Any advice on a pontoon?

• Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I have a 16 ft aluminum side counsel that I picked up last year, and I think it might be too small. I have been looking at 18-20 ft pontoons with no seats so I have an open floor space, and more room to walk around. I would love to take some of my boys friends fishing but my boat is way to small. My old man says that I wont like towing a pontoon around, and I don’t know if I should get rid of my boat without some advice from people WITH pontoons first. I would hate to get a pontoon and find out that its not for me and be stuck with it. So, how are they to trailer, and how are they in the current? Also do they drag anchors around from so much drag if Im sideways in the river.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

How far are you planning on towing the toon to your regular fishing launch?

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

OOOOOOO I would say from MPLS to Black dogg, Chaska, Jordan, Possible Mankato, Hudson.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I’ve got a 21′ aluminum pontoon boat. I can directly speak to your situation!

So… as for towing, they’re a b**ch unless you have a decently beefy truck, preferably with a towing package. They are wider than your truck, so your mirrors will be occluded and, at 21′ plus a good 6′ of trailer in front of the boat, they are *long*. So they’re not easy to tow… that said, they’re not the end of the world to tow either. I used to pull a 20′ car trailer for work and it’s really a lot the same.

You will feel every bump and jostle, and sometimes the weight will want to push your truck around a bit. One of the scary spots is westbound I94, far left lane, entering the Lowry Tunnel. The trailer wants to keep going straight while the truck is trying to steer around the corner into the tunnel. You have to know what you’re doing a bit or the trailer’s momentum will push the back end of the truck sideways.

Also, my trailer only has one axle and I don’t care for that… plan on adding one if your trailer only has one.

As for how they trailer, I can’t speak to bunks, just scissors (my trailer is a scissor trailer). But I can put in/out on a beach, on an incredibly shallow launch, etc. There are some distinct advantages to a scissor trailer… you can beach the boat and then back the trailer under it, which makes things a lot easier. I can line the boat up with the trailer very nicely and get it centered, then lift it out of the water and pull it up on shore to strap everything down. I would say with practice there’s not a lot more time involved than loading any other 20′ boat, it’s just different.

I’ve never tried anchoring across the current… I usually only drop the bow anchor, let the boat swing into the current, then strop the stern anchor to hold it where I want it. Because the logs are long and skinny there’s much less drag on the anchor than with a regular hull. However, having to run back and forth from the console to the bow back to the console while you’re in current is a pain and at times downright dangerous, so I went for an electric anchor winch with a remote that I bolted right to the side of the console.

Regarding anchoring across the current, pontoon boats have so much space on the sides and ends that it’s really not necessary. You can fish people off both sides and the bow and stern at the same time, so no matter where you end up anchoring people will have room to fish.

I also cannot state strongly enough how important an electric tilt/trim on the motor can be… for launching, trailering, and river navigation, having the ability to get your lower unit up out of danger without having to leave the console is HUGE. This is the voice of experience talking here. Rocks and props don’t get along well, and having to leave the con while you’re navigating in current is never a good thing.

I wouldn’t go less than 20′ if you want any room to be able to fish unless you’re never going to have more than 3 people in the boat. Mine is 21′ and I’ve had 4 people in there with no issue. I could easily fish as many as 6 out of the boat with no huge issue provided that it was anchored in a good spot for people to fish off both sides. I snagged a couple chairs from an old patio set that I keep on the boat and I have some nice folding camp chairs that I use as well. That makes it possible to arrange the seating as best fits the fishing conditions and passengers.

If you’re going with a pontoon boat with no seating, though, storage is an issue, I ended up getting a 3’x2’x2′ heavy duty storage box that I bolted to the deck using u-bolts. I’m not happy with this arrangement though because it takes up the whole corner of the boat and people like to put stuff on top of it which makes it hard to get into. It’s always going to be an issue on a boat like this unless you have some under-deck storage, which is what I’d REALLY like to do.

