Cedar Bluffs Rising

• Todd_NE

Had a family event down at Cedar Bluffs this weekend and got a chance to be on the lake a bit.

While the lake is 14′ below “full” or “conservation” pool it has come up this spring and summer and many of the ramps are in good shape. There is also a new ramp about 5 miles up the lake from the dam on the north shore that is very nice.

There is one bait and convenience store along with boat shop called Sport Haven. There hours are typically 8 AM until dark roughly.

The Smoky Hill river was running bank full into the lake also.

Still a ton of standing timber and the water quality was great.

We caught a few largemouth and smallmouth on the dam face with my very young niece and nephew plus losing numerous others. My brother and I weren’t smart enough to bring a camera.

There were good reports on wiper and catfish from the anglers we talked too.

There are cabins available to rent at the lake and the entire campground in the NE corner of the dam is really top-notch.

There was a lot more water in Kirwin than this past winter also.

One interesting note was that we saw a loon at Cedar Bluffs. I can’t remember ever seeing a loon in the summer months that far south.

The lake manager updates the outdoor report every Thursday or Friday at KDWP Cedar Bluffs.

One interesting note, they list max depth as 43′ and I found some 50+ this weekend.

walleye4
    On the Water

I hope the fishing comes back strong at Kirwin. They are using the south ramp now. That ramp hadn’t been used in about 6-7 years. They also moved the refuge bouys back to around the Gray’s Park area too. Might try a fall trip down there.

Todd_NE

Good to hear!

I know Med Creek was running bank full as were most of the streams I crossed going down for once. I had to keep checking my GPS. It didn’t feel right to see ponds and creeks with water in them.

I hope we keep getting wet and see the fishing we had in the mid-late 90’s down that way.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Great info, Todd. Glad you had a good time down there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.