Competitor 175 – 115hp or 150hp

• David Tanasichuk

Hey guys I’m looking at pulling the trigger on a new competitor 175 sport. Just kind of waiting on see how this covid plays out a little longer(don’t want to buy a boat I won’t be able to use, or afford if I lose my job due to this). Now I know everyone says to max out the hp but I see alot of these boats packaged with a 115hp. Is the 150 really worth it? I’m upgrading from a 14ft with a 30hp so I know I’ll be happy either way but at the same time I don’t want to make the wrong decision. I’m in Canada and I believe (still waiting on my dealer quote) the difference will be about $3000-$4000. Anyone here with the 115 that can provide some insight. Also I will mention this boat will be used on inland lakes for walleye mainly while also fishing some Bay’s on Lake Superior as it’s less than 5min from my door step.

Thanks

bigstorm
    Southern WI

My brother has a Competitor with a Yamaha 115 on it. With both live wells full and 3 to 4 adults, the hole shot isnt great but not too bad. He doesnt have it propped down to a 17p 4 blade that helped over the 19p 3 blade. I think it will depend on how you fish and who you fish with.

For me, I think the 115 is just fine as most of my fishing is done alone or with 1 other. Its rare for me to have 3 or 4 people in my boat

zooks

My dad has a 2018 Trophy 175 with a Yahama 115 and factory prop. He’s in his 60’s and didn’t feel necessary to max it out cause he’s mostly done fishing in bad weather and not in a hurry to get anywhere.

I’ve driven it a few times and it rides nice, the lack of top end is noticeable but doesn’t affect general performance much. If he had a nicer prop I’m sure it help a good bit though.

Not apples to apples but hope this helps, good luck with what you decide.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

2013 175 Dominator(same hull as Competitor) w/115 Yamaha. Basically the same opinion as Bigstorm. Also depends on your personal situation and how much of a difference that $3-4k means to you.

For me it’s easy, all depends on what your doing. I’m strictly fishing and 2-3 people. It’s a little doggy out of the hole but the fish don’t seem to mind. A few times I wish I had a bit more but most days I’m really happy. My wallet liked not going with more.

Now, if I was also planning to use this for watersports that’s a different answer. No doubt at all I would have needed some more time to save the extra money for a 140 or 150. Family has another boat for sports with the power needed.

I’ve also seen these paired with 90hp and just my opinion but that’s unacceptable.

David Tanasichuk

2013 175 Dominator(same hull as Competitor) w/115 Yamaha. Basically the same opinion as Bigstorm. Also depends on your personal situation and how much of a difference that $3-4k means to you.

For me it’s easy, all depends on what your doing. I’m strictly fishing and 2-3 people. It’s a little doggy out of the hole but the fish don’t seem to mind. A few times I wish I had a bit more but most days I’m really happy. My wallet liked not going with more.

Now, if I was also planning to use this for watersports that’s a different answer. No doubt at all I would have needed some more time to save the extra money for a 140 or 150. Family has another boat for sports with the power needed.

I’ve also seen these paired with 90hp and just my opinion but that’s unacceptable.

I also agree that 90 would be just a way to under powered. I was looking at the Evinrude site last night and started thinking that maybe I’ll split the difference with a 135hp

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I just got a used 2015 Trophy with a 115 Suzuki. I’ve pulled the kids on the tube and skiing. It does fine with the kids. It won’t win any races but seems fine. The top end I have is about 37 or 38 mph.

milemark_714

A lot of guys don’t like the E-tec,but if you have a good dealer(I don’t)it could be a great choice.More bang for the buck.Other than that,I am a fan of max it out.Especially if you go any kind of distance,the engine will work less to maintain a cruising speed.So if your goal is to do about 35-40MPH,the 150 will do it better.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I run a Tournament 175 with a 90 tiller. Goes plenty fast for me and that’s maxed out HP for the tiller model. I can get about 35mph with 2 people.

JohnE

I have a 2010 175 Navigator sport with 115 Yamaha. It does alright. Sure with full load (3 guys, kicker and live well full of water and wind/waves) out on Lake Michigan it might take a little while to get up on plane but usually in those conditions who is planing anyways !!! Seems to have enough torque. 150 would be nice but so would a 70K ranger with a 250!!!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I have a 2012 Dominator with a 150 yamaha. For me the 150 is way more than I need. Mostly fish by myself or with my dog on pool 4 or smaller inland lakes. Top end is around 50mph and I rarely push it because I am never in a hurry or do not care about hole shot really but it gets up real fast. I was looking at a 115 but got a great deal on a new to me boat with a bigger 150. You will be very happy with a 115 if that is what you go with.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

maybe consider a Suzuki DF140? Same overall size/weight of their 115 but not as heavy as a 150. I had a DF140 on my old boat (18.5′ deep V fish-n-ski) and ran two props – one for pulling skis and one for more efficiency and higher end speed…

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

I got a tournament 175 with a 175. Its not a speed boat but I dont beat on it either runs 30-35 with alot of throttle left easier on gas that way, stock prop but really never had it over 45mph. I figure lower rpms should be easier on the motor in the long run. If I was going new I would go same rout but maybe with a Suzuki?

scottaheller

We have a Edge 175 with 140 Suzuki, top end we get is about 44 mph, plenty fast for us. We really like the hole shot for skiing and tubing or cruising with a boat full of friends. I really like the Suzuki, so quiet, smooth and powerful.

