flathead ?

• toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I am going to give flathead fishing a try this year ,starting tommorow night and sun night.got a couple questions, first one is ,I noticed most of you guys on here use bullheads. verses bluegill which seems to be the standard for most guys around my area, Iwas wondering if its because they are tougher or just more appealing to tyhe fish?Also if you try casting them does it kill them or is it better to drop them over the side of the boat and then move the boat.and how many should a guy take with him each time, i have no idea how many 2 guys would go through in 5 or six hrs.And last but not least if i get lucky enogh to get one of those great big ones , how do you get him in the boat , without banging him up to bad to let him go?

john_steinhauer
    p4

yeah as far why paople use them from what i can tell and from my own use i think both they seem to live longer and i catch more fish with them and as far as casting them i let them fly and it doesnt seem to hurt them or anything there still kicking when i go to real in and move to the next spot and for the last ? ieither net them or use my hand and grab them by the mouth but either way i just make sure i dont bang them around to bad but i hope you get some it took me a few tries but its well worth it trust me so dont give up and hey might see you out there have fun and be safe

larry_haugh
    MN

up in MN the DNR regs don’t allow us to use blue gills or any other sunfish… So we are limited to bullheads, suckers and chubs.
    Bullheads are tough and take a licking and keep on ticking that is why they are used by most.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Todd, when I use four poles (2 each for two customers) I take along no less than 24 bullies. Generally it’s closer to 36…it’s better to come back with some extra then to have to come back because we ran out.

I chose to use a net because there’s too many flats out there running around with walleye jigs in their mouth. If you don’t use a net..look before you stick your hand in there.

Thanks for posting your questions here. I’m sure we have a pile of folks wanting to know these very same questions!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Ok last night I caught a nice little 8 lb. flat that sucked in my hook way to eep to remove. Where do you guys cut your line? As close to the hook as possible or just outside the mouth?

Quote:

I chose to use a net because there’s too many flats out there running around with walleye jigs in their mouth. If you don’t use a net..look before you stick your hand in there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s probably too late now, unless you have kept him in well oxygenated water. Feel free to taunt me with that horribly unfunny joke.

In your other post, BK has a nice reply linking to a article with pictures showing how it can be done.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Outside the mouth.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.