Yellows biting?

• nater3
    Webster City, IA

My brother and I are planning on heading up Saturday to chase the yellows. Are they biting pretty good in the shallows yet? Where is the best place to buy minnows in Clear Lake these days?

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I am hearing that yellows/silvers and some walleye are biting I think I would give the small lake a look on the yellows and maybe big reef. The best bait shop is Crazy Minnow right next door to the Barrel Drive In on 18 Good luck

nater3
    Webster City, IA

When you say the small lake are you talking about the smaller area near the MacinTosh Woods boat ramp? Also, where is the Big Reef you are referring to?
    Nate

fishingwally1951

I have been wading at McIntosh this week and I have been catching yellows shallow. I just use a twister and a jig. What a blast!

baldwin4
    NE IA

Quote:

When you say the small lake are you talking about the smaller area near the MacinTosh Woods boat ramp? Also, where is the Big Reef you are referring to?
    Nate

Yes by MaCintosh and the reef is on the far east side of the main lake by town

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I caught some nice crappies up there Thursday. Too windy to sit on the walleye spots for very long. Things should really get going soon.

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Sorry Nater3 I was out of town a couple days.In reffering to both questions Big Reef is staight north of island on north shore a good area for post spawn walleyes and yellows and this year we are going to be in for a bonus the white bass have grown and they are catching many fish close to 2 lbs also as of last Thur they were catching many nice eyes off the outlet pitching jigs.And yes I am reffering to the area to the west of Mc intosh as the small lake there still some yellows being caught there.If I was not taking off for another tourny I would be giving the canals a check for crappie and I think I would be getting the cranks out for the walleyes.Good fishing guys I will be gone the two weeks I hope when I get home the Clear lake board is lit up from mid May on I will be getting out and I am anxous the lake should have some good feild reports all year

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Yellows are biting and so are the eyes. We just fished from 4-730 and ran out of minnows. Ended up with 40 yellows we brought home, and walleyes were all 15 or less, so we threw them back. Wading the island was the best for us, and dont forget to try in close to shore. When we moved out to try for eyes, a guy came in the shallows. When we left he probably had 100 yellows in his fish basket.

And for the minnows, We go to the gas station at the Y on the east end of the lake, always get a good bucket full. And we got 2 scoops today and ran out.

eyeweign
    Ellsworth Ia.

Nick,

Good job on getting into the eyes and yellows . Are most of the yellows over 9″? And were you using large or small minnows? Hope to see ya up there this spring.

Frank

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

All the yellows were 10-12 inches, most around 10.5-11. Nice fish. We had the big minnows, trying for walleyes too, but if you went with the smaller ones I think you would have better luck on the yellows. This weekend should be amazing with temps near 80.

slabchaser

good job catching yellows and eyes going up today hope to get into the yellows did you catch the yellows on the deep side of the island are all over

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.