Could It Be?

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It sure looks like it. It’s probably still at least month away but the forecast is looking promising for at least the next ten days. Got my new TUCR laker rod that still needs a proper drag peeling break-in.

Attachments:
    1. image107.jpg

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I recognize that view! Keep us posted on the ice progress!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s yesterday’s satellite image.

Attachments:
    1. image111.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Today!

Attachments:
    1. image12.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s on the cusp of freezing now. Still a month or so away I’d say. Gotta have that -20 and light winds from the NE.

Attachments:
    1. image42.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Oh baby! It’ll all be gone by the weekend though.

Attachments:
    1. image52.jpg

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

What’s the word on Superior? It’s been pretty warm down in the cities, is it looking like a no-go for walk out laker fishing this year?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

That’s a bucket list trip for me! Sounds like an absolute riot. I assume I could use a open water rod with about a foot or so cut off and a baitcaster?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What’s the word on Superior? It’s been pretty warm down in the cities, is it looking like a no-go for walk out laker fishing this year?

Last yar my first trip of 5 was the first weekend of March. We still have a ways to go. There’s bo chance it’ll be like last year though.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That’s a bucket list trip for me! Sounds like an absolute riot. I assume I could use a open water rod with about a foot or so cut off and a baitcaster?

Sure, but you’ll lose some functionality somewhere. There are some rather inexpensive rods out there for this. I found a few at Thorne bros for about $30 that would work great.

I have yet to buy a bait caster for laker fishing. I may end up getting one in the future sometime to see what the hype is about.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

Sure, but you’ll lose some functionality somewhere. There are some rather inexpensive rods out there for this. I found a few at Thorne bros for about $30 that would work great.

I have yet to buy a bait caster for laker fishing. I may end up getting one in the future sometime to see what the hype is about.

I was just at Mills and they have some pretty stout ice rods, 48″ in that price range. I just have an old open water baitcaster I’d use, not sure I’d buy an ice specific one.
    Thanks!

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

With any luck, I’d rather be out trolling for these fish instead of on the ice. Was out the 2nd weekend of March a few years ago.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Hey gill, where do you pull your satellite photos from? Couldn’t make it out in the photos…Thanks!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looking good but from what I hear there’s only a couple inches. A windy end of the week is really going to test this sheet.

Attachments:
    1. image33.jpg

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

A buddy said people were out off of 21st ave e. today. Marine General reports 6-8″ off 21st and about 2″ by brighton beach. Will be heading out middle of next week, will report my findings.

biff

Numerous people fishing off 21st yesterday (Friday). There was some ice off the Lester but wind blew most of it out. Strong winds blowing out today. Have to see what that does.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Any update? What was the spot James was off of last winter when they were killing the lakers not more than a couple hundred yards offshore?

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

there is anywhere from 6-10 inches of ice near 21st ave. with the last winds we had it broke up the ice just past brighton beach. My buddy fell threw twice yesterday I don’t know where he was however. I don’t know where James was but anywhere out there its a nice drop off out there any you don’t have to go out very far. Lakers are hitting best in 70 to 80FOW but the best fishing is for cohos in 30-50FOW using little crappie jigs with a minnow head or waxies. Please be safe out there and have your ice picks.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Ice Report
    due to high winds out of the west the ice has been on the move. The winds have been breaking up the ice into large football field size chunks You could still probably find fishable ice in shallower for cohos and loopers, but when you are out there and if you know anything about Superior things can be fine and the next second you are sailing into the abyss. I would advise not being out there until the winds die down. If you do go out there have your picks and a life jacket don’t be in your house without looking out the window every five min. A group of us were out there on Saturday and caught a 10 pounder but after an hour of fishing a chunk of ice (had people fishing on it the day before) broke and went for an adventure needless to say we got out of there in a heart beat. don’t go up past 21ft ave. Brighton is very very sketchy.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

the icebreakers were suppose to start today.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

the icebreakers were suppose to start today.

No biggie. Unless your 5 miles out.

Attachments:
    1. image20.jpg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.