4 Season/IDO Cat Fishing Tournament June 15/16

• mfreeman451

MN state regs say you can only have one fish over 24″, so that might help minimize the damage a little bit..

Let’s be honest here, the only thing this tournament promotes is the 4-Season Bait shop, and mishandling of trophy fish.

Edit: I have no bias against 4-Season or anyone affiliated with them. It is a wonderful bait shop and sporting goods store, probably one of the best in the state. Seriously.

Quote:

I’ll toss my two cents in here, but that’s all I’m giving.

Transporting a 50 pound flat in a cooler alive has and can be done. In fact, transporting 70 pound blues from MO to MN has been done in a cooler with no ill effects.

I’ve been fighting with the WI DNR for a number of years over the 25 flathead limit per day and I’m not overly thrilled of the 10 fish limit MN has on boarder waters either. Not to mention the snagging of wintering fish that goes on. Talk of a winter close season closes ears with the DNR’s.

TWENTY FIVE FISH LIMIT. Four anglers can legally take out twice as many fish in two days as this tourney could possibly take out…maybe. IF I was a WI resident I could use bank poles without ANY limit. NONE

So after all of this my question is, does any of the above promote cat fishing to anyone? It doesn’t. Having a live weigh-in in Red Wing does.

I sure wish I could muster this much passion when talking to the DNR’s from the catfish supporters we have.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Now you got 4 cents out of me.

Check your regs on MN/WI boarder waters. 10 fish limit. No restrictions.

Absolutely this will promote 4 Seasons. It’s also going to be the biggest promotion of cat fishing in the southern part of MN.

mfreeman451

Doh forgot about that.. so where is the opposition coming from when you’ve proposed a rule change?

Quote:

Now you got 4 cents out of me.

Check your regs on MN/WI boarder waters. 10 fish limit. No restrictions.

Absolutely this will promote 4 Seasons. It’s also going to be the biggest promotion of cat fishing in the southern part of MN.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For which?

The MN or WI laws?

mfreeman451

Both, but I’m more interested in MN rules specifically.

Quote:

For which?

The MN or WI laws?

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

if the fish can be transported safely, then by all means to it. but that does not mean what 95% of the people will probably constitute as “good”.

is it ok to put a 30″ walleye in a bread bag and fill it with water? i mean it is covered in water afterall…

I just find it very comical that some of the very same people that will criticize someone for holding a large flathead by the jaw for a picture, are now promoting putting that very same fish into a rubbermaid tote where the fish is touching on all sides, and dump some water over it.

just for the sake of having a catfishing tournament….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Long story short, anytime this is brought up to the WI DNR they refer me to the above…residential bank pole fishing without a limit.

I believe the guys in the Lake City office are looking at changing the 10 fish rule, but I haven’t verified that at this point.

Closing the flat season in the winter? “It’s already against the law to snag”…is the reply from both states.

I would think since we are leaving skin on our fish while transporting them and pulling our boat plugs to make it easier on our CO’s, that closing the season would make it much easier for them to protect the fish by not allowing them to be in possession. Otherwise a CO would actually have to see them being snagged. Our CO’s are not on the River as much as they are on shore during the winter. Once a flat has been snagged how does a person prove it’s been snagged or legally caught?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am all for it, as long as precautions are taken to insure the safety of each fish and they are returned to where they are caught. I don’t know if I can fish it yet, but if I can, I will.

mfreeman451

I understand the aspects of wanting to promote your business, support it, grow it, whatever. Of course there is nothing wrong for that, but now you are trying to twist the story on why you’re promoting this tournament as a way to inform the public on some outdated fishing rules?

I think we need to get back on track and focus on the valid concerns expressed by myself and others.

How are fish going to be reliably and safely transported from Point A to Point B, back to Point A. What rules and stipulations can be put in place that ensures everyone has an adequate storage system that will support a potentially large fish being relocated from BrianK, err, Chris Tucker’s honeyholes to bay city?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Interesting thread. First I’m not a cat fisherman. Second I won’t be fishing this event.

