Coleman Camp Stoves

• hamms
    Mn

Are any of you using one of these on the ice? I would like to get one just wondering which fuel source to go with. Propane or dual fuel? I also want to use it as a back up or extra to the one in my popup camper in the camping season. I hear of people telling their camping stories and somewhere the Coleman camp stove comes up and how old it is. Just want my kids to learn and be exposed to it to have the memories also along with good grub!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I hear of people telling their camping stories and somewhere the Coleman camp stove comes up and how old it is. Just want my kids to learn and be exposed to it to have the memories also along with good grub!

Every kid should have those memories. Totally agree. I will never forget the many trips to Canada with dad, I will always see him there with walleye frying on the Coleman stove and the lantern hanging from the holder on the cook box.

I’ll never be without a Coleman white gase stove and at least 2 lanterns. For both camping and for emergency use. Power goes off, I’ve got light, heat, and I can cook.

The propane ones are junk. The aren’t as hot as the white gas and they aren’t nearly as efficient. A gallon of white gas takes up the same amount of space as 2 disposo cylinders, but it contains 5-7 times more fuel.

The maintainance on stoves and lanterns is easy. I’ve got a lantern that hasn’t had anything done to it ever and it’s over 30 years old. I keep a spare generator for each and a spare pump leather. Keep the pump oiled lightly and that’s it.

The best way to maintain Coleman white gas appliances is to USE them. They love to be run. I take the lanterns out when we’re having campfires in the summer and light them up just to run them.

It’s a crying shame what good Coleman stuff goes for at garage sales. Good for the buyer though.

Grouse

hamms
    Mn

Thanks for your input on this Grouse. I was really leaning towards the gas as well. I hate 1# propane cyl and have seen the gas stoves look better built. The prices of these items at garage sales and sites online are super cheap is right. I am also looking at lanterns. Plan on going to some sites this year that don’t have hook ups of any kind. Thanks again

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I still have and still use on occasion 1 propane stove and 1 propane lantern. I was so happy when these came out so I could replace my old white gas appliances. I would NEVER go back to white gas. The propane stove/lantern have worked for over 20 years and have never had even a hiccup. As far as propane usage VS white gas….. don’t know but we have never felt the need to compare because we like the propane SO much more over the white gas. Matter of fact I just used my Colman Propane stove last weekend to make a pot of coffee down in my shed while I was working on a project. coffee

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

May be a different direction than you want, but I use the one shown in link below. More of a grill, but I use it on the ice, in the boat, camping and more. I bought a nice case made for the grill that I fit cooking items in, paper plates and such, and two tanks of gas. Great little item.

http://www.coleman.com/product/fold-n-go-grill/2000003735?contextCategory=27000#.VPm6gyjJ4qY

Attachments:
    1. 2000003735_500.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Everything Grouse said!!! I love older Coleman stuff. Nostalgia, and it just plain works. If you can wait till garage sale season, I see cheap Coleman stoves ALL THE TIME.

It’s a crying shame what good Coleman stuff goes for at garage sales. Good for the buyer though.

No kidding. I got a near-mint lantern with hard case with the original packaging and manual for $6. )

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Breakfast in Yellowstone. These stoves are tanks. It’s un-American to not own one!

Attachments:
    1. 1425653878953.jpg

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I went all propane. The ease of use mainly, no spilling white gas while fueling, smaller lighter units themselves. To each their own, what ever works for you. A hot cup of coffee tastes just as good being cooked on white gas or propane.

hamms
    Mn

Breakfast in Yellowstone. These stoves are tanks. It’s un-American to not own one!

Every time I read something on these I am feeling the same way lol.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That’s exactly right. Real. American. Steel.

You know that distinct smell they have when they are first lit? That little whiff of pungent Coleman fuel? Yes, that’s the one.

That, my friends, is the smell of Manliness. Yeah. With a capital “M”. You know it’s true.

Smiley time. grin grin grin woot .

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Century makes a nice similar product.

seeds
    SE WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hamms wrote:</div>…..The maintainance on stoves and lanterns is easy. I’ve got a lantern that hasn’t had anything done to it ever and it’s over 30 years old. I keep a spare generator for each and a spare pump leather. Keep the pump oiled lightly and that’s it….

Grouse

“pump leather”…It’s been at least 15 years since the pump “leather” has been replaced with a rubber cup. That cup shrinks in the cold. Sooooo..to me,if I find an unworking Coleman stove for cheap,I buy it just for the leather. I have one shelf in the basement devoted to – I dunno,seven? – lanterns and 3 stoves.

Several years ago I was driving down a street near my house when I saw a well built plywood box laying on top of a garbage can. Something just said “look!”. It was a custom built lantern box with a almost brand new condition lantern. That lantern might have been 50 years old,especially judging from the lantern style,and the small bags of new mantles included.

Seriously. It was like it had been used a couple times,then stored in a dry place for most of a man’s life. When he died,no-one wanted it.

