Why is one better than the other?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I made a tour of my fishing areas yesterday late afternoon.

Yup, they were all there!

Lots of changes in the structure this year, which I thought was a bit odd considering the low water and flow this spring.

I did get to wet a line for about 45 minutes before the rain started.

On one rod I had Sudden Impact and on the other rod I was using Secret 7.

I had three bites and three fish in the boat, two 5 pounders and one 7 pounder….all on Secret 7.

I switched location with the two baits and the Secret 7 double the rod over with the second fish, the 7 pounder. I’ve had days in the past where Sudden Impact was the only bait to get bit…along with days where cut bait was all that would get a bite. This has happened enough times to know it’s not just a one off.

It just seems goofy to me because I would think if the channels are in a eating mood, they wouldn’t be so fussy.

Anyone have any insight on this?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I’ve definitely seen one bait outperform another in the same boat with baits placed within feet of each other. Most days we’ll get more bites on stink bait, but bigger fish on cutbait at the same spot. Sometimes it is flip flopped, but this is much less common. This is why it is always good to have a variety of baits along!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My next question is…

Why, after fishing with stink bait, taking a shower and it’s 12 hours later….

I can still smell stink bait!

Not that it’s all that bad.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Mayeb your nose is just too close to your mouth? Heyoooooooooo!

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I’ve been having luck with the the Sonny’s Chocolate chip flavor. The channels jump in the boat and anyone I’m fishing with jump out…

josh_eats_kitties

Quote:

It just seems goofy to me because I would think if the channels are in a eating mood, they wouldn’t be so fussy.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Being scent foragers, the ability of different particles could be more or less detectable or may disperse differently depending on the temperature of the water, oxygen content, water pressure at the depth that your bait is sitting.

Might have less to do with the fish, and more to do with the ability of different molecules to spread and leave an appropriate scent trail.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Go figure. I’ve noticed this many times. This is why I use three different baits until they tell me what they want. I have seen differences in year classes do this especially in the spring.

josh_eats_kitties

Quote:

Go figure. I’ve noticed this many times. This is why I use three different baits until they tell me what they want. I have seen differences in year classes do this especially in the spring.

Yup, I usually rotate between cut bait, crawlers, and chicken livers… Although crawlers are my least favorite since just about everything else picks up onem… drum, carp and suckers especially.. The cutbait I only seem to have problems with drum and turtles o.O

Although, Brians got me wondering if I should give dip baits another try… Never caught a single fish off them though o.O

Edit: Speaking of which… What do you guys prefer for dipped bait.. Plugs, tubes or teabag style?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can’t speak for others, but tubes seem to be the most popular in our area. Not sure why, might be that most every bait shop has one brand of dip bait or other.

The punch bait or fiber bait as Team Catfish calls it is very popular in the South. Besides Sudden Impact fiber bait, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other brand. Just use a #6 treble for fiber Curtis. Easy Cheesy.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Can’t believe you have never caught a fish on a dip bait. Usually they are my go-to bait to find out if there are hungry cats in the area. Started using them about 3 years ago, and before that I was extremely dubious of them, but after a terrible first day of our Evert’s trip, Dean or RRR said to use it, and we slaughtered fish the rest of the day. Made a believer out of me.

I only use tubes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yup!

Catten Addict felt the same way. We had a contest…

End of the night it was 5 for BK and Zippo for Catten Addict.

There was some 10 pounders caught last week on stink.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

This pig loved Sonny’s blood bait but last year dressed cutbait out produced everything. I’ve had days in the spring when I left the crawlers home and watched the boat right next to mine slaughter the cats to my zip.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Dean or RRR said to use it

It sure as ‘ell wasn’t RRR!!

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Quote:

Edit: Speaking of which… What do you guys prefer for dipped bait.. Plugs, tubes or teabag style?

