Flathead Weight Conversion Chart

• dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I think I’ve come up with a pretty decent formula to determine weight using measurements. From what I can determine the tolerance is +/- 3lbs. With accurate measurements it should be very close. Last night a fish weighed 23lbs on the scale and the formula calculated 22.9

If anyone is interested I put together an Excel chart.
    Conversion Chart

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Thanks, Darren. I printed out a couple and I am going to laminate them. This will save me the trouble of trying to hang one on a scale unless it is about a 50″ fish. I appreciate this post – good stuff.

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

It seems to be pretty accurate. I’ve applied your formula to the couple I have caught and the few others some buddies have gotten. All have been with in a pound or less of the digital scale so far.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome to the cat board Ryan!

Do you fish frequently in the Wickliffe area?

Make yourself at home here!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Dtro,

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Awesome chart. I’m gonna print out a couple for myself as well!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hey there DTro, do you still have this chart available for viewing? I would love to see it again. Thanks–

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

The link in the original post still works for me. Is it not working for you?

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

now I have a weight chart next I need a fish. thanks your like a fishin mathmagition

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I have been trying for years to find the perfect digital scale capable of measuring to at least 100 lbs for catfishing, sturgeon and musky fishing. I just picked up this scale at Cabela’s. It is a bow scale capable of measurement to 110 lbs. It was a bit spendy at $60 but I am hoping it will last me a life time. I also picked up a large replacement landing net that I will use to cradle any large fish and hang from the scale to prevent dropping and injuring a fish. The replacement landing net cost $14 but it will help to weigh those tough to weigh fish like channel cats and sturgeon. Just put the fish in the net and hook the net on the scale and get a quick, safe weight to minimize the CPR process. Here is the link to the digital scale: 110 # Digital Scale

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I like a person who plans for contingencies. Why weigh channel cats, Brett just eyes them.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I like to eyeball them to but my eyeballs seem to weigh about 2# too heavy. That works for bass fishing but not for catfishing.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I looked at some numbers a while back and the channel cats I get are always heavier than what the chart says. (I know this is a flattie chart)

DaveL
    Stacy, MN

Quote:

I have been trying for years to find the perfect digital scale capable of measuring to at least 100 lbs for catfishing, sturgeon and musky fishing. I just picked up this scale at Cabela’s. It is a bow scale capable of measurement to 110 lbs. It was a bit spendy at $60 but I am hoping it will last me a life time. I also picked up a large replacement landing net that I will use to cradle any large fish and hang from the scale to prevent dropping and injuring a fish. The replacement landing net cost $14 but it will help to weigh those tough to weigh fish like channel cats and sturgeon. Just put the fish in the net and hook the net on the scale and get a quick, safe weight to minimize the CPR process. Here is the link to the digital scale: 110 # Digital Scale

Hate to say it but I think you paid to much. You can get a 220 lb for less.

Much smaller Link<<<

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

[quote Hate to say it but I think you paid to much. You can get a 220 lb for less.

Yea, looks like you are right. The one I bought from Cabela’s was a Coffey Scale too. I hope it is a good scale.

DaveL
    Stacy, MN

I’ve got the 220 lb. had it for a year now. They seem to be good. I have had a problem with the battery compartment coming open and the batteries falling out when going through chop in the boat. I fixed it by bending the little plastic clip on the battery door.
    I store mine in a square tupperware container to keep moisture out. I have seen the LCD readout fog over when it got damp once. I don’t think they are water friendly.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Bump to the top.

With the post-spawn bite picking up I thought this would be a good time to bump this to the top of the forum. If you haven’t marked this as a Favorite now is the time. I use this Flathead Weight Conversion chart all the time to get a good close weight on a fish.

In my opinion, it is very accurate. It saves you the trouble of beating up a fish by hanging it on a scale and banging it around. Get a quick measure and get the fish in the water – this chart will put you just about right on.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

It saves you the trouble of beating up a fish by hanging it on a scale and banging it around.

You got that right! I’ve seen too many heavy flatheads shake off a scale and hit concrete. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. If you need a weight, use the net method. Weigh it in the net and subtract the net weight after.

Mitch Harmston
    Menomonie WI

Does anyone have a copy of the xcel chart the dtro put together? I never printed one, just saved it on my phone and I lost it. The original link doesn’t seem to work anymore either. This chart seemed to be right on the money and was super handy to have

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think you can find it on cat geeks website but I haven’t been on there in a while.

I just net them and weigh scale em.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.