Whats your best channel cat circle hook rod?

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’ve been out of the market for a long time but need to add a few circle hook rods to the arsenal. Cabelas King Cats are fine. My favorites, Berkley Reflex, are not sold anymore. What’s your absolute favorite rod? Price is not a issue.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Dirk – I use the Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish rods. I’ve got the 7′ models but I plan on adding a couple of the 8′ models this year. I’ve got both spinning and casting models – cost is about $40. Cannot go wrong at that price. They have a perfect soft flex for circle hooks. I use those rods for sturgeon too. I also like them because they are white rods and easy to see in the dark – sorry Brian but white is the only way to go.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I’d say the Ugly Stik Tiger rod would be good for circles.

I just realize that I recommend this rod for everything from channels to sturgeon. I really like mine!

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Dirk there are a lot of great rods for circle hooks and the ones that have been mentioned are certainly good rods. I have been using 7’6″ Cat Fight Rods from Bottom Dwellers Tackle and really like them. They have a nice fast action tip section and have great backbone for fighting big fish. They’re rated for 15 to 40 pound line and 2 to 5 oz lures. They also have a heavier rod offering for big blue cats or even sharks in salt water. And for those who prefer spinning rods they offer a spinning rod in the cat fight line. These rods are built tough and have solid stainless steel guides and cork handles. They have been tested under extreme conditions. They’re also very reasonably priced.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I’d say the Ugly Stik Tiger rod would be good for circles.

I just realize that I recommend this rod for everything from channels to sturgeon. I really like mine!

Same here I even bought one for my spinning rod!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Lol, pretty sure I bought mine based on your reccomendation in a similar thread a couple seasons back.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I copied Fisher Dave. Contagious!

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

I like a softer rod for circle hooks. I have found some cases where the Ugly Stick is too stiff for a small bite. I really like the 10/25 7’9″ custom from Blackhorse Custom Rods. Another one that I use a lot for guiding is the 8′ Eagle Claw Water Eagle. They have a good soft tip and a ton of backbone.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I have one 10′ reflex rod. I redid the handle and have some new guides to get her ready for this year. I think it was a dipsey diver rod? It is 1/2 flexible and 1/2 stiff. I had an ugly stick tiger that had the same action once. I think it is replaceable.

Otherwise, my best rod is just one that is way too light for the line on it. Like a 10-20# crankbait rod. It catches the most fish. On a lot of days, it will 2:1 a graphite rod and not sure why. Something to do with braided line maybe. Seems like it is going to break all the time.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Wow look at all the old cat chasers on this post. I personally hate circle hooks for what I do but my ugly sticks work well with them. For the price and durability you can’t go wrong. I think mine are on year 10 and I give them a pretty good workout. I wipe them with armor all at the end of the season and they look like new. I don’t see too many small bites

yummymuskie
    A River.

it will be the custom rod i am having built, its a half e glass half graphite hybrid type blank.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.