Bullheads vs Willowcats

• epeterson12

Rookie question, I’ve never been able to clearly understand the difference between the two species. Looking at pictures of 2-3″ fish from both species look the same(minus color) to me. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two things stand out between willows and bullies.

When I scoop up a doz willows the slim drips off the net like a big pike.

The other is if you get poked by a bully it hurts a little, depending on your reaction to the poision in a willow it could be anywhere from a mild sting to a “I have to go to the hospital reaction”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Forgot one thing…

Bullies are around $12 to $15 a dozen at the bait shops where willows well, I haven’t seen them below $20. a dozen for some time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

…and this leads into harvesting willow cats.

The WI DNR lists Pool 4 of the Mississippi River as VHS positive so no bait can be harvested and taken off the river.

But wait. The WI DNR doesn’t test the Mississippi for VHS.

Our good friends at the MN DNR do and it’s shown up as negative for VHS every time it’s been tested.

So you Cheese people need to ask your DNR why you’re not allowed to harvest willows for use in the same river they’re taken out of.

I think I just ranted(?)

epeterson12

Quote:

…and this leads into harvesting willow cats.

The WI DNR lists Pool 4 of the Mississippi River as VHS positive so no bait can be harvested and taken off the river.

But wait. The WI DNR doesn’t test the Mississippi for VHS.

Our good friends at the MN DNR do and it’s shown up as negative for VHS every time it’s been tested.

So you Cheese people need to ask your DNR why you’re not allowed to harvest willows for use in the same river they’re taken out of.

I think I just ranted(?)

Well that makes absolute no sense to me. The only DNR officer I have seen more than once near 5a anyways tickets & patrols both sides.

I wonder how that works out? If they have shared jurisdictions shouldn’t they have shared laws?

Do you have any links about harvesting bait in the Fountain city/Winona area? I harvest my own Willowcat’s on both the MN & WI side. Is it not lawful to do so?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Rookie question, I’ve never been able to clearly understand the difference between the two species. Looking at pictures of 2-3″ fish from both species look the same(minus color) to me. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Quote:

I harvest my own Willowcat’s on both the MN & WI side.

and you don’t know the difference??

Here’s the number to call the Lake City DNR Office

Quote:

Office address
    Lake City Area Fisheries Office
    1801 South Oak Street
    Lake City, MN 55041
    651-345-3365
    fax. 651-345-3975
    <a href="mailto:[email protected]
    [email protected]<br />

You’ll have to google the WI DNR Office.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Brian – Indeed, you did rant. Are you trying to rally the masses to take up pitchforks and fire brands against the government? You are going to get labeled a Trouble Maker. Since when do border water fishing regulations need to pass the common sense test?

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

The folk’s making those damn border regulations don’t have the common sense needed to understand them. I say change two things to make the common sense part show through. First off, allow 3 lines no matter the side of the river being fished. A fish can bite one of three lines on the MN or WI side of the river, why limit one side??? The other thing is allow the use of cast nets for Shad and other bait gathering. Hell I would pay for a registration of my nets just to stock up for Sturgeon and Catfish trips! I mean how many states allow cast nets to gather bait? I am guessing the majority of the country allows it…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The folk’s making those damn border regulations don’t have the common sense needed to understand them.

I think I’ll politely disagree with that portion of your statement Mr. Rat.

It’s surprising at least to me how many times politics trumps common sense and science.

I’ll stop there .

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

Quote:

Looking at pictures of 2-3″ fish from both species look the same(minus color) to me. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Willow cats is a name often used by anglers to describe a number of small catfish species known as the madtoms. Most common in this context is the Tadpole Madtom. They have a more rounded tail and most importantly an adipose (fatty) fin (the little one behind the dorsal) that connects completely to the back of the fish. Bullheads and other catfish have a fin that is lobed. (See Photos)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Nick!

epeterson12

Thank you for the information. I’ve had countless number of people (even at the bait shops) tell me how to create traps for them. I’ve never once heard anything about it being illegal, only to transport them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Regulations in infested waters

The DNR designates waters that contain populations of Eurasian watermilfoil, faucet snail, New Zealand mudsnail, zebra mussel, ruffe, round goby, spiny water flea, VHS fish disease, and white perch as infested waters. Those waters will be posted with Invasive Species Alert signs at the public water accesses and listed in the annual DNR Fishing Regulations booklet.

The following regulations apply to activities in infested waters:

taking wild animals (fish, frogs, crayfish, etc.) from infested waters for bait or aquatic farms is prohibited except for:

commercial purposes by permit in some infested waters

noncommercial bait harvest for personal use in waters that contain Eurasian water milfoil if:

the infested waters are designated solely because they contain Eurasian water milfoil, and

equipment for taking is a cylindrical minnow trap not exceeding 16 x 32 inches

all nets, traps, buoys, anchors, stakes, and lines used for commercial fishing or turtle, frog, or crayfish harvesting in an infested water that is designated because it contains invasive fish, invertebrates, or certifiable diseases, as defined in section 17.4982, may not be used in any other waters

equipment used for commercial fishing purposes in infested waters that are designated solely because they contain Eeurasian watermilfoil must be dried or frozen before being used in noninfested waters (misdemeanor)

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/laws.html

epeterson12

I’m starting to feel like I should be paying you for all the questions you’ve answered. Your knowledge is incredible. Thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.