ice status

• bill mitchell

was down yesterday checkin thickness for putting my heavy a#@ fish house out..got about 8 to 8 1/2 all the way across from bayport to the wisc side..as for north or south of there i cant say..fishing according to a few guys i spoke to has been spotty…its a skating rink out there so bring your skates..please use caution with this warm weather..this will loosen up fast..side note beanies ramp is ready to go and the water below 94 is fishable..

josh a

drove down there after work today to see if anybody was out. couldn’t believe there was a guy cruising around on a 4 wheeler. does anybody have a good guess as to whether or not the ice will be safe to walk on tommorrow morning?

bill mitchell

did you not read the post above..8 to 8.5 inches..more then enough to walk on let alone a 4 wheeler..shore is kinda beat up but otherwise all is well for now

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

does anybody have a good guess as to whether or not the ice will be safe to walk on tommorrow morning?

Actually it’s not safe to walk on, unless you have cleats

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Hows the ice looking? Are Guys still driving full sized trucks?

josh a

i was out in a truck yesterday morning, but it may be the snowmobile for the rest of the season, the ice was cracking quite a bit. Also I watched an suv break through the ice heave located just upstream of the open water on the wisconsin side. he didn’t go through or get stuck but he definatly broke some ice.

bill mitchell

thanx for the update..hopefully we get some cold temps before the end of the season..cross fingers

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I’m looking to head out tomorrow to do a little fishing, and I was wondering if anybodys having any luck in the community spots? Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks

josh a

the community spots are easy to figure out, any small crappie jig with a crappie minnow will work. i also have been having luck jigging with a green/glow swedish pimple with just the head and body on. i like to jig about 6 feet off the bottom when the fish are active, the bigger ones will come up quite a ways, and the further you raise them the more likely they are to bite. i’ve found that when the bite slows down i can bounce the jig off the bottom for a minute or two, than slowly lift to get fish to follow, they don’t always bite but its at least nice to get there attention

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

i was out in a truck yesterday morning, but it may be the snowmobile for the rest of the season, the ice was cracking quite a bit. Also I watched an suv break through the ice heave located just upstream of the open water on the wisconsin side. he didn’t go through or get stuck but he definatly broke some ice.

Josh,

What open water are you talking about the swing bridge, Lake Malileau spillway, or the power plant?

Thanks,

Turk

josh a

that was by the power plant

josh a

anybody out today have an ice update? any large cracks or bad areas?

bill mitchell

was out tuesday thru thursday ..the wisc shoreline access is a little rough but other then that it seemed all good..i still recommmend using caution when driving in all areas ..its a skating rink for sure as well..bring your cleats

josh a

thanks bill, maybe i’ll drive the cavalier out tommorrow

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

thanks bill, maybe i’ll drive the cavalier out tommorrow

I was thinking the same thing. Usually when you get on the ice you’re fine with a car. How is the access/hill on the WI side? Good enough for a vee dub?

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

How is the access/hill on the WI side? Good enough for a vee dub?

The WI Ferry Landing access is not so good. If it is a warm day the springs keep two feet of water open between the ice and shore. You need 4 wheel drive.
    However there is one spot where the ice heave was busted up and you can drive over that and bypass the little bit of open water, but if that heave melts by the spring water (not sure that can or will happen)then you will be back to needing a four wheel drive.

Good news is access on MN side is good.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Looked Like a truck not too far south of the Stillwater bridge today. Maybe they were everywhere? I couldn’t see shanty town from the bridge.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

we were out yesterday we used the mn side landing and there were quite a few full size trucks out there , we drove a suburban out and there was 17″ everywhere we drilled . we dident go to the main communities of shacks we mostly fished away from them in about 22ft . got a few decent crappies and a smally to boot but fishing was pretty slow otherwise. Not a strong current either my jig was pretty much under the hole and easy to see on the vex. They seemed to respond well to my glow red demon jigs tipped with euros, or my green diamond jigs tipped with euros, they were feeding about 5-7 ft off the bottom and were looking for heavy jiggen.
    good luck out there and yes dont forget your cleats !!!

Tight Lines !!!

josh a

did anybody else have a tough time getting anything to bite today??? Only 5 crappies in 3.5 hours than left, marked several but they wouldn’t bite, maybe time for some new spots

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

did anybody else have a tough time getting anything to bite today??? Only 5 crappies in 3.5 hours than left, marked several but they wouldn’t bite, maybe time for some new spots

or baits

josh a

has anybody been out this week? how’s the ice?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Ice is still constant and safe in the main basin area, cant speak of the power lines or south by the dam.
    Though, use caution along the ice crack traveling north and south along Anderson point drilled a hole in it and the ice 5 to 6 inches thick on the edges
    and gets wider the further north you go.

bill mitchell

just wanted to give everybody a heads up..the access on the mn. side is in rough shape..a pick up put his front end through at the edge this morning and had to be pulled out..if your using this access just go to the far left of the main access point or stay to the right of the main access point..you will see a large hole..avoid it or pay the price..by the way its a sloppy mess out there

zoomer
    Twin Cities

I could not sleep this am decided to head to the Croix was there at 5 am drove to the acess and it looked slushy got out of the car to check it out and got a soaker. Did not have the Cajones to give it a go. Ended up at White Bear for the morning. Glad I decided to not give it a go.
    Zoomer.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

The access is getting hairy that’s for sure. Front end went through last night coming off during the snow could hardly see with all that wind and snow. Luckily I had enough momentum to get out. Thought I was done for when the rears went in as I only have 2 wheel drive.

Stinker of a bite that’s until 5:30 with a short mad bite that lasted 25 minutes. 5 -12 inch crappies and a 17inch sauger. 5pm did get a couple small/cigar walleyes again those little guys sure like that white pink fiska.

zoomer
    Twin Cities

How is the Bayport access holding up on the MN side?

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

How bad was the croix hit in Bayport with this snow/ice storm? Rain, or snow? Access / Ice predictions or reports.

I was out there last weekend on Saturday. The access at Bayport was good as long as you didn’t go near the cones. I drilled on 17″ on the north end of Shanty Town, and 16.5″ about 1/2 mile north of Shanty Town.

I’m hoping to return this weekend, pending drivable ice.

buck-slayer

Someone drove out from N Hudson landing today.

bill mitchell

we got about 4 inches or so in the area..i took my wheel house off tuesday just because i thought we might be getting a lot more snow then we did..both accesses were in reasonably good shape considering the weather we have or havent had..it was a skating rink out there tuesday..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.