Custom Rod

• KD7633
    Iowa

Looking for a light/medium-light rod for finesse walleye jigging (hair jigs, live bait, etc…). I have a few heavier G. Loomis and Elliott Bros. rods but looking to try something new, preferably custom, to get my hands on. Any recommendations for this application?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Not sure where your from, adding that in your profile helps immensely so we can recommend a rod builder close to you.
    Thorne Brothers in Blaine is a good place to start in the North metro but there are many custom builders around, including many on this site.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I just recently purchased a JT jtx mag light. I have used it on two fish outings and just love the action. It handled a 4 lb. bass no problem. The cost was just over $300. I was casting 1/4 ounce jig with paddle tail. Using 8 lb. braid with 6 lb floro.

popcorn

Have you considered building your own? I just started about 2 months ago and have built 3 so far. Mudhole makes it pretty easy to get started and their mhx blanks have a lifetime warranty. Not counting drying time I probably spend 3-4hrs on a rod. I’m by no means a pro and I haven’t gotten fancy with wrapping but the possibilities are endless. It is a little tedious but in the end you’ll have something to be proud of.

Deuces

Lots of builders out there nowadays. Pick up the phone and start calling around see who you connect with.

What exactly are you looking for in a custom rod that you aren’t finding in off the shelf stuff? I don’t need those answers but your builder will, the more info you can give what precisely you want the happier you will be with the final product.

Just interesting you lump hair jigs with livebait rigs, two entirely seperate rods IMO but to each his own.

Good luck to your new rod! Exciting stuff getting new toys.

Sylvanboat

I would caution against buying a “custom” rod sight unseen. Most of my rods are St Croix but I have bought other rods, like Grandt. My Grandt rods are different from my St Croixes. Ex: a Grandt MH is more like a St Croix H. My Grandts also feel differently. I am not saying St Croix is better but the two companies make their rods differently. Hope this helps.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I just recently purchased a JT jtx mag light. I have used it on two fish outings and just love the action. It handled a 4 lb. bass no problem. The cost was just over $300. I was casting 1/4 ounce jig with paddle tail. Using 8 lb. braid with 6 lb floro.

I have had this rod for a few years now and it is a great rod for sure. Another one to consider is the TUCR APEX. It lists as a M-XF but has a lighter feel to it. I also had a TUCR APEX Elite that was listed as a M-XF but it had a heavier/stiffer feel than the standard APEX. Going with TUCR allows for you to pick and choose colors of the threads for the eyelets so you can customize it to an extent, more so than JT Customs

DOC24

I Like the Jt Custom rods. I would suggest the the 7’3″ mag light is the rod your looking for. Great finesse rod. Ive used it for live bait rigging, light jigs, ned rig and hair jigs. Great all around rod that can be used for lots of techniques.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Take a look at the St Croix SC5 blanks for your custom build paired with some Titanium guides and a light weight handle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.