Debt free

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X2

That’s 8% I’m losing in all the equity I have in toys…Kinda nice not making payments every month, but the math in my head knows I’m losing money.

X2

This last part cannot be over-stated as a benefit. Financial worry is a, if not THE, number one cause of stress, serious health problems, and worst of all, serious relationship problems. The bottom line is financial stress kills people and it kills marriages.

Whether it be not enough or too much.

X2

I’m not sure a million dollars is enough for decent retirement now days.

It isn’t.

ThunderLund78

Someone said something about Dave Ramsey being a scam, but I don’t think we bought into anything or had to subscribe to a regular subscription or service. Maybe there is something like that if you want to go all-in, but I think my wife just borrowed one of his books from someone else. So he didn’t make a dime off us. I agree a lot of it is common sense; but for some people, especially younger people finding themselves in a lot of debt, it’s tough to know where to even start and he lays it out pretty simply. I would recommend checking him out to anyone.

Musky Ed

Grouse, very well put.
    Koldfront, would depend on your debt, and lifestyle, and whether or not you had some limited amount of pension. Just for info, our total expenses for two homes insurance, utilities,auto insurance, and health insurance is under $16,000 yearly.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    This is a topic I’m pretty passionate about as I get to see the full range of finances. The most compelling was the “savers” couple, she worked fast food and he was a janitor, and they had nearly $1M in the bank and a paid off home at retirement age. While on the flip side the “spenders” couple in their late 40’s made about $2M a year and didn’t have $10k to put down on the $1M boat they bought, and were paying a 23% interest note on it. All this stuff boils down to living within your means, or not.

I’m not sure a million dollars is enough for decent retirement now days.

It’s more than enough when you continue to work and don’t have any plans or needs to touch it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Grouse, very well put.
    Koldfront, would depend on your debt, and lifestyle, and whether or not you had some limited amount of pension. Just for info, our total expenses for two homes insurance, utilities,auto insurance, and health insurance is under $16,000 yearly.

shock shock shock

I spend that on Beer and Pulltabs.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

It’s more than enough when you continue to work and don’t have any plans or needs to touch it.
    [/quote]

I’m not sure I understand:

If you’re retired, why would you continue to work and not spend your retirement money?

Maybe something you enjoy and for a little throw around money.

Screw working a 40 hour job when its time for me to retire.

mnfisherman18

This last part cannot be over-stated as a benefit. Financial worry is a, if not THE, number one cause of stress, serious health problems, and worst of all, serious relationship problems. The bottom line is financial stress kills people and it kills marriages.

Great point here. The Dave Ramsey plan is a conservative one, but he emphasizes this as a benefit of not chasing the interest rate math.

Related to the $80K boat talk (nothing against them or the people that own them), I have found for me personally I get similar enjoyment out of going from say a ~$7,000 boat to a ~$15,000 boat vs. just going for the brand new $35,000 boat. In both scenarios your happiness is going to reset to that level, and you may still get that urge to upgrade in 5 years regardless. I figure I can get very similar enjoyment by stair-stepping my way up to that brand new 1910 Skeeter I have my eye on purchasing some day far in the future.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Every person’s situation is unique. For anyone else to tell you how to manage your finances they have to truly understand your health, income, hobbies, interests, etc. There’s a balance to be considered for being financially responsible for yourself and family while recognizing that nobody is promised tomorrow.

I hope to “retire” at 60 (or earlier) and would not do anything to jeopardize that. Essentially if my home, land, and any other obligations are paid for…I’ll be living well on my retirement package + added investments. To make this all happen, I strategically choose what I spend my money on and avoid impulsivity. I’m healthy now and keep myself in good shape while being active. I’m also very well aware that I have had a majority of my family members never live beyond their 70s. My family’s history isn’t necessarily stacked in my favor.

My hope is that when I walk away from my day-to-day job, I can find something on the side that interests me, challenges me, and generates a little income. It will never be something I need financially, but will gladly take and invest for grandchildren.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

X3, don’t know Ramsey but was fortunate to learn this stuff growing up. Somehow got a little stupid in my 20s doing a career change but corrected shortly there after. Couple notes that have basically been said above.

