Custom Rod Builders

• sheppy

Hello IDO,

I’m new to the site and am interested in adding to my custom ice rod collection. Im looking for a “custom” rod that is not manufactured by Tuned Up Custom Rods, DH, JT or Thorne Bros. Any suggestions as far as builders to go to?

Thanks in advance!!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Why not a rod by one of them? If you tell Thorne Brothers what you want they will make anything any garage builder could make. There also are some great garage builders on this site who may offer their services. I just started building my own rods and I am loving it.

sheppy

Why not a rod by one of them? If you tell Thorne Brothers what you want they will make anything any garage builder could make. There also are some great garage builders on this site who may offer their services. I just started building my own rods and I am loving it.

I’ve tried all the name brands and would like to try something different. I think theres many talented rod builders out there and I would love to give one of them a chance. There were some pictures i found on the interweb of some very nice looking ice rods. Im interested in those and was hoping these builders might be on this site. I’m not sure how to get ahold of them because I know nothing about the builders (names, locations. ect..)

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

What are you looking for? I am guessing an ice rod since it is in the ice fishing form. Are you targeting walleye, perch, crappie, sunfish, lake trout…..? action? Carbon fiber, fiberglass…..? can you give us a little more information of what you are looking for?

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Ace custom rods He is a rod building wizard and can build anything you can imagine!

sheppy

What are you looking for? I am guessing an ice rod since it is in the ice fishing form. Are you targeting walleye, perch, crappie, sunfish, lake trout…..? action? Carbon fiber, fiberglass…..? can you give us a little more information of what you are looking for?

Not exactly sure what I’m looking for but I do want something different. By different I mean, a rod that was though of outside the box, is unique and not comparable to anything else. I know it exists because I have seen pictures of some very unique and cool looking rods. Not sure how they perform, but I dont want something that the guy next to me can get or has.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>

Not exactly sure what I’m looking for but I do want something different. By different I mean, a rod that was though of outside the box, is unique and not comparable to anything else. I know it exists because I have seen pictures of some very unique and cool looking rods. Not sure how they perform, but I dont want something that the guy next to me can get or has.

search Face Book for ….https://www.facebook.com/groups/190324618191051/

sheppy

Build your own

I’ve put a lot of thought into it but I travel for work and time is an issue. I’d rather spend that tone with my family or fishing.

timhahn4

I agree with building our own. I just built five for myself and it was a fun learning experience. I got the blanks form St Croix rod in Park Falls Wisconsin for $25 a piece. The rest of the components were from Thorne Brothers. I will say that it costs about $60 to build your own nice rod though, but that is better that $120 and way more fun.

Also last night I just saw a guy on Minnesota bound making the handles out of game used hockey sticks. That was kind of unique, but not sure how well they work.

folke2000

Look up Chad Huderle in Prior Lake, you wont be disappointed. He makes some amazing theme rods.

sheppy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sheppy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>

search Face Book for ….https://www.facebook.com/groups/190324618191051/

Thank you for the link and pointing me in the right direction. I was able to find the person I had been searching for.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

2 incredibly talented builders who aren’t huge names in the mainstream here in MN are Andy Wolfram and Adam Bricker. A quick google search can pull up some of their work. Would be worth checking them out.

Josh Hedstrom

2 incredibly talented builders who aren’t huge names in the mainstream here in MN are Andy Wolfram and Adam Bricker. A quick google search can pull up some of their work. Would be worth checking them out.

Seen some of Brickers rods. Those looked like artwork!

sheppy

Thanks to the link that was provided above directing me to Facebook, I was able to find one of the two builders that I was searching for. His name is Chris and I’ve never seen anything like this in person plus I am a fan of DH and this rod is a DH noodle. His name is Chris. Thanks all for the suggestions!!

Attachments:
    1. 68F93953-8DBD-4A39-AA3B-2F2199809537.jpeg

2. C9CB4C74-8052-4865-9AB6-ABD166E5E9A8.jpeg

3. B1BC305E-6EA1-4823-889D-46DA60CB47D8.jpeg

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

You should have started your post with what custom rod builder knows how to do a tiger wrap. And I thought you were looking for a special action, not just looks. Chris does some great work.

sheppy

You should have started your post with what custom rod builder knows how to do a tiger wrap. And I thought you were looking for a special action, not just looks. Chris does some great work.

I didn’t know what i was looking for or even what a tiger wrap was. Chris does outstanding work and is also a great guy! He took the time to show me some other insane rods that he had and even explained how he did them. In my opinion the coolest part was when i had mentioned that i had interest in building my own rods. Chris didn’t even hesitate to offer help/mentor me.

Side note, I had mention to Chris that i posted this on the IDO forum because he was wondering how I know to find him in the facebook group. He chuckled a little bit and then told me that there was a member from this forum that went out of his what to deliver a low blow. Its not my place to explain what happened but I feel that this IDO member owes him a massive apology for the stress and conflicts that the IDO member cause between Chris and his rod building colleges and business affiliates. Its pretty clear that this was done out of spite and with no good intentions other to be malicious. I really don’t know Chris that well but I felt bad for him after our conversation.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I was wondering why he left this form. That is too bad and yes he is a great guy.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

2nd that, you’ll be 100% satisfied with whatever Chris builds you – thats a given. Great guy and a stand up member of the rod building community.

If you ever do decide to start building on your own feel free to join the linked FB group and post any questions you may have – There are a ton of knowledgeable and helpful members in that group willing to bring folks up to speed.

sheppy

2nd that, you’ll be 100% satisfied with whatever Chris builds you – thats a given. Great guy and a stand up member of the rod building community.

If you ever do decide to start building on your own feel free to join the linked FB group and post any questions you may have – There are a ton of knowledgeable and helpful members in that group willing to bring folks up to speed.

Thanks Mat!

Justin Carlson
    Lennox SD

Mat Do you have the name of the facebook group for builders?

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

message sent

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.