I have read a bunch about the pro’s and cons of a event like this. What is a solution short of not doing it? I believe the organizers and the public have every right to fish this thing without being “guilted” into thinking something is wrong here. Is there a different way to determine a winner? Does it have to be based on weight? Could you have the winner determined by “inches” instead of pounds? Could the winner be determined like the AIM Walleye people do it? Could you have judge boats like Muskie Inc. does in their events?

I really don’t know, just asking if there is another way that would work for everybody.

mfreeman451

I’m going to _try_ not to beat a dead horse here, but if you feel a fishing rule or regulation needs to be changed, the best way is to voice your concern to the lawmakers.

mfreeman451

Of course they could. If they were actually concerned about the fishery they would not be holding a tournament that promotes irresponsible handling of trophy fish.

How many muskie tournaments do you know that are run the way these guys or DTRo are trying to run their tournament?

Quote:

Interesting thread. First I’m not a cat fisherman. Second I won’t be fishing this event.

I have read a bunch about the pro’s and cons of a event like this. What is a solution short of not doing it? I believe the organizers and the public have every right to fish this thing without being “guilted” into thinking something is wrong here. Is there a different way to determine a winner? Does it have to be based on weight? Could you have the winner determined by “inches” instead of pounds? Could the winner be determined like the AIM Walleye people do it? Could you have judge boats like Muskie Inc. does in their events?

I really don’t know, just asking if there is another way that would work for everybody.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Of course they could. If they were actually concerned about the fishery they would not be holding a tournament that promotes irresponsible handling of trophy fish.

How many muskie tournaments do you know that are run the way these guys or DTRo are trying to run their tournament?

Quote:

OK, not stirring the pot but how would you suggest it can be done? What would be fair for everyone fishing and at the same time promote the sponsor? Is measuring a accurate and fair way to do this and still get fisherman entered?

I’m just curious.

mfreeman451

I don’t know, I’m not the one trying to run the tournament. I have participated in successful catfishing tournaments in the past that used a measuring system, control item, and photographic evidence. It worked fine for us.

.m

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, not stirring the pot but how would you suggest it can be done? What would be fair for everyone fishing and at the same time promote the sponsor? Is measuring a accurate and fair way to do this and still get fisherman entered?

I’m just curious.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’m going to _try_ not to beat a dead horse here, but if you feel a fishing rule or regulation needs to be changed, the best way is to voice your concern to the lawmakers.

Buwahahahahahaha!

Thanks for the laugh. Unless there is something in it for the lawmaker, they won’t do a damn thing. They don’t even listen to the DNR half the time and try and go against them!

mfreeman451

Be that as it may, my point is that absolutely nothing will get done whining about it to some random people on the Internet.

Call and write your lawmakers, or vote for new ones if you don’t like the old ones. I don’t expect most people to do that, luckily and thankfully we have people like Steve DeMars and Brian Klawitter and the others that represent the catfish/sturgeon alliance (there are others?) that actually take the time to present these important issues to policy makers on behalf of us. I’m sure it doesn’t always go their way but at least they are trying.

And sending robo form letters to your legislator about issue de jour doesn’t count. If you want your letter read, put it in your own words.

Quote:

Thanks for the laugh. Unless there is something in it for the lawmaker, they won’t do a damn thing. They don’t even listen to the DNR half the time and try and go against them!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I would appreciate it if you (mfreeman)would send me your phone # via a PM and you and I could discuss this.

Quote:

Be that as it may, my point is that absolutely nothing will get done whining about it to some random people on the Internet.

Good Advise!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hate to keep throwing things at you Chris, but I have problems with measurement tourneys. There is just too much money involved for me to trust anyone. I might even has trust issues with myself for something like this. And I never rely on someone else measuring my fish and never let them give me so much as an 8th of an inch extra rounding up.

That being said, I am only one person and if I chose not to participate in a measurement in tourney, that is my choice. I will not cast dispersions on a tourney like that, especially since it means no more harm to the cats than normal fishing.