Current situation: 48 years old, married, cash paid for toys, cars, etc. Starter home mortgage will be paid off next summer. 12 months worth of emergency liquid cash always available.

For an example to support Grouse. In spring 2020 we were facing the possibility of a double job loss. Wife was freaking out and I didn’t give two sh*ts. Saw an opportunity for an awesome summer. Why? Lack of debt leads to low fixed expenses. This is the key I learned in my late 20’s when I got laid off repeatedly doing IT contract work. She ended up with a short furlough and no interruption for me. Either way, wasn’t losing any sleep and no marriage stress.

Cars – 10 years to pay cash. Started the snowball with just $50/month extra on the payment. Tax refund, take 80% and put it on the loan. Paid off early, kept making the same payment to myself = bigger down payment. Make a little more money, $200/mo extra, lather rinse repeat. 10 years after starting the snowball I paid cash for a brand new vehicle. Still make a car payment, just to myself for the day when I buy the replacement.

Brad Dimond

I am 62, looking at retiring at the end of January. Live in the house we bought in 1989, newest vehicle is a 2013. The only things we pay are taxes, utilities, insurance & monthly credit card bills. My wife retired last week but we keep her health insurance until age 65 at the rate we paid while she was working. We’ve lived frugally, only borrowed to buy the house (paid off when the tax advantage disappeared) and to buy vehicles when the interest rates were very low (under 2%).

Soon will be the best time. Got the kid through college with no debt, he pays us back with free airfare from his employer. We’ve been to Europe, Twins Spring Training and other fun places while we worked. Will soon take even greater advantage of the airline passes.

What worked for us is not necessarily what works for all. We are blessed.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Not too happy with what’s going on with capital gains especially the retroactive aspect.
    I have a LOI for my business with a projected closing late October.
    Sure makes things interesting.
    Just told my Broker to tell the buyer to plan on taking a haircut or we ain’t got no deal.
    Broker wasn’t happy but it’s hardball time.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

My wife and I did the Dave Ramsey classes (Financial peace university) and liked them, but we we were ahead of there schedule. So, we decided to offer to pay for any of our nieces and nephews (both sides) to go to the classes and only one of the married couples took us up on the offer! From what we can tell from conversations, all of them live paycheck to paycheck, so sad!!! You can’t teach if they don’t want to learn!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My wife and I did the Dave Ramsey classes (Financial peace university) and liked them, but we we were ahead of there schedule. So, we decided to offer to pay for any of our nieces and nephews (both sides) to go to the classes and only one of the married couples took us up on the offer! From what we can tell from conversations, all of them live paycheck to paycheck, so sad!!! You can’t teach if they don’t want to learn!!!

It’s like smoking or drinking, you can’t force it. At some point they will be ready.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I lived paycheck to paycheck most of my adult life.
    Sometimes there is no choice.

Deuces

Debt free is impressive and all, but I want to know who lives pain free? Yeah, that’s where the moneyball is.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

The surprising thing is that all of them visit our second home/hobby farm and make comments on how it must be nice to have two properties and all of the toys we want, but none of them want to listen how we achieve it! By the way, we never had a combined income over 110K and that is with my wife being a SAHM for at least 10 years (we are both 57 and will be retiring at 60).

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Debt free is impressive and all, but I want to know who lives pain free? Yeah, that’s where the moneyball is.

Ha, No doubt.
    Tried to go water skying 3 weekends ago at the cabin. Haven’t skied in over 30 years. Had about 8-9 Coronas in me and said to the Bartender at the Channel.
    “Hey do ya think that jet ski can pull me up?” He said said he11 yeah.
    I put on the life jacket and the slalom ski, look at the dude next to me and said hold my beer ( yes, i said hold my beer) another guy guy yelled out “don’t you think you should stretch out first”.

