hear about the loss but great buck!

coppertop
    Central MN

Tagger, Way to go! Every bowhunter has had that feeling and we just hate it and lose sleep over situations like that. Just keep your eyes open for crows and other creatures that clean up on dead animals, who knows you may be able to recover your antlers. Sorry to hear about the loss but great buck!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice looking 8 tagger, how old is he, about 2 1/2?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice looking 8 tagger, how old is he, about 2 1/2?

freitag
    Osseo, WI

That’s what I figure him to be….about 2 1/2 yo.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

That’s what I figure him to be….about 2 1/2 yo.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.