The rest of the stuff on the curb gave me that impression.

Btw,I’ve used it once just to make sure there was nothing wrong with it.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

This thread got me going thru old camping photos. The kids were always in charge of breakfast. The Coleman stove we used was handed down from my parents. The one I cooked on when I was a kid. Hard to beat camping when it comes to good family time!

Attachments:
    1. 1425832654672.jpg

hamms
    Mn

That is great! It is just what I am looking to do! I even called my mom to see if they happen to have the old coleman. Nope …

Jim
    Somewhere South of Denver

I was the Quartermaster for a Boy Scout Troop that camped in all weather. -16° F to 110° F, we do it all. Everything we have is propane. BSA frowns heavily upon the white gas anymore except for backpacking. Even there we went with butane, not white gas. However, we demo both to the Scouts so they know what to do if they have to use white gas outside of a Scouting event. We don’t use any of that Girl Scout water either. )

For my personal gear I have both white gas and propane. I’m phasing out my white gas gear. It’s just too much work and the danger of spilling white gas high. For backpacking I’ll be using the butane canisters.

I have one of the old Coleman white gas pump stoves. It was my Grandfathers. I haven’t used it in years. I keep it for the nostalgia and just in case.

hamms
    Mn

I’m glad you show them how to use the gas model at least. The world has gone to complete convenience.

Kent Tau

I just got this from cabelas made but mr heater for $30. Plenty of heat, small and compact. Looking forward to using it on the ice and camping trips

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2015-03-03-20-37-33.png

hamms
    Mn

I have decided a coleman dual fuel stove and also get the propane adapter so I can have the option of all 3 fuels.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have decided a coleman dual fuel stove and also get the propane adapter so I can have the option of all 3 fuels.

Now you’re cooking with gas! rotflol

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Dual fuel all the way! You can always run gasoline in an emergency and there are ways to use alternative fuels with little modifications. Propane is great for convenience and they have there place but i will not own anything outside of the liquid fuel realm. I am a Coleman collector of the liquid lanterns, liquid stoves, and the old steel belted coolers and i love refurbishing the old ones and breathing new life into them again. Each person will have their preferences but my allegiance goes to the old liquid fuel ones. The only difference between the dual fuel and the non-dual fuel lanterns/stoves are the size of the orifice in the generator. You can safely run gasoline in the non-dual fuel lanterns/stoves as long as you make sure the orifice does not clog due to how small it is. You can remediate this by running them hot and making sure you use the cleaning needle on the generator before and after use. I would NOT recommend running gasoline in any of the dual fuel stoves though, unless in an emergency even though it can do it, due to the additives that are in the modern day fuels which is why the dual fuel orifice has to be larger. Gasoline in the stove will make for an off taste of the food possibly and i’m not sure. As long as you burn them hot you will be fine. Just my two cents. )

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hamms wrote:</div>…..The maintainance on stoves and lanterns is easy. I’ve got a lantern that hasn’t had anything done to it ever and it’s over 30 years old. I keep a spare generator for each and a spare pump leather. Keep the pump oiled lightly and that’s it….

Grouse

“pump leather”…It’s been at least 15 years since the pump “leather” has been replaced with a rubber cup. That cup shrinks in the cold. Sooooo..to me,if I find an unworking Coleman stove for cheap,I buy it just for the leather. I have one shelf in the basement devoted to – I dunno,seven? – lanterns and 3 stoves.

Terrific story about the alley find. That lantern box was clearly calling to you. “Save me! Save me!”

Re pump leathers, you can still buy the leather ones on eBay. I bought a 10 pack of them about 5-6 years ago and I think I still have 4-5 of them left. I should probably buy another 10 pack just to have them.

Grouse

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Who has memories of these iconic camping tools from there childhood and who is passing on the tradition?

All of my camping memories as a child have some sort of Coleman stove, lantern, or, cooler in it. I remember the hum of the pressure pots atomizing the white gas into the lanterns mantles all night as they stood watch outside of our tent keeping light on the entrance to our camp so the “bears” wouldn’t eat us. Lol. Always seemed to be a sense of safety and reassurance. I remember the smell, and each time I light one up those memories come racing back. I remember the large green box stoves cooking away under my moms spatulas as breakfast was being whipped up while we all woke up and tried to stay dry tip toeing through the dewy grass trying to sneak some bacon!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

How many of you remember lighting the Coleman lantern and it flares up and out the top. Black soot all over the green lantern top. Turn off the fuel and let it burn down turn the fuel knob open and your good to go.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

hahaha, classic coleman! always a startling suprise. Gotta have the little bit of danger mixed in. ;)

hamms
    Mn

A buddy and I built a cabin up the arrowhead trail for a couple from the metro and we stayed at his cabin up near there for about 3 weeks during the event of sept 11. We got the news from a crank up radio. Anyway the cabin had a propane fridge and we brought in water. We had a solar shower and lanterns for light and an outhouse out back. People need to spend some time that way to know how good they have it and kids need to experience life without the video games. When we were done working for the day we headed back to our cabin and hooked up the sled dogs to the wheeler for fall training for his race season. Something to do all the time. I loved using the Coleman gear for everyday life.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think what I like about Coleman white gas appliances most, if I’m being honest, is that the feed a sense of self-reliance that I think is missing today. Some, like me, mourn it’s passing, but it almost pains me that many don’t even know they’ve lost it.