David G

I just ordered a Competitor 185 Sport. Went with the Evinrude 175. I,m done being under powered. Evinrude is offering a $2000.00 rebate which covered the difference between the 150 and 175. I had a Smoker Craft 160 Pro Tiller with a Merc 40. Rated for 60. I was never happy with it with any kind of load. Now we just have to hope this COVID thing ends so we can get back out.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

We have a Edge 175 with 140 Suzuki, top end we get is about 44 mph, plenty fast for us. We really like the hole shot for skiing and tubing or cruising with a boat full of friends. I really like the Suzuki, so quiet, smooth and powerful.

When I was researching this was a common answer. Suzuki 140 is really good and pairs nicely with 175 series Alumacrafts. Now having a dealer in your area that will do a Suzuki/Alumacraft combo may be another question for the OP.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Have a 2013 Competitor 175 Sport with a 150 Yammie and Kicker. Pleased with the 150 on the back even before I put the kicker on it. My decision was based on my planned use of it as mostly a fishing boat for me and the family. Did not care about max speed but sure glad I have it when I need it for long runs on bago system or Lake Michigan to get home in time…LOL. Have friends who went a 115 on similar sized boats and some regretted it some love it. It is about your use.

I also considered resale value if I ever wanted to sell it. Not that I plan to but most people look for a 150 on back around here for a rig this sized.

And I too similar to you upgraded from a smaller rig (16 footer with a 40h). You will like the rig what ever your decision is. Good luck and enjoy.

queenswake
    NULL

Echo the guys talking about putting a 140 Suzuki on these 17 ft Alumacraft boats. This was a very popular combination until the Evinrude acquisition. However, the difference in HP between a 115 and a 140 Suzuki isn’t probably huge either since it’s the same block.

Anyway, I think 150HP is overkill for this boat and not worth the extra money. The other thing to think about is that 150HP likely means going to hydraulic steering as well, which is an extra cost.

I have a 175 competitor with suzuki 115ss absolutely love it. Was worried about power but 2 guys 25+ gallons of fuel and it jumps right out of the water. But if 35mph “38 trimmed” is to slow then maybe go another route.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a 175 competitor sport with a 140 suzuki and a 9.9 kicker. I went with a 140 as it uses the same chip as the 115 therefore it was considerably cheaper than the 150 which uses a step up. Hole shot is terrible BUT thats not due to the power I think my motor mount is wrong. Top speed on mine is around 38 mph fully loaded

mustangsally

Hey guys I’m looking at pulling the trigger on a new competitor 175 sport. Just kind of waiting on see how this covid plays out a little longer(don’t want to buy a boat I won’t be able to use, or afford if I lose my job due to this). Now I know everyone says to max out the hp but I see alot of these boats packaged with a 115hp. Is the 150 really worth it? I’m upgrading from a 14ft with a 30hp so I know I’ll be happy either way but at the same time I don’t want to make the wrong decision. I’m in Canada and I believe (still waiting on my dealer quote) the difference will be about $3000-$4000. Anyone here with the 115 that can provide some insight. Also I will mention this boat will be used on inland lakes for walleye mainly while also fishing some Bay’s on Lake Superior as it’s less than 5min from my door step.

Thanks

Mines a 2015 dominator 175 with a suzuki 115 and top end is 39mph with 2 people. I would pick the same combo if i did it again…it was a step up from the 50hp on the old 16’ boat. Spend more on your electronics and other upgrades imo (AGM batteries for sure) and if the troll down switch is still an option i use mine. My only complaints were being undersold on electronics and it was rigged without an auto bilge pump and a 2 bank battery charger but has 3 batteries. Hope everything works out and you get it!

matthewkolden

I personally own a 2014 Dominator with a 150. A close friend has the same sized boat, but a Lund, with a 115. I know it’s not absolutely exactly apples to apples, but I can tell you his boat feels very very sluggish compared to mine. Yes, the 115 is “fine” but it definitely leaves you wanting more comparatively. My hole shot is fantastic, and top speed is around 51 with just me in it, around 47 with another adult. It really is a tremendous difference. If the additional money isn’t an issue, I would personally absolutely want the 150. However, if money was tight and critical, I could survive with the 115 and still feel like I had a very good, capable boat.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.