I use a modified tube when I fish dip baits. I modify by adding a small sponge to the line, and slip it right down on the treble hook. That way, when the tube is full of dip, it will disperse a little slower than an open tube in current. Plus the dip sticks to the sponge too. Works well for me.

L8R…Ken

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I’ve had days in the spring when I left the crawlers home and watched the boat right next to mine slaughter the cats to my zip.

Dang! Two or more flavors of stink bait, crawlers, minnows and cut bait…soon we’ll have to have as many baits as the walleye guys.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Do they make a chartreuse stink bait?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Funny, I’ve often thought about taking a Moxi or a Pulsar and trimming it a bit shorter, then dipping it in Secret 7! LOL!

Too many walleye folks would have heart attacks.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Some of my dip bait tube ARE chartreuse .

L8R…Ken

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

The punch bait or fiber bait as Team Catfish calls it is very popular in the South. Besides Sudden Impact fiber bait, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other brand. Just use a #6 treble for fiber Curtis. Easy Cheesy.

I found another brand of punch bait last fall Brian…

Danny Kings Punch Bait

Have not tried it yet…but will soon…

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have tried the Denny King stuff, not much luck. Still have an old jar of it in my garage. Maybe it has improved with age.

josh_eats_kitties

Quote:

Can’t believe you have never caught a fish on a dip bait. Usually they are my go-to bait to find out if there are hungry cats in the area. Started using them about 3 years ago, and before that I was extremely dubious of them, but after a terrible first day of our Evert’s trip, Dean or RRR said to use it, and we slaughtered fish the rest of the day. Made a believer out of me.

I only use tubes.

I bought about $40 worth of random catfish dip baits from Gander when they were closing the one in Maplegrove (Was 90% off the last day so ran me 4 dollars for a huge bag of random stuff)

I’ve tossed them in lakes, rives, and ect… then after a few hours say screw it and revert to chicken livers, cralwers, or cut sunnies/suckers depending on where I’m at.

I got a bunch of the team catfish tubes which is what I was using with the various dips… I guess I’ll give Secret 7 a go and see what happens!

They carry that stuff anywhere locally, or just gotta order it online? Was thinking of hitting the Croix tonight since it’s rain for the rest of the week.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Vados and Bass Pro Shop carry a couple varieties. Hell, I think Walmart even carries some types. Cabelas and Gander carry some dips as well.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

There aren’t very many big cats on the Croix. People keep pitching me grounders like that one. I’ve run many different kinds of prepared baits both here, the Kickapoo, the Wisconsin and Mississippi river. If they don’t say blood on the label, leave them in the bargain bin. There is a reason they are in the bargain bin. If you are bottom fishing the river make sure you use a tube to hold the bait and don’t click the bail until they hit bottom. I can’t believe you haven’t gotten anything. Keep rebaiting every 10 minutes and fish each spot for half an hour and you should be getting bites.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I have tried the Denny King stuff, not much luck. Still have an old jar of it in my garage. Maybe it has improved with age.

I was not impressed with the “stink” factor either
    I might try mixing some Sonny’s blood with it….

josh_eats_kitties

Quote:

There aren’t very many big cats on the Croix. People keep pitching me grounders like that one. I’ve run many different kinds of prepared baits both here, the Kickapoo, the Wisconsin and Mississippi river. If they don’t say blood on the label, leave them in the bargain bin. There is a reason they are in the bargain bin. If you are bottom fishing the river make sure you use a tube to hold the bait and don’t click the bail until they hit bottom. I can’t believe you haven’t gotten anything. Keep rebaiting every 10 minutes and fish each spot for half an hour and you should be getting bites.

I try for eating size anyways most the cats I catch on the Croix are 10-15 lbs, I wouldnt mind a bit smaller tbh. I don’t chase the monsters.

I guess this Secret 7 stuff sounds like the trick. I’ll check at all the places on the way to the river to see if there’s any, and report back

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kevin, you make me giggle.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not that giggle! LOL!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.