Crossbow help

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Well, its time i think to seriously look at crossbows. I have something ripped apart in my shoulder and can’t draw a bow back at all. Turned it down to under 45# and still couldn’t do it. So, in the meanwhile, I may need to opt for a reasonable package deal that is nearly ready out of the box.
    Suggestions – modifications – things to look out for – whats good/bad. Never seriously looked at them or considered them until yesterday. Any help is appreciated.

deertracker

Does it matter if it has compound or recurve limbs?
    DT

prieser
    Byron, MN

Friend just bought the Parker Enforcer – out the door with soft case and extra bolts around $750.00 if I remember right. We shot it three weeks ago, took 4-5 bolts to get zero’d in at 20 yards and then with the built in distant marks on the scope he was shooting lights out, out to 50 yards. For an off the shelf, pre-set up package, I was impressed.

I know there are many more option, but this was quiet, accurate and reasonable. Good luck Randy.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I can’t tell by just looking at crossbows what makes one better than the other. Some are over $1000 and others are on sale for $200…. and I can’t see a bit of difference in function or performance! The difference in FPS is minimal and may have no impact on your personal situation whatsoever.

Dad bought a Barnett a few years ago for a couple hundred bucks and it’s been durable, accurate, and I love the features! It has a dry fire safety system so you can’t dry fire, it pulls okay but came ready for an accessory crank if desired, came with everything he needed…..

I just picked up a Barnett Brotherhood outfit at Fleet Farm on clearance. Paid $350 and it came with everything I needed except field tips. I bought extra bolts, a case, and a crossbow block target. By function or feature, there’s no difference between mine or my dad’s. Mine has a scope vs. red dot and is done up in HD Camo. That’s it.

It zeroed quickly. Shoots well enough to split bolts. I don’t know what else I need, other than some venison to walk within range. Try to figure out if you need a crank or not and if so, make sure that what you buy is ready for one. Also, the crossbow block is worth it! Regular archery blocks won’t hold the bolts. I can de-cock with a practice bolt into the target point blank and it won’t go through. Saved me from buying a de-cocking bolt!

I just don’t know that you have to spend a lot to have a great or greater experience. I see it more with bows but even there, they all kill deer dead so……. it’s all up to you.

Ryan Scholl

My dad has had shoulder problems for a a while now and hasn’t been able to shoot his bow for the past few seasons. He did a ton of research on crossbows and settled on the Mission Sniper Lite. It shoots 310 fps with a 150# pull. Its not bad to pull back at all. He also just had back surgery and he has no problem pulling it back. The higher speed crossbows have a much higher pull. This one blows right through my layered target that will stop the arrows coming out of my bow. I’ve shot the crossbow and it seems very nice. Recurve crossbows are supposed to hold up better, but he didn’t want to pull back so much weight. His new Mission put down a deer just fine opening day. I was impressed with its performance.

John Luebker

I have shot the barrnet raptor. Gander only one but have really liked it. We just shoot for fun but at 40 yards we shoot inch circles. Almost no fun lol… I said almost

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

thanks for the suggestions. I prefer to not stick $1000 into a crossbow. Hoping after I see Doc Holiday I get my shoulder back to normal.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hey Randy, it’s been awhile since I checked IDO and saw we share shoulder issues. I got my TenPoint Titan Extreme last year after my Barnett cracked the first time out. I was able to return it to Cabela’s. The Barnett was a about a $500 package and I was satisfied with it until I started using the TenPoint (free upgrade/exchange at Cabela’s for the ~$800 package). The Titan Extreme is smooth and a straight shooter, 3 for 3 in the field. Longest shot ~45 yds. Hope your results are better but for me once my shoulder problems started they never went away. 3 surgeries to date. I read over 60% of aging adults have or had a shoulder injury. Good luck!

I am now fully retired and picked up a Pointer so spent lots less time fishing and more time with him. He had a great first year pheasant hunting on the Jefferson Marsh and Princess Point – now if I could only shoot straighter we’d make a great pair. My ice season has barely started but the 2 times I’ve been out for gills were highly productive on the family Helenville pond.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

X2 on the Mission Sniper Lite. If you do make the move, look at the weight of the bow itself. I handled the 10 Point first, then the Mission and there was a noticeable difference. I can’t say about the Barnett or any other bow.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

My dad used a Parker enforcer been a really good bow. A friends son has been using it for a few year and killed a lot of deer. The maintenance is important with all bows. Lube strings etc. they move so fast a little issue comes a big one. Most companies make decent bow. All have us and downs. I would definitely look into a crank setup for cocking. Whether built in or separate. Well worth it.

riverruns
    Inactive

Does anyone feel a little dirty about using a crossbow? I always felt it was a reason for the DNR to bring in more $ and it has.

I know. It’s legal and everyone does it. Why not me. I have a hard time crossing this fence. If I had a disability I could see the reasoning.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I feel if your capable to use a vertical bow you should. I feel it is a bit of cheating for archery but I also don’t like wounded animals. I also don’t like government telling me what I can and can’t do. Rather it be a personal choice.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

You can go with the big brand names or take the cheaper route like I did. I wasn’t sure if I would even like hunting deer out of a tree so the money I invested was going to be minimal.For 250.00 I found a like new crosssbow, and all the accessories and that worked for me. There are lots and lots of deals like that out there. I took it out the first time this fall and shot a respectable buck that went about 15 yards after the shot and tipped over. So, with that being said, minimal investment with great results. By the way, this inexpensive crossbow also came with very high reviews and the buying it off the shelf is under $300.00. Good luck with your search!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I had a shoulder replacement and the Doc said absolutely no more bow hunting for me. So now that I have a crossbow permit, I’ve been looking into getting one a little bit, and thought I’d bump up this thread. I stopped into Cabin Fever and shot one of the new Ravin crossbows, and man was that thing sweet! Obviously not too pumped about paying $1500-2000 for a bow, but that’s where I’m leaning. Tell me I’m wrong! lol or any other advice?

dbright
    Cambridge

My buddy picked up the r9 last year and it has shot great at any distance we have tried. At Bowfest they have a 200 yard shoot with their flagship model. Just about anyone can hit the bale at 200 with it and alot of guys were making great shots and even shooting decent groups. They are pricey but you buy a flagship bow for close to the same price and can nearly double to get it setup to shoot. Broadheads were the only thing my buddy needed to buy to hit the woods.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They are pricey but you buy a flagship bow for close to the same price and can nearly double to get it setup to shoot.

That’s what I was thinking, and since the string doesn’t ride on the rail like most crossbows the maintenance is next to nil.

Bassn Dan

Knew someone that couldn’t load theirs and if they missed a shot they had to leave to get the crossbow reloaded, so make sure that’s doable with your shoulder issue.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Knew someone that couldn’t load theirs

Thanks, it’s a crank load (what I need for my shoulder) and I thought it was pretty easy, but everyone’s mileage may vary.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

ravin r 10 100yards 3 inch group 400 fps cost a bit but 5 year warranty this thing is awesome

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Does anyone feel a little dirty about using a crossbow? I always felt it was a reason for the DNR to bring in more $ and it has.

I know. It’s legal and everyone does it. Why not me. I have a hard time crossing this fence. If I had a disability I could see the reasoning.

At some point, MN will allow them for everyone during archery season. I don’t know when that is, but its coming. Inevitably coming.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.