Out last night…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Went out with my buddy Tom (Flatlander2000 on here)and hit a few spots that produce in higher flow. Wow – what a difference some water makes! We caught 5 cats and had a few other misses.

The best by far of the night came at just after 11:00 when Tom got a solid hit. We were in snag city, so it wasn’t long before he was into the wood and refusing to come out. Good line saved Tom as he pulled him into the snag several times and let him take line back. As he was in his quandry, his other rod got a hit and I got to horse a 5 pounder out of a lesser snag while he sat. We knew his fish was big enough to bother with, so we reeled in the other lines and let out enough anchor rope to get right above the fish/snag. I poked down there a few times with a push pole and eventually he came out and almost immediately was at the surface. We were right – he was big:

This one measured 44 inches and tipped the scales at 45 – by far our best fish of the year.

Loving the cooler/faster water!

Two items: we sat for a long time on that spot before having action, and we caught small fish at the same time too, so the ideas that small ones mean no big ones, and that you should move if you’re not getting them both get shot down in this instance…

.mnmike
    red wing, mn

that sure is one nice puddy cat.

good job guys
    Mike

stuart
    Mn.

Good job….Heck of a nice fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Love that picture Matt.

Everything on that cat looks huge from it whiskers to the fins!

About the big and smaller fish in the same snag. Do you think that happens more now that the spawn is completely over?

aanderud

Wow, that fish looks huge. Good line makes the difference sometimes, I think it’s worth the extra $$ when you consider how much time you sit on the water. Losing that one to the wood would have sucked! Hey, nice job guys.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s a very nice fish and she looks very healthy. I like seeing those thick tails on them. Looking at the gill flap on the bottom makes me wonder how much propulsion they can generate to suck in prey.

I’d think the smaller ones would not be hassled as much now that defending spawning areas brutish courting behavior is long gone. The days are shorter and they are looking to bulk up now. However, there no way a five pounder could ever feel safe with that 44# fish around.

Did you see any signs of bait? Are the faster waters pushing them (bait) together and concentrating them?

rdenney18
    Iowa

that is one huge fish!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Beautiful fish guys

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Nice fish

Care to share what types of spots your hitting in the high water ?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Beautiful!!….just beautiful!!!

Someday it will be my turn…

alan34
    MN

nice fish there

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Nice fish

Care to share what types of spots your hitting in the high water ?

Well, I had moved out to the main channel, fishing behind wingdams (unsuccessfully), but after the water went up I went to the typical May spot – lots of wood and about 6 feet of water, side channel.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Beautiful fish What did you get her on?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

must\\\’ve been fun trying to get that out of familiar wood. Nice work.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Beautiful fish What did you get her on?

Illegal for you – bluegill.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Nice fish Flathead. Just goes to show you what a good pic will do. You could have said that fish was 57 lbs. and and I would not have questioned you one bit.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Nice fish Flathead. Just goes to show you what a good pic will do. You could have said that fish was 57 lbs. and and I would not have questioned you one bit.

I don’t know if you know this, but his buddy Tom is only 3’4″ tall and weighs in at a healthy 87 pounds

Helps make fish look even nicer

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

MEEEEOOOOOWWWWWW! Nice Fish! Hey BK! When are you going to put me on a fish like that or do I have to call Matt now?

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

It’s all in taking the shot from as close as you can. Very hard to do in the dark. If you notice how his headlight is on, that’s all I see when I take the shot (digital cameras ROCK). It’s not the same if you take it from far away and then crop the picture (this one is cropped, but how far away can you get in a 15.5′ boat).

Sometimes I look at this picture and think I must have misread the scale and it was 62 pounds – seriously. It looks gigantic in that pic. I mean it is gigantic, but you see what I mean…

By the way – good to see you (to the extent that this is seeing you) Dirk – long time no type at.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.