Like a light switch

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The P4 cats turned on and then starting last Thursday, it was like a light switch that was turned off.

There’s still channels being caught. An 11.5 took the Lupus tourney on Saturday and other fellow cat fishermen talked about there fish. I just wasn’t stupid nutz.

Awesome weather though!

Here’s Pete and Shirley the Cat Fish Queen bringing in a 14 pounder.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Shirley NICE CAT….

Brian, so how has been the Flathead fishing ?

Jack

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m guessing good. I haven’t been out in 2 or has it been three weekends now. Boat maintenance, House maintenance and Wife maintenance…not necessarily in that order.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

So was that 14lber the only one those guys caught? If so, you better work on getting that bite turned back on BK! We comin’!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s the only one they caught while I was there!

I’m stopping at walmart on the way home tonight to buy a replacement tripod for my camera. The fw left early yesterday and it’s really hard to get good pictures by yourself….unless I’m taking photo’s of others.

You guys will be on fish. Oh yes, if you see Pete down there ask him to tell you where the “catfish queen” is, for the most up today info.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

we fished out of evert’s saturday, we got a few sheeps and it looked like the few people catfishing were moving every 30-60 minutes……. missed you BK, must have been the night you were maintaining something.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Using crawlers Jarrett?

There’s a ton of fish between wing dam 1 and 2…but I think they are all sheepies. I need to get my camera out.

Stink bait has been king.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The bite has slowed here too. 89 degree water temps. I couldn’t get past the shakers last weekend. One trip 3 fish two 30x18s and a 28×17 and the bite was late what there was of it. I am starting to hate big full or near full moons and I managed to get soaking wet crossing the lake in 1.5 footers.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

We realized our downfall too late while the sun was setting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was a phone call away brother!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you were set up right below me…3 guys in the Crestliner.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No wonder, with all that stink in the water…

dave53
    Altoona, WI

I won the guide trip with Brian last fall in the Team Catfish contest and my son and I had a great time on that trip so I have been trying to convince him we should head out again. The planets aligned and we decided to head out last Thursday. I had been reading all the great reports and thought the fish would all but be jumping into the boat. It was a bit slower than I expected.

We did manage a few fish, but missed a bunch more. Didn’t have much rod thumping in the holder, more like I think I saw the tip move, we better check it. Very light bites if there is such a thing with Cats. We put our share of stink in the water. Started with Sudden Impact and later in the night caught our two biggest fish on Secret Seven late into the night. (Thanks Team Catfish, part of the prize package along with the shirts and hats) Lost the fish of the night at boatside. My son is interviewing for a new netman before our next trip. Dad let him down at the end of a long fight.

It was a beautiful night out and my son and I had a real good visit, something that is pretty rare with a 21 year old, so that made the trip worth it. On the way home, he asked when we can do this again, so even if the fish didn’t cooperate, it was a great night. Maybe a good thing the switch turned off. If we were busy catching fish, we might not have had time to talk.

Here’s a few photos from the night

Dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Lots of smiles in those photos!

There’s much more to fishing then just fishing, wouldn’t you agree Dave?

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

I was a phone call away brother!

I was told you were gone, we would have come got ya (and your stinky baits)!

dave53
    Altoona, WI

Absolutely agree Brian.

The first time I heard the Trace Atkins song about taking his little girl fishing, I thought, “Man he’s got that right”. Took the kids out as often as I could and they thought “we were just fishing”. It’s about making memories. If you haven’t heard it, here’s a link to CMT

http://www.cmt.com/videos/trace-adkins/659727/just-fishin.jhtml

There were three boys in my family and about 7 years later we got a little sister. While the boys were growing up, summer vacation was rent a cabin on a lake and fish all week. As the boys grew up and moved out, summer vacation was Wally World or some other attraction. We would argue we never got to go to any of those places, but my sister would always complain that no one took her fishing. Truth be told, she really is not the fishing type, but what she misses is the family stories that get shared every time we are all together about those summers on the lake. “Remember the time Dad fell in? How big was that fish you caught? Or a hundred other silly anecdotes from those trips” Lots of family memories in those cabins and the stories that have become family folklore. Just for the record, I did take her fishing last summer on a lake near her. We trolled up about 50 fish. Mostly Crappie, but a few walleye and bass. I think she enjoyed the boat ride.

It’s not about the fish, they’re just a bonus.

Dave

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you were set up right below me…3 guys in the Crestliner.

You guys looked pretty stationary, we tried 4-5 spots, saw more fish on the radar up towards you guys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dave and son, winners of the Team Catfish Bonus package last fall.

That included

Team Catfish Fish Grips
    Secret 7
    Sudden Impact
    Dead Red Spray
    Shirts
    Hats
    Decals
    and an assortment of Team Catfish Hooks.

Congrats again guys!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Good stuff except for the ugly shirts and hats. Did they have to pick Iowa Hawkeye colors?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

Good stuff except for the ugly shirts and hats. Did they have to pick Iowa Hawkeye colors?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.