Just when I thought I seen it all…

• BomberA

My friend had his family over for the weekend, so I volunteered my boat so that we could do a little 3 boat smallie chasing excursion on Sat morning.

So, we are fishing dabove the Kinni a little ways and he is throwing a popper. We started on a point and had a few smallies snip at it and miss. So, we just kept heading down the shoreline when all of a sudden, about a 36″ inch muskie comes straight out of the water, leaps over the popper, misses it completely and dives back in. Now I know this really isn’t nothing too rare to see, however, as the muskie dives back into the water, one of the trebles latches onto about a 10 inch Lamprey that was attached to the muskie and my buddy reels in the Lamprey dangling on the treble hook. I don’t think I will ever see that scenario play out again.

To report on the smallies. We fished from 6-9:30 and between 3 boats, we had only 9 legal fish and then probably 10 shorts per each boat as well. They are definately getting spread out and and not as active with the hot sun overhead. I didn’t see much surface breaking and most fish came on the classic tube or else a smallie beaver.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.