Cast Net Law in MN

• mile832
    MN

Seriously, what do you guys think about trying to get this law changed? Is it something any of you would want to change? What are your thoughts and ideas? I know so many of you guys have worked very hard ( And I am grateful for all your efforts) to get the bullhead law changed. It seems like its taking forever but I think you will eventually win out. Are there other laws you would like to see changed in MN? Is it a bad idea to propose too many changes or will the “squeeky wheel get the grease”? It seems like all the MN regulations were made without considering there are many people that fish for catfish. We have such a great fishery for catfish in Minnesota and its hard to get many of the best catfish baits legally.

We have a tremendous resource for baitfish, namely shad, on the river and we really cant utilize it legally. Shad are plankton eaters and dont bite on rod and reel and are very difficult to catch without some type of throw net. Are there any harmful effects of using these types of nets that I’m not aware of? I realize that baits are not supposed to be harvested in infested waters so that is another problem, but if the law was changed to say you may harvest bait in infested water solely under the condition you use the bait on the water you captured it, would that not be a reasonable law? Could we propose a change for that too?

The DNR has obviously made law clarifications based on some of the input on this site. Could we use it to try and push for changes above and beyond the bullhead regulation?
    Should we take a poll?
    Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.