deck stain

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

hey guys what brand of deck stain have you had best luck with? I am in need of a Solid stain that will not peel up in a year like that Cabot crap I put on it. Has anyone applied a good oil based primer before painting? The internet reviews I can’t completely trust since most of them are reviews from a month or 2 after application. Ive already power washed it and just need some dry days and I will slap some on………TIA

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I spent big money on sherwin williams water based stain and it was crap, i should have gotten the cheap stuff from Menards.

blackbay
    mn

I’ve used TWP on both my cedar fence and treated deck and have been happy with the results. You can get it at Fleet Farm.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

x2 on the TWP stain. I get it in the 5 gallon bucket and I stain every 3 years on the deck. The horizontal railing etc I only do every 5 years. I have cedar decking. The most important thing is to get the deck clean before applying any stain.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There is nothing that lasts on horizontal deck surfaces. Nothing. Like candofish says “every 3 years”
    Home Depot had a product/system that they pitched as “lifetime”. They pulled it after 2 years. It cost them a bundle.

Justin riegel

hey guys what brand of deck stain have you had best luck with? I am in need of a Solid stain that will not peel up in a year like that Cabot crap I put on it. Has anyone applied a good oil based primer before painting? The internet reviews I can’t completely trust since most of them are reviews from a month or 2 after application. Ive already power washed it and just need some dry days and I will slap some on………TIA

All.solid stains will peel, at least on horizontal surfaces

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If you have a deck turn it into a 4 seasons porch. No offense you can’t get stain to stay on a horizontal deck.

barc
    SE MN

x3 on the TWP stain. Tried just about everything over the years and it is the best I have found. I also get it at FF in the 5 gal bucket – it seems to go on sale every month or so during the summer months.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

One Time. It is on the expensive side, but better coverage and durability than the others. Our deck is on year 3, and it still looks like it was just put on.

Homepage

Kyhl
    Savage

x2 on the TWP stain. I get it in the 5 gallon bucket and I stain every 3 years on the deck. The horizontal railing etc I only do every 5 years. I have cedar decking. The most important thing is to get the deck clean before applying any stain.

x4 on TWP and cleaning.

Stay away from Bear from HD. Had the same problem. It was pealing by the end of the first summer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.