Clam Tent Repair

• KD7633
    Iowa

Have a Clam shelter with a tent tear along one of the seams. This isn’t actually a hole in the fabric from a heater, mice, etc… Any recommendations on fabric glue or stitching material for this? Would you consider using patch material? Appreciate any input.

milemark_714

Grab some Powerpro line or such and a needle.Fixed a lot of stuff with superline.Fixed a split in a car seat with Fireline,probably better than factory.

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

Best bet would be to stitch it with power pro, but that could be a ton of work depending on the size of the tear.

I used the clam patch kits paired with E6000 glue along the seams and some giant safety pins i got off amazon. Did the trick for a few years until i upgraded.

Lee

If your tear is at a seam then it’s likely an area of high stress and should probably be reinforced, glued and stitched….all three. Repair method depends on the severity and whether you plan to do it while the fabric is relaxed, or while the tent is up.
    This stuff is awesome: GearAid ‘Freesole’ aquaseal glue, and/or GearAid Tape.
    When I’m reinforcing a tear in a tarp I often use ‘Gear aid ‘seam seal’, apply a layer then immediately cover with a nylon patch (no adhesive back, cordura would be good on a shack). Smooth it out and flat as possible trying to get air bubbles out. After a few hours I’d stitch.
    Stitches are like perforated envelopes, each pinhole weakens the fabric and creates a tear line.
    If you are planning to sew the tear back in place while the tent is up I’d (1).sew with quality thread or braided line as another post recommended, then (2) Glue that seam with the Aquaseal ‘Freesole’.
    (3) probably use an adhesive backed tape ie Gearaid on the whole thing after its dry.
    Amazon: search gear aid aquaseal
    These products are great to have around
    Good luck

buck-slayer

Call Wyoming Canvas. They see heavy duty canvas at least they used to. You would have to sperate the canvas from the frame I’m guessing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.