Can I ask how many openings remain so far? My decision to fish the tourney will come down to the wire.

Lastly, I think this will be an outstanding litmus test for many different things. Will it raise eyebrows in the legislature and DNR about catfish conservation and existing regulations? Will their be media coverage? Can flatheads and channels safely be transported to weigh ins and released unharmed? Will the participants all be willing to go the extra mile in ensuring the catfish’s safety and well being?

I’d also like to thank you and 4 Seasons for putting this tourney on for cat guys (and their kids).

I’d also like to thank those who have voiced concerns as being good stewards to the fishery.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…luckily and thankfully we have people like Steve DeMars and Brian Klawitter and the others that represent the catfish/sturgeon alliance (there are others?) that actually take the time to present these important issues to policy makers on behalf of us. I’m sure it doesn’t always go their way but at least they are trying.

Hey now! I spent a Friday at the Round table and also filmed Steve’s presentation.

Toot toot!

My horn. P

dr._flathead

This solves most issues…. Most of us have the ability to take video on our phones these days….. You video record the lengh, and girth of the fish, with a control item in view. That would (should) eliminate the streaching of measurements, and insures the fish goes back soon after its caught. Obviously this would only work in a measuremnt style tourny vs. a weight format…. Im sure someone could find a way to cheat this method, but I think it could work.

mfreeman451

Thanks for participating Pug..
    I didn’t say ALL of us are bad..

Quote:

Quote:

…luckily and thankfully we have people like Steve DeMars and Brian Klawitter and the others that represent the catfish/sturgeon alliance (there are others?) that actually take the time to present these important issues to policy makers on behalf of us. I’m sure it doesn’t always go their way but at least they are trying.

Hey now! I spent a Friday at the Round table and also filmed Steve’s presentation.

Toot toot!

My horn. P

blakeb
    MN

Chris How many spots are left open at this point? If i can find someone to co-fish it i will.

catman87
    Cannon Falls, MN

Can we launch anywhere? I don’t plan o ntaking Friday off work so is it ok to launch at like fivish!?

blakeb
    MN

Chris, can we launch anyplace we want? Everets? I dont know too much about overnight parking down there, and if its anything like up here i dont want a ticket on my windshield!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So if I understand correctly, the only modifications to the rules are:

– that you can weigh anytime from 6pm Friday – End of tourney

Clarification for me:

– If I catch a fish and weight it, I am done for that species, however I can go back out after weighing and pursue the other species?

– If I catch a species and go back out, my partner is still eligible for that species?

It looks like we’ll be fishing this one. Now I just need to figure out the best configuration in the boat in case we get a big one and steal BKs log book. :whistle:

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just follow Phigs, he has all my pictures printed for the last 7 years.

I’ll be out with customers that night. I’ll have to see if they want to enter.

It’s going to be PRIME time on the Mississippi this weekend.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll have to call you this weekend. Not for that, but I need to be prepared for this thing. I want to have all my ducks in a row with no surprises.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I talked to someone at the shop on the phone. Entries are low? Well, regardless of numbers, we are heading down in the afternoon and probably will spend the night.

scully0178
    parts unknown

five and a half inches of rain tonight in red wing. but don’t worry, it’s still raining. the conditions should be just about perfect for your tourney tomorrow night. good luck.

wastewaterguru

Quote:

DTRo is running his tournament to inflate his own ego,

mfreeman451…..that’s pretty funny right there. DTRO is putting on a 100% payout tournament that was requested by the membors of his site. It’s put on through a free website with no advertisement obligations and no product pimping….

But yet somehow it’s about his ego. Pretty funny.

Both contests have their limitations and both will go a long way to promote catfishing.

It sounds like 4 Seasons has done a good job responding to comments and will run a fun and succesful tournament.

I am also sure the event on P2 will also be successful. Both events are being run by guys who are advocates for the fishery and I wouldn’t think twice about fishing either.

Now put your money up and go fish!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.