Cellular Trail Cameras??

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Anybody running a cellular trail cam? Looking for some feedback from those that are.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have not made the leap yet. Cell service at the farm is spotty at best and frankly I can’t afford them. I don’t even know anyone that uses them.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

We generally have really good cell service near Mcgregor. But I agree…500 bucks is a bit steep.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I had a wild game innovations cell 8. It wouldn’t work below 40*. Plus it would eat batteries and the images were sub par. The concept is great, but the technology wasn’t there 3 years ago when i purchased.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I thought hard about them and have read a lot of threads where they are discussed. I can see using them as a security camera for a cabin or farm, but for just deer watching I just couldn’t see the value compared to the cost and amount of hassle guys seem to have with them.

There is also the problem of theft as there’s significantly more invested in one cam. I haven’t had any issues with theft on my property, but still…

The best case scenarios seemed to be when guys bought cellular cams that operated on networks that were the same as their cell phones so that they knew going in there was good coverage at the property where the cam was to be deployed.

I have 8 cams deployed on my property year around and the technology that appeals more to me is the wireless network cams where you can retrieve images remotely with a laptop or other device, but you still have to have fairly close proximity to the cams, like a couple of 100 yards. I believe Moultrie’s system allows you do have a “net” of cams, and retrieve images from all cams by plugging in to one.

Grouse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.