Anybody been out carpin’ yet?

• carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

after you saying that I now know where you were going. and now I have to add it was brought to my attention that I should not write things like that on here because it is a family site. Sorry if I offended anyone. mplspug no good stories about suckers, although that would probly make more since and a better name.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There’s a few guys on here that fish the Croix. Afton area, Stillwater and Kinni.

Oh…the IDO tv show is on…gotta run!

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

Thanks Briank for the reply I had a question to follow after asking if anyone fishes that area but now I cant remember what it was. I will probly pop into my head as soon as i turn the computer off. but thanks

gpbakken

Quote:

Grant you said you caught them two from the front seat of your truck. I was just wondering was that throgh the ice? I have a small pond by my house that has carp in it that i bowfish in the summer but cannot catch one in the winter. I thought it was because maybe their metabolism is slowed down in the winter but i can caught them throughout the winter on the river on open water. does anybody have any ideas?

I actually had pulled my truck right to the water’s edge on the Mississippi- on a boat ramp… made for comfy fishing! Then I just jammed the rod into the inside handle of the driver’s door. so it was open water.

was fun to get out the old tin can zebco again. I’m hoping to get out this weekend as again.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

sounds like a door handle works good as a ready made rod holder. im going to green lake in chisago in the morning to try for some crappies on hard water then hopefuly to the croix for anything that bites in some open water in the afternoon.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Green in Isanti county has some massive carp if you’re into lake fishin’ fer carps!

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

yea thats were i went but not for carp. I think that is chisago coutny but not positive.

I went out carpin tonight for a little bit and had a lot of action in a short period of time.

Here is a question for ya. I caught 9 carp and every one of them was hooked in the lower lip why is that. I dont remember this ever happening that many times. could it be the hooks I was using?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is this the first time you used this style hook? If so, I think you have your answer.

What bait are you using? Does corn work at all this time of year?

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

I used two different hooks last night a bait holder and octopus very simaler to a circle hook.

I started off using a stawberry power biat that i never catch fish on. than switched to corn and would catch one about every ten minutes even when it got dark. heck im gonna go right now ill post how i do

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

I caught 6 in like 6 hours it was pretty slow and they were not as big as last night. all on corn. has anybody else been out?

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

has anybody used boilies for carp before? and are they worth what they are crack up to be

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ok…that’s a new one for me…what’s a boilie??

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I haven’t. I hope to try them out this spring. Hopefully some folks here have some experience with them.

Brian- boilies are special carp baits, most often used by euro-carpers. They are usually made at home and boiled, hence the name. Good recipes are closely guarded.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Aren’t they like giant balls of flavored dough? Have you ever seen the size boilies they use over there sometimes? I saw a guy on TV wait over 24 hours to catch one carp. Yes, it was edited down to a half hour. If I remember, he never hooked one.

Kind of reminds me of flathead fishing. Those things would be great with circles and you could use a bog boilie. Just let them work on it until it’s small enough and they get hooked.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Ok…that’s a new one for me…what’s a boilie??

Boilies are a really dense dough ball that is attached to the line just beyond the hook. The hook is left exposed. The fish inhale the bait, and get hooked by the unobstructed hook.

I have no idea how to make the boilies, I did mess around making dough balls in years past… its amazing how picky carp really are. Boilies have to be really firm to stay on the line.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks guys…I’m sticking to bullheads.

But good info none the less.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Down South they love carp as flathead bait. What would be the laws if say you harvested one from the Minnesota and threw it on your flathead setup? I’ve heard about people using sheepshead too. Is it the same 7inch rule or what?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

7 inches only applies to bullheads (no…I’m not going there)

I know someone will correct me if I’m wrong…but I’m almost positive carp can not be used for bait at all….in MN

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Page 8

Quote:

Using whole or parts of game fish, goldfish, or carp for bait is unlawful.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

Thanks for all the feed back on the boilies, I read an article in one of my magizines last year and if i remember right you mix all the ingredients into eggs than boil it into little balls, so it is soft like a hard boiled egg (if that makes any sence at all). You can buy them on the internet, but I cant find anywhere where you can buy less than like 15 pounds

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

O about the carp as bait. I called the DNR last year and asked why you cannot use them as bait or if you could use them as cut bait. After talking to about 5 or 6 people in this one phone call I was told that carp have viruses that do not hurt them, but if somthing else eats them it will kill em.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.