I have Folbe rod holders mounted to the rails, 5 positions around the boat (2 on each side and one center astern) and that works really well for both trolling and catting. With a setup like that you can use planer boards and everything. Also since pontoons only have about a 6″ draft on floats that are a good 4′ apart, they are very stable and can get to areas where a regular boat has issues going.

One big thing of note: power plants. When I bought the boat it had a 35HP Evinrude on it and that was just not sufficient. I could get up to about 12mph on the GPS, and that was about it. So last year I upgraded to a 1985 90HP Johnson with a fresh rebuild from Robbinsdale Marine. I can now do 25mph and I feel much safer being on the river and needing to get back to the landing fast. Also with that much juice I can use the pontoon for fun times and pull tubes and stuff.

It’s been expensive… between the boat and trailer, new motor, electronics, batteries, gear box, rod holders, and so on I’ve probably got about $9k into it. I need to put new tires on the existing axle and I really want to put a second axle under it. So don’t plan on this being a cheap deal… if you get a new boat it’s going to be primo dollars and if you get a used one there’s going to be maintenance and upgrades and stuff.

All in all, I would say that for a platform for any kind of fishing, awesome cat fishing, and good general family boating fun, you simply cannot beat a pontoon boat, but there are drawbacks that you at the very least need to be aware of.

That’s probably way more than you wanted to know, but hell… I’ve had this thing for 3 or 4 years now and nobody here really seemed to have much, if any, experience catting the rivers out of a pontoon boat when I got it, so hopefully this post can be useful to yourself and others.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

WOW what an awesome reply, thanks. Looks like I have some things to think about.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks Armchair!

Steve DeMars runs a toon as well. He keeps his on the water in a marina though the summer.

I’ll see if I can give him a poke too.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

WOW what an awesome reply, thanks. Looks like I have some things to think about.

No worries. I’m considering selling the boat, so if you get serious hit me up, maybe we can work something out.

I know, I know… but at this point in my life I need the cash more than I need the boat. Plus the tranny is going out in the truck and I can’t pull it too far… accursed Ford Explorer transmissions…

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I have a 25′ Cast-a-Way Premier pontoon with a 75hp Evinrude E-Tec. It also has a Terrova trolling motor with I-Pilot – I do a fair amount of trolling & drifting for cats later in the summer. For the waters I normally fish it is perfect. I cat fish 4 to 5 nights a week in the summer so I keep it in a marina slip on the St Croix River. It is in the water and ready to go 24/7.

I don’t own a trailer for it. The marina puts it in and takes it out for me as part of my slip rental. I have trailered it for maintenance and that little bit of trailering has convinced me that I wouldn’t want to trailer a pontoon full-time for launching.

Attached are a couple of photos. 1st one is the layout of my boat. Fishing chairs fore and aft. The aft deck is a vinyl floor that you can just hose off. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the entire boat with vinyl flooring just for the ease of keeping it clean. It has two live wells but I only use the aft live well and keeps my bullheads alive all night just fine. I run a power inverter off my trolling motor batteries and run a 110 aerator into my live well to keep the bullheads and other bait lively.

It is more than just a fishing boat too. Our whole family uses it during the summer and the grandkids love it. We pull tubes, spend at least one day a week on the islands with the kids swimming and fishing. It has an privacy enclosure with a porta potty for the lady folks and that is a must have item for the rest of the family. That space also stores the trolling batteries and the on board battery charger.

I also have a day enclosure for early spring and late fall fishing. You can get an extra couple of weeks worth of comfortable fishing in the spring and fall with the day enclosure. It makes it an excellent sturgeon boat when those cold October winds are blowing out of the north.

It also has a 13 1/2′ bimini top for those really sunny days out with the family or to get out of the rain when those summer evening showers pass through.

Like I said it is a great cat boat. Get your rods out, Twins game on the radio, lay down on the cushions, close your eyes and wait to hear the clicker sing. Lots of room to move around.

go-fish
    Mn.se metro

I bought a pontoon for the cabin last year,
    (wish I would have bought one 20 years ago)I personally wouldn’t go any smaller than 20ft.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.