Ripped the Hammy!! toast

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Every time this comes up on a forum, 90% have it all together and debt free, yet the national average is like 80% have significant debt. I think the secret to being financially secure is to be a forum member on the internet.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

When everything in this thread is said and done it’s clearly “to each his own”.
    I just know when it’s my time, I’m not going to be sitting in a rocking chair, I’m going to be sliding into home base.
    Giddi-up!

deertracker

Every time this comes up on a forum, 90% have it all together and debt free, yet the national average is like 80% have significant debt. I think the secret to being financially secure is to be a forum member on the internet.

I could talk about my finances, but don’t want to wreck the curve. whistling
    DT

Ripjiggen

Was thinking something similar. I am guessing people that are not so called debt free or what have you are not going to chime in about how they owe this that and the other.
    Different strokes for different folks.

EPG…surely you have pictures of this epic water ski attempt.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Remember when the stimulus package came out…I don’t think one IDO member makes less then $150k. Lol.

Live the life you want. Some are happy with debt and toys, others are happy living a simpler life without debt…and there’s LOT’S who live in-between. There’s no right answer except YOLO!

Timmy

I will speak up for the dept-accepting in-betweeners.

We have had talks about really buckling down and attacking debt while having no life in order to do it, but it always seems like life events of someone we know changed our outlook…..young people getting in accidents, illnesses, etc…. The importance of money seemed to be lessened.

When our boy was young, we did things, had things, and went places – building memories. We didn’t want to burn 5 yrs worrying about every nickel of debt while missing out on living. We didn’t go hog wild, but just accepted that vehicle loans, mortgages, and a boat loan here and there were a part of our lives. No regrets here, all the memories are ours to keep.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The surprising thing is that all of them visit our second home/hobby farm and make comments on how it must be nice to have two properties and all of the toys we want, but none of them want to listen how we achieve it!

Ain’t that the truth! I’m not in your situation with a second home/hobby farm but where we spend our money is basically experiences/vacations. I think it says it all that people will spend smaller amounts on nonsense day in and day out but be amazed someone can afford to go to the Caribbean or Hawaii or something.

I see it all the time at work, some people will come in every day with $10 or more of Kwik Trip food while I’m making all mine at home and washing/reusing Ziploc bags. Then February comes and it’s “geez must be nice to go to a beach every winter”

Wildlifeguy

No regrets here, all the memories are ours to keep.

Well said Timmy. I had a high school classmate, she was big into the Ramsey stuff, did debt coaching and the like. Spoke often about the ways in which she was “living frugally” by not taking vacations with her kids, not enrolling them in expensive extra curriculars, buying fancy toys and the like to save for their financial future. Always for the future. She died last year at 42. I get the concept, I understand why its important to be financially responsible, but I also know how my knees feel when I get up in the morning, and that my chance to connect with my boys gets one day shorter every night. I guess I’d rather be poor while I’m broken down and miserable in old age, after having lived an exciting, memorable life, than broken down and miserable, unable to enjoy the rewards of NOT living.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Lol funny and true

Brad Dimond

I’m making all mine at home and washing/reusing Ziploc bags. Then February comes and it’s “geez must be nice to go to a beach every winter”

Buy a couple of reusable sandwich containers at Target. Much easier to wash than a Ziploc bag and nothing going to the landfill when discarded.

Brittman

Sure plenty of big spenders out their. I worked with a couple years ago that bought new snowmobiles every winter and traded for jet skis in the summer.

I am sure many live beyond their means, but one input was missed here …

Inheritance … there are plenty of people that inherit quite a bit of money from parents and grandparents or that uncle without kids.

I know quite a few people that came from a farm family, no one stayed on the farm and … dad and mom cash rented. Trusts created … land sold when parents die.

A quarter section of good reliable farm land will get you $320K – $360K or more … Two sections of land … three kids … Oh boy.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

One thing I hear quite a bit that baffles me is with regards to social security. You can start collecting at age 62 but I hear a lot of people say they’re going to wait until say 65 because they’ll get a extra $300 or so per month. Let’s say for math purposes you could get $20,000 a year starting at 62, that’s sixty grand by the time your 65. That extra 300 a month would take 16.5 years to hit $60,000. Take it while you’re young enough to enjoy it.

Well put Scott!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.