Citizen Fire Academy

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I recently participated in my local Fire Department’s Citizen Academy! This was a several week program with the last day being our graduation and a ride up 100′ in the tower truck! It was a really fun program and I would encourage anyone to check and see if your local FD hosts a citizen academy – it’s a great way for citizens to learn more about the fire department and all the amazing things these brave men and women do!

I’m thankful to the people worked together to coordinate such a great citizen program for the community! It was fun to learn and get to try different things like busting open a door with a halligan, putting out a car fire, and using the jaws of life… they are HEAVY!!

And a BIG thank you to anyone who currently works for their fire department. You are heros!

Attachments:
    1. citizen-fire-academy-6.jpg

2. citizen-fire-academy-4.jpg

3. citizen-fire-academy-5.jpg

4. citizen-fire-academy-2.jpg

5. citizen-fire-academy-3.jpg

6. citizen-fire-academy-1.jpg

7. Picsart_23-11-07_11-32-23-660-scaled.jpg

Riverrat

100 ft up a ladder, no thanks I’ll just wait in the burning car. Otherwise very cool. Our fire department just goes around to various business’ with a can of gas and starts dumpster fires for employees to put out as practice. We do get a cool sticker though.

Jimmy Jones

Looks like fun Sharon. They wouldn’t let you wear those eye popper tennies?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Looks like fun Sharon. They wouldn’t let you wear those eye popper tennies?

How’d you know those are my shoes? jester

brandyman
    West central MN

Very cool of you to do that! Yes jaws are heavy and will wear you out quick!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Way to go Sharon. I was surprised how heavy that equipment was when I first got on my fire dept as well. Very cool you did that.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Very cool Sharon, and I fully agree, thank you very much to all the firefighters that run into harm’s way for us.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Pretty cool stuff you’ve been up to! Dang proud of you! Police then Fire department. What’s next on the list!? woot

MX1825

That looks super cool Sharon!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Pretty cool stuff you’ve been up to! Dang proud of you! Police then Fire department. What’s next on the list!? woot

Thank you! I think there’s a sheriff’s office citizen academy I can do next spring but other than that I’m not sure. Maybe I’ll just start following friends to work to learn about their jobs! Any volunteers? mrgreen

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Maybe I’ll just start following friends to work to learn about their jobs! Any volunteers?

Sure mine is not as cool, but you can come learn how to run an automotive repair shop, maybe we will even let you do an oil change, well supervised of course. whistling

Sharon
    SE Metro

Sure mine is not as cool, but you can come learn how to run an automotive repair shop, maybe we will even let you do an oil change, well supervised of course.

I could totally be a mechanic for a day! Do I get to wear a grease-stained jumpsuit? waytogo

Jimmy Jones

I’d be happy to show you how to cast jigs and inject your own plastic baits.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

You could go fishing with your old man. He could use the help.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’d be happy to show you how to cast jigs and inject your own plastic baits.

That sounds cool! Can I make them all purple? mrgreen

Sharon
    SE Metro

You could go fishing with your old man. He could use the help.

Yes!! I’ll bring the snacks!!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I could totally be a mechanic for a day! Do I get to wear a grease-stained jumpsuit?

Lol, we haven’t used those for years, but maybe I can dig one up for you. grin

Riverrat

Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office Hosting Citizen’s Academy in April

The Sheriff’s office in Ottertail County is putting one of these on this year too. This ones 4 weeks long and has “hands on” experience involved.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Ive read most your posts through the years, sounds more like it be police academy… the movie! rotflol devil

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.