Classic Car Mechanic and Quality Paint Job

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m hoping there are some classic car owners here that can refer a good mechanic.
    This could also be a fun group to start if there are enough. After a long search I finally got my dream car, a 1957 T-Bird.
    I’d like to get a high quality paint job and meet a knowledgeable mechanic.

Thanks in advance!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hopefully this works!

Attachments:
    1. 20160731_153237.jpg

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I’m hoping there are some classic car owners here that can refer a good mechanic.
    This could also be a fun group to start if there are enough. After a long search I finally got my dream car, a 1957 T-Bird.
    I’d like to get a high quality paint job and meet a knowledgeable mechanic.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Abrahamson at http://hwy18collision.com/ could be a good start in the Brainerd area.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you happen to hear of a good upholstery shop please pass it along. Wifes ’88 Camero could use a new interior.

Nice looking ride…..enjoy!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

If you happen to hear of a good upholstery shop please pass it along. Wifes ’88 Camero could use a new interior.

Nice looking ride…..enjoy!

will do Dutch. Thank you.

91reddog

Nice ride!

Theyre out there…

Bass_attack

Did yiu trailer the car through hugo today with a dodge pick up? I was driving and made me think of this post.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Snoop around. Down on Hwy 65 there use to be a Corvette place. I think they sell muscle cars now? Anyway, they will certainly know of a painter and anybody else you would need. Otherwise don’t they have a big street rod meet around state fair time? Would be another source to check out.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

nice car, is it an auto or manual? easy car to work on, everything is pretty simple there, except pulling the trans with those darn X frames. i’ve put a lot of time in a 55, let me know if you have any questions. I liked the 55 because it still had the 6 volt system, makes just a little different. have fun.

CBMN
    North Metro

Nice wheels Scott.
    Congratulations

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Did yiu trailer the car through hugo today with a dodge pick up? I was driving and made me think of this post.

wasn’t me. It was brought up in an enclosed trailer from Oklahoma.

Onestout, it’s an automatic. 312 V8. Has the hardtop and soft.

Thanks Dutchboy, I’ll check it out. I want a very high quality paint job.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Nice wheels Scott.
    Congratulations

Thanks Chris, it’s a blast!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Nice car Belletaine!

I also took on a project like this but not as far as you so I have no advise on paint and luckily I have a friend that’s a DIY motorhead so I have no suggestions for you. The only thing I can tell you, as with a boat, bust out another thousand is going to be a familiar phrase in your vocabulary. doah

reddog

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>91reddog wrote:</div>

Nice ride!

Theyre out there…

[/quote) Is this supposed to be a link to open?

No, just a picture of a 57 tbird in a garage here. 18 k miles. Soft top still in the factory bag in the trunk when we cleaned the stuff of of it. OCC is an amazing resto shop/ showroom.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Snoop around. Down on Hwy 65 there use to be a Corvette place. I think they sell muscle cars now? Anyway, they will certainly know of a painter and anybody else you would need. Otherwise don’t they have a big street rod meet around state fair time? Would be another source to check out.

I’m not sure about the street rod show Brian. There’s a great car show every Friday night in No. St. Paul, I might take it there this week. The car is very clean and runs well but while it looks good in photo’s the paint job is subpar.

91reddog…I can’t open the pic.
    There’s a place in CA called Larry’s Thunderbirds. I ordered an owners manual, and reprint of the original sales brochure and a free parts catalog (very extensive)
    http://Www.larrystbird.com 800-270-0393

reddog

Try this

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6703.jpg

Kyhl
    Savage

You might want to look into a local Ford club. They would probably know the scoop on different connections for repairs and restorations.

I have a friend that used to be in a Ford club in the cities. He now works part time doing mechanical repairs with another friend as a sort of high end ‘flipper’. Not what you are looking for but what I gather from discussions with him, you may get some good information through a club.

Then again, as always, buyer beware. I’ve heard his story about being screwed by someone with a good reputation as an honest builder on a set of Cobra Jet heads too. Basically “lost” the heads to the rebuilder. No good.

reddog

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>reddog wrote:</div>
    Try this

WOW! Are you going to restore it?

It isnt mine, I was just hired to open this garage up that hadnt been opened since 1969 and thats the way I found it..

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6702.jpg

Stanley

There are a couple shops just east of st.cloud that do classic car restoration you may want to call. One is Swedal’s classic car restoration in duelm and the other guys name is Barry Dorman in popple creek. I do body work so I have seen the good and bad and I have seen some stuff from Swedal’s and it is very nice work. I don’t know your budget for a repaint but expect to spend at least 8-10 thousand for a quality job and materials and depending on what’s underneath the paint when the body shop starts on it the price can easily increase.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For those interested Grafe Auction is doing a auction of Lil Dearborn. It’s a Ford parts business thats been around forever. From what I understand it’s loaded. You can find info here: http://www.grafeauction.com click on upcoming auctions. I know there will be several auctions associated with this business.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great info guys!

Much appreciated!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.