Custom ice rods

• Nicholas

I am thinking of upgrading some rods to custom ice rods. I’m wondering what are the best two rods for panfish and the best two rods for walleye? Also has anyone ever used a rod from hooked custom rods?

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Already marked this as a “favorite”

Brady Valberg

I like my precision and my bullwhip for both species actually…my brother landed a 26 eye earlier this year on his bullwhip with 3# line it was quite comical to watch

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

This has the potential to get really good.I will get it started.TUCR Bullwhip and PN for panfish or maybe a QT or Fusion.Fusion,Precision,or Power Precision for walleyes.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

first, one must ask, what makes it a custom ice rod?

Iowaboy1

I have had some custom ice rods,I cussedem up one side and I cussedem down the other.

Dylan Salow

Love all my tuned up custom rods. Bullwhip and precision noodle for panfish. Fusion and precision for walleye personally. I’ll never forget the first time fishing with my first custom bullwhip. I knew from that moment i’d never go back to anything else. From better feel to customization these rods have a lot to offer.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

my work is done here

Nicholas

first, one must ask, what makes it a custom ice rod?

I guess I just mean a high end rod such as TUCR or hooked etc..

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I would recommend a DH Customs Al Dente and TUCR Bullwhip for panfish, the DH Customs would be for smaller/lighter jigs and the Bullwhip give you the flexibility for some heavier tungstens or small spoons/rippin raps.

For walleyes, I would go with the TUCR Fusion and the Commander. The Fusion for the smaller/lighter baits and Commander for most anything from 1/8oz on up. You could swap the Fusion for the TUCR Quick Tip, similar size baits just a different action/feel when you get a hit

These are based on my experiences, and Im sure you will get a lot more from others. I have not used any ice rods from JT Customs at this point so I cant provide insight on those

Dan Baker

For panfish I recommend TUCR Bullwhip and Fusion. For Walleye I recommend TUCR Precision and Commander.
    Dan

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Panfish:
    Precision Noodle for light tungsten jigs (2-3mm) and Eurolarvae
    Bullwhip for heavier jigs (4mm – 1/32oz and up), tiny spoons, and pounding plastics

Walleye:
    Precision for spoons
    Commander for Raps and spoons 1/4oz and up.

Still trying to figure out where the Fusion fits in. It may get sold.

For panfish, I use glass noodle types more, but prefer the Thorne Quiverstick whenever possible. Fun rods.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Panfish, DH gill seeker, DH perch pounder, Thorne panfish sweetheart and perch sweetheart, walleye, perch sweetheart, perch pounder, tucr commander , DH walleye stinger. Thorne walleye sweetheart.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve purchased many of the brands that have been mentioned……

I still go back to “Thorne Brothers”

Perch Sweetheart “my favorite”
    • <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye Sweetheart

I’m in the exact same boat. I think Thorne bros makes a top of the line rod. My 3 Thorne bros rods get used over all my other “custom” rods. That and one that tuma built me. If any one remembers him.

Aaron Drier

I just roll my own.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20181207_215002.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

There is no such thing as a custom ice rod. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do yourself a favor & stop into Thorne Bros.
    Get yourself a “Perch Sweetheart”
    Your investment will be in the range of $100-$110

You can utilize this rod for Walleye & larger panfish.

That’s my 2-cents

Good Luck on your choice
    & Happy New Years!!

waytogo yup.

Nick Schmitz

I build all of my own rods. Each rod I build is custom. From the blank to the handle to the thread and guides. That makes it custom. IMO tuned up rods are way over priced production rods. The bullwhip rod has a severe dead spot towards the tip which it shouldn’t. The rest of their rods are not that great either. The guide placement of the others are not where they should be. They need more guides to utilize the blanks flex. Recoil guides are not worth the extra cost as most of us do not fish outside when it gets that cold outside anyways.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

hehehe

wink

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

This is like running near the pool, with loaded scissors!!!
    Happy New Year Everyone!

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

lol

Jeff Telander

I’m sure there are a few people (myself included) on this site who would be happy to build you a truly custom rod. And by custom I mean taylor made, to order, one of a kind, specifically for you. Custom!

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Aaron Drier, what kind of case is that? I’ve got a narrow frabil ice rod case, and I get sick of having to fold the reel handles down, especially with cold hands. Thanks.

Btw, nice rods

Aaron Drier, what kind of case is that?

That’s an Eagle Claw.

Everyone have a fun, happy and safe 2019 using their short sticks; may they be from China, Edina or truly custom, made by a guy named Taylor!

BtW, anyone see the St Croix Custom Ice series on sale yet? I want try some without busting into my Livescope fund. rotflol

hnd

customization is the idea that youve picked most of the specifications of a product. most custom rod builders ask you a handful of questions and and then build the rod to those specifications.

I fish primarily for panfish and use noodle rods.

Erik Kruger built my custom rods. i also have a TUCR. i wanted semi long but long enough to be used in my flip over.

lots of guys will build you exactly what you want.

TUCR/Thorne while mass producing these rods, they are still in my opinion customs. but when enough people ask for a rod with the exact same specifications, mass producing them makes it easier to get them in your customers hands.

That said, while i love my custom noodles, The mass produced corps are beginning to churn out some pretty nice noodle rods. I bought a clam power noodle, a berkley series one noodle, and a snitch. the clam and berkley are almost as good as my customs. the snitch is a little stiffer i use it for big spoons.

st croix’s avid is a noodle rod, the dead meat by jason mitchell, clam have higher end ones.

so don’t fear staying mass produced. they are catching up.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Custom means that the rod is made for you by a rod artist. Who comes up with cool handles and really cool rods no one else has and makes your friends jealous.

Attachments:
    1. E8B0E9D8-4DF5-4724-B6A9-8C1E141BDE4D.png

2. F6C39011-D03A-4744-B9A0-CA1B01E14E91.png

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Custom means that the rod is made for you to what ever you want.

Attachments:
    1. E8B0E9D8-4DF5-4724-B6A9-8C1E141BDE4D-1.png

2. F6C39011-D03A-4744-B9A0-CA1B01E14E91-1.png

onepine
    Elk River

I just had 4 Mudd Creek Custom rods made. They were very good about putting the rod together with the rod power,thread color,grips,guides, and length you want. I have DH custom Aldente and perch pounder and JT custom panfish snare the Mudd Creek rods are a bullwhip and a ML Walleye rod. I seem to always gravitate to the Aldente just because I am a much better sight fisherman than a feel fisherman.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.