Out last night…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

New personal best for a friend of my nephew’s. And not a half bad night for our first trip. After several hits and one small one we moved and got one more hit – and it was a big one. 51 pounds big. His previous pb was 27, so he was naturally quite stoked!

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

What a way to start the year! That’s a beauty and congrats to your buddy

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Very nice fish, don’t see any wounds on it, nice and clean.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s going to be tough to top that one!

Question session!

What’s the water temp?
    Bait?
    What type of area were you fishing?

I’m headed out tonight. After seeing yours, I’m stoked to stay out LATER! LOL!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Water temp 54, caught in a small side channel in about 6 fow, on a BIG bluegill. We had moved at 10:00 and had just mentioned that we were going on an hour in the new spot with no hit before this one hit.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice fish!

I am starting to see some pictures being posted on Facebook too of flatheads, although the ones I had been seeing were upper teens to 20 pound fish.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

Wow, great fish! I’ve been waiting for the water temps to creep up a bit, but obviously thats not necessary.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I’m headed out tonight. After seeing yours, I’m stoked to stay out LATER! LOL!

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Same here – was waiting for the temp to go up, but I guess that isn’t necessary..going out on thursday.. last year I hooked into what I thought was a cat and when I set the hook I thought I hooked a log until it started swimming away and I had no control and snapped my 10lb line..I now have a cat rig with a ugly stick and 20lb line..:)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Water temp 54, caught in a small side channel in about 6 fow, on a BIG bluegill. We had moved at 10:00 and had just mentioned that we were going on an hour in the new spot with no hit before this one hit.

Perfect!

Since the walleye guys are still snagging them in the wintering holes, I’m thinking I’ll try those first.

Have bullheads will travel.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am going to wait for the next 70 degree+ day before I try for flats. Sunday water temp was 54, but I bet it jumped quite a bit yesterday. Now it looks like we are moving back into another cool stretch where water temps will moderate.

Unless my nephew wants to go tonight.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Perfect!

Since the walleye guys are still snagging them in the wintering holes, I’m thinking I’ll try those first.

Have bullheads will travel.

This guy had a sizable channel in it’s gullet – the tail was still sticking out of his throat. I’d put it at about 2-3 pounds, and he was going after a slab bluegill too. They’re definitely into some eating!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The professor strikes again.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

BK – how’d you do on P4?

Edit: D’oh, I believe you were referring to going out TONIGHT, not last night

bl00dwe1ser
    LaCrosse, WI

Nice fish. I guess I know they’re biting in my area now.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

WOW! Congrat’s, what a way to start the season! Thanks for sharing.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Nice fish! Gotta love that smile!

kruger
    Metro,mn

Now thats a nice fish!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Sweet fish. Way to start the year.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

That is one pig of a flathead Matt.Nice to hear that you guys are on them so early in the season.
    My pursuit of a monster flathad had a setback. I had open heart surgery three weeks ago today. My recovery is coming along I think in a couple more weeks I may try fishing, as long as my son-in-law pulls up the anchors.
    Dave

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.