I love that whole design of the Coleman lantern and stove is counter to today’s disposable culture. The Colemans were from an age when the whole mindset was that products were meant to be used and if it broke, you fixed it. So products were designed to be used and to be fixed when they broke. There’s nothing on a Coleman that could break or wear out in normal use that cannot be fixed even today.

I grew up around the men who went where they wanted to go in life. If it needed to get done, they did it. If it broke they fixed it. If it wasn’t good enough, they improved it. They didn’t have a lot of stuff, but if they had it, it worked and they knew how to use it.

Earlier this winter it was snowing heavily on my way to work. I came upon a car with the 4-ways on, the driver had gone to fast around a corner and planted the Honda on the curb where it was bottomed out on a snow bank.

I stopped and asked the woman–in her 30s I’d guess–if she needed help. “I don’t suppose you know of a tow truck that’s nearby?”

“How about we throw a tow strap on it and just pull it out?”

The look on her face wouldn’t have been any different had I suggested that we wait for aliens to arrive and lift the car out with a tractor beam.

“You actually have a rope thing to DO that? Isn’t my car too heavy?”

It took 1 two strap and a grand total of 5 minutes start to finish to pull her Honda off of that curb and snowbank. That little Honda has very conveniently placed “recovery” hooks, BTW. Dang good engineering on those little cars.

You’d have thought that I’d just parted the Red Sea by her expression. “I can’t believe you know how to DO that and have all that stuff in your car (truck).”

I know that, but it still makes me a little sad.

Grouse

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I think what I like about Coleman white gas appliances most, if I’m being honest, is that the feed a sense of self-reliance that I think is missing today. Some, like me, mourn it’s passing, but it almost pains me that many don’t even know they’ve lost it.

I love that whole design of the Coleman lantern and stove is counter to today’s disposable culture. The Colemans were from an age when the whole mindset was that products were meant to be used and if it broke, you fixed it. So products were designed to be used and to be fixed when they broke. There’s nothing on a Coleman that could break or wear out in normal use that cannot be fixed even today.

I grew up around the men who went where they wanted to go in life. If it needed to get done, they did it. If it broke they fixed it. If it wasn’t good enough, they improved it. They didn’t have a lot of stuff, but if they had it, it worked and they knew how to use it.

Earlier this winter it was snowing heavily on my way to work. I came upon a car with the 4-ways on, the driver had gone to fast around a corner and planted the Honda on the curb where it was bottomed out on a snow bank.

I stopped and asked the woman–in her 30s I’d guess–if she needed help. “I don’t suppose you know of a tow truck that’s nearby?”

The look on her face wouldn’t have been any different had I suggested that we wait for aliens to arrive and lift the car out with a tractor beam.

It took 1 two strap and a grand total of 5 minutes start to finish to pull her Honda off of that curb and snowbank. That little Honda has very conveniently placed “recovery” hooks, BTW. Dang good engineering on those little cars.

You’d have thought that I’d just parted the Red Sea by her expression. “I can’t believe you know how to DO that and have all that stuff in your car (truck).”

Grouse

Grouse I understand what your talking about but I have another story that ends a little bit differently. I operate a small repair shop and also have a tow truck. Well a lady customer calls and says her daughter went in the ditch and needed to be pulled out/off the snow. She also commented that the car wouldn’t run because the fuel line fell off.???? Well I pull it out and tow it to the shop, and when I get the keys from the lady she hands me a fuel filler pipe all bent to H. Anyway I find out some good Samaritan was going to help pull the car out and instead pulled the fuel filler neck out of the tank and out of the fender along with some vent lines etc. When he couldn’t get it out of the ditch the guy told her it was just as well because the car wouldn’t run because the fuel line got tore off when she went in the ditch. I asked the lady if she new the guy that damaged her car and they didn’t know him, it was just a guy passing by. Some people just don’t have a clue.

hamms
    Mn

You have that so right about things today being throw away and buy new instead of being some what handy and making things last that have replaceable parts. People are pretty lazy and that is what is passed on to the next to come… It is another reason I am choosing the fuel model for my stove and lantern. May take an extra step may take a little babysitting but I think it teaches kids a bit more then turning a knob on and off. waytogo

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Grouse

I couldnt have said it better myself! The “Throw-away” society is growing. I love Coleman but i absolutely HATE seeing those little green 1 lb propane tanks being thrown in the woods or left on the ice. I cant say i ever see the white gas cans laying around; however, i have seen them re-purposed. Great outlook Grouse!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.