Rainy River Sturgeon Aug1

• fulvescens

Hit the Rainy river last Fri-Sun for sturgeon. Fishing was good the weather was poor. The temp never exceeded 65 degrees. Major thunderstorms rolled through in waves Friday night. Saturday there was a constant wind 16-25 mph along with drizzle from every passing cloud. We caught a dozen up near the dam in the Falls. One 52 inch and one 50 inch, a couple of low 40 inch and the rest were in the 30 inch range.
    Saturday morning we went down to the Little Fork confluence. Fished from 7:00 am-10:00 am when heavy rain came again. We caught two and one was the big one for the trip (57 inches with a 23 inch girth). When the rain came we headed back to the dam and caught two more under a nasty constant wind. The boat was bouncing so much you couldn’t detect the bites.
    Sunday we headed back down to the Littlefork and fished from 7:00-1:00 pm. We caught 13 sturgeon and 3 northern pike (on sturgeon bait- crawler and a chunk of cut sucker) The largest sturgeon was 47 inches, the rest were in the 30 inch range. It was a beautiful morning with sun and no wind. All in all a good trip!

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

Do you have pictures? I would love to see them, especially the big ones.
    Thanks for sharing, sounds like a lot of fun.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ditto!

fulvescens

Sorry, I had left the camera on shore so I didn’t get any pictures.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.