Vacation in Chetek in July-How’s the fishing?

• Sharticus
    North Liberty, IA

Gonna be heading to Chetek July 21st for a week vacation with friends. Been going there for the last 6 years, staying at the Silver Birch Inn. About the only fishing we have done however has been around Baptist Bay, haven’t really ventured out and searched other locations. Would like to spend more time this year trying to find some fish…anyone lend any info on good places to try? And maybe what bait/lures to use too? Crappies and ‘gills being the main target, but ain’t against trying for other species either. I realize it’ll be the last week of July and isn’t prime fishing time. I do know that quite a few folks drift for crappies past the Silver Birch there, which we have done as well (and catch a few from the dock there too). That time of year the fish aren’t hopping in the boat by any means. Maybe its like that everywhere, but just want to try and find a few other places to try. If anyone could point me at some other spots, I’d sure appreciate it. If they aren’t too far from the Birch, even better…..

Thanks
    Sharticus

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I spent last week there and the pan fish bite was SLOW! On the way back from the fireworks, there were allot of bugs out so think that there must have been a big hatch. If you fished under the bridges, you could catch a fish on every cast but they were all small.

I did allot of bass fishing and had real good luck. Not allot of big bass but since I never keep them, I really don’t care. The northern bite should start to pick up when you are there so try the north end of Ojaski or Moose Ear.

If the pan fish are biting, Ekern Bay is always good and the north end of Praire. I am heading back on the 27th for two more weeks so hope the fishing has picked up by then. Good Luck.

Sharticus
    North Liberty, IA

Thanks for the info….hopefully i’ll be able to post after the trip that we caught a bunch of fish…..

i have a buddy getting married during this trip, so won’t be able to fish quite as much as i would like, but will be a fun trip regardless…

Sharticus
    North Liberty, IA

Heading out Sat. morning. If anyone else has any other suggestions, they’d be appreciated……

Thanks…

basspack
    PdC, WI.

Fill us in on how you do. We’re going up on the 28th for a week. In the past I have done well fishing near the bottom for big bluegills and crappies using leaches. Sometimes drifting over submerged vegetation. Most of my bass seem to relate heavily to some type of sturcture or cover.

Sharticus
    North Liberty, IA

Well, didn’t get as much fishing in as I was hoping for, but we did catch a bunch of crappies and gills, but they were all small ones. Four of them were probably keepers, IF you were catching them all that size, so they went back in for next year. Relatives staying next door at the Silver Birch cottage did catch a decent catfish off the dock over there. Heavy rain and high winds may have affected the fishing mid-week. On the bright side, I was able to consume many many adult beverages during the week

mrsibby

Try a Bass Pro Shop “Triple Twister Tail it is a soft grub style bait that looks like a Mr Twister, but it has 3 slits in the tail for more attraction. Use it with a leaded jig head that has a red hook. They come in a couple of sizes, and many colors, bit the white seemed to work just fine. 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz weights worked. Good luck and hope to see a positive posting back from you. Crappies and waldo’s are THE BEST EATIN!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.