Blue Cat Caught On MN River

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

A 52lb 8oz. blue catfish, a state record, was caught in the MN River!! Story and photo in todays Pioneer Press……

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

have you got a link…couldn’t find it on the webpage..

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Just looked at the article. That is one fat fish!

Mark

katmann2
    twin cities

If anyone remebers I did say a few time way back in may that there would be a new state record in 2002. I didn’t what kind of cat I just a cat. Mavzer do you recall that?
    Does that mean that there are breeding blues in the state? or is it to cold to have large numbers?

fishhead
    Chaska

OK How gulible are we going to be?The article stated itself that the guy travels for work.I wonder where he was the week before he caught this fish out of the MN River?If there was a population of blue cats swiming in the MN,I think we would have heard of positively indentified blues before this cat showed up.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

actually, there may have been many blue cats cought and not correctly identified.. I know that every time soemone says(on pool 4) that they have cought a big blue cat, I kinda nod and smile, thinking that they are talking about a big male channel (broad head, slate blue color). compared to a female with a more slender head and a olive green color. I will think twice about dismissing these accounts.. If you look at the anal fin on the blue cat it is noticebly longer than the channel (more rays to it). I think it would be awsome to have another catfish record to try to reach..

fishhead
    Chaska

Yes we get reports like these on the MN a lot,but one has never been positively identified yet.I can say this I will be counting rays from now on.But one other thing makes me suspicious of this blue is that there are two dams that are nearly or positively impassable on the MN between the Miss and Lac Qui Parle.In addition I have heard thru the “grapevine”(I hate saying that)that the DNR is also a little suspicious of this cat.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I think its possible that the fisheries people might have a way to identify if the fish is actually from the Mn river…. I think they can use electrophoresis…. or maybe they just do a chemical analysis of the polutants found in the fish and compare them with Mn river fish…. course… they have to get a sample of the “fish”… and I suppose that aint going to happen… so I wonder what they will do?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The above is from 2002.

Fishhead, way ahead of his time! LOL!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Fishhead? What are you referring to the Ford Dam post from a few months back?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Fishhead? What are you referring to the Ford Dam post from a few months back?

The above posts were made in 2002. Fishhead posted “BS”…and was right on the money!

Quote:

<Edit> of Browerville, Minn., poses with a 52-pound, 8-ounce blue catfish near Lac Qui Parle, Minn., Wednesday, May 22, 2002. Ness caught the fish on the Minnesota River using chicken liver for bait. Common in other areas of the nation, blue catfish are so rare in Minnesota that an official state record didn’t exist.
    Photo Courtesy Department of Natural Resources

The follow up and the reason why there isn’t a MN State Record Blue Cat…

The unlucky angler was busted for the following.

Quote:

Public Records…

02/26/2003 Dept. Nat. Resources Converted Closed
    POSS WILD ANIMAL – UNLAWFUL MAKE FALSE AFFIDAVIT

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

LOL, I remember the said claim story and exact spot of claimed fish caught. I was fishing on that spot and there was no one else fishing there. Had a light rain shower that morning and cloudy for a good half day or so. So in otherwords, I would’ve made for a witness of seeing absolutely nothing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Were you fishing April 1 when the famous freshwater shark was caught at the mouth of Minnehaha?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Were you fishing April 1 when the famous freshwater shark was caught at the mouth of Minnehaha?

April 1st? Which year? Last year I was guiding for walleyes. Other years I was looking for shark at Mill Ruins Park.

Cool! Now we have an eye witness!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Perfect!

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

Have heard of it in places where dams don’t exist, but what the…

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Oh dear…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Guys…scroll down to the last photo on the right. Read the fine print.

D, you got me giggling so hard I can’t hit the “continue” button.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

OWNED!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Buwahahahaha!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Don’t feel bad, very few catch it right off the bat.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

It’s all good Ryan. As I remember that thread started some heated discussion back in ought 6

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

Son of a…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Tee hee…

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

LOL…that April 1 date.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.