Cougar (cat not an older woman) running about Minneapolis

• Brittman

DNR and home security cams confirm a true cougar (mountain lion) is running loose in the Lowry Hill neighborhood of Minneapolis.

Not the first one to wonder on through the metro.

FinnyDinDin

What do you think the cougars wonder about in the metro? lol wink

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Saw this yesterday. That would get my attention.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There are tons of things for an outsider cat to wonder about while passing through Minneapolis:

-Why does this baseball team keep spending less when they get competitive?
    -Who taught people to drive here?
    -Can they possibly pour more salt on these roads?
    -Where could a person hide $17 billion around here if he wanted to steal it from innocent people?
    -Why do taxpayers keep paying for the rich guys’ professional sports team stadiums?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

-Where is the litter box?

(I really don’t want to see the answers to this question)

Deuces

That is freaking wild. Was just there yesterday.

Makes sense w the parkways around there a lil bit but still, amazing it’s gotten that far, that’s about as city as it gets right there.

Greg C

It got hit on hwy 100 and hwy 12

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep. Taking a dirt nap now.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sure seems to be a lot of them showing up lately. This one in MSP, Princeton, Carver and a couple other places. Pretty odd for not supposedly living here.

CaptainMusky

Sure seems to be a lot of them showing up lately. This one in MSP, Princeton, Carver and a couple other places. Pretty odd for not supposedly living here.

And the DNR was saying it was likely all the same one. Hardly!

ThunderLund78

One article I read said it was the first sighting in Hennepin Co in more than 20 years – but that’s BS – one got hit at 35W and 494 about two years ago and that was all over the news. Bloomington Residents had reported sightings for several days before.

Hunting24seven

It was hit and killed by a truck this morning on 394. Judging by the pictures the driver swerved and hit the barrier. The front end of their truck was destroyed.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

“never see a cougar before”… Lady, I got news for ya, you might just be one!

Walleyeguy34

Didn’t survive too long in “Murderapolis”

10klakes

Wouldn’t be surprised if that that cougar was the same one spotted in Carver a few weeks back.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wouldn’t be surprised if that that cougar was the same one spotted in Carver a few weeks back.

I would. That Carver one has been around for at least 2 years in that area, which is where I live. That was just the first time it showed up on camera in town. Plus that’s quite the gauntlet to get from the MN River valley to 394 & 100.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Honest question: do you think with the uprising wolf population helped push it this way?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Honest question: do you think with the uprising wolf population helped push it this way?

Doubtful, unless it was due to lack of prey. A cougar isn’t scared of wolves.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No. Mountain Lions generally inhabit more “mountainous” regions (hence the name). Its probably from the western Dakotas, maybe the Black Hills or the Badlands, and most likely a male seeking a new territory.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A cougar isn’t scared of wolves.

A single wolf, probably not. But I’d venture to say that the kitty would scram or climb a tree pretty quick if there was a pack of them present. 1 lion isn’t going to last long against 5 wolves.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I would be very surprised if it wasn’t the same cat as the Carver one. These are normally very elusive, and there isn’t hundreds in the state. The biologists we hunt with in Nebraska for turkeys say the collared animals will range 50-60 miles in either direction in a few days.

This was a male just traveling through. Shame so many animals are hit on the interstate. Cool animals

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Who wins in the hypothetical IDO Royal Rumble:

-the “wondering” Cougar
    -the “underestimated” Wolf
    -the “pissed off” CO after writing all these new on-ice urination tickets
    -the “used car salesman” PJ Fleck

I think PJ has a chance by talking the others out of attacking him and promising them things for leaving him alone. The “wondering” cougar probably is too out of place to contend in the cities with navigating rush hour traffic being a major weakness. The wolves with their large population and federal protection may have a chance, unless of course they assimilate to something like the MN Timberwolves before the big fight and then they’re destined to lose. The COs may be armed, but imagine the fatigue from writing all these new tickets before the big event.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL, good take on PJ the used car salesman

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I was leaning “wondering” cougar, until I remembered curiosity killed the cat…smash that like, follow and share for more Dad jokes! rotflol

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I understand that mountain lions prefer more mountain regions. That is far from where it was hit. I was more imagining the lion started to roam and a pack of wolves didn’t like it in their area. So the pack pushed it out. I would guess the lion would rather walk away from the pack than fight it. Just so strange finding it in this area and grabbing at straws.

Deuces

I’m also very curious to where it came from.

One would think that the mn valley has to have some, easier to traverse the MN River and parkways rather than coming from the east st.croix area, possibly the SE and followed the Sipp up, who knows?!

Nature is cool

CaptainMusky

I just talked to a dude at the bar by my house and though he hasnt seen it but he has definite Cougar tracks on his property near St Stephen. Probably the same Cat eh DNR? I saw the pic of the tracks and they are definitely a Cougar not a bobcat or something else.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The one killed in Buffalo County has reincarnated as a city cat.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.