Ideal sturg/catfish rod??

• rangerski
    North Metro

Looking for a couple times a year sturgeon and catfish stick. Thinking a casting rod, any suggestions… Thanks

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

My favorite sturgeon rod is a shimano compre MH musky rod.
    But I also use it for catfishing and it’s a good all around rod

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Shimano Sojourn -$41.99
    Shimano Compre – $99.99
    Team Catfish ICat Carbon Fiber -$139.99

Exactly what I’m running in my guide boat this year.

hanson

I snapped a Compre up on 4 mile bay a couple years ago fighting a fish. Fairly new rod as well. I use my Compre’s for muskie casting for the most part and never had an issue. First trip out with them for sturgeon and I broke one. Good news is its an over the counter return. Bad news is its the only rod I’ve ever broke.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

I snapped a Compre up on 4 mile bay a couple years ago fighting a fish. Fairly new rod as well. I use my Compre’s for muskie casting for the most part and never had an issue. First trip out with them for sturgeon and I broke one. Good news is its an over the counter return. Bad news is its the only rod I’ve ever broke.

I’ve never had a problem with mine breaking and I tighten my drag to the max on my record 60. It’s caught tons of sturgies in the high 50″s and a few in the 60s and never had a problem. My brother uses on too and never had a problem.

Maybe you just got a bad blank, or nicked it somewhere during travel making it weak?

hanson

Quote:

Maybe you just got a bad blank, or nicked it somewhere during travel making it weak?

Possibly… the problem is I’ve got 20+ rods sitting in this room I’ve used off and on for catfish/sturgeon and the only one that has ever snapped is a graphite rod. I guarantee that rod was used the least of the bunch as well.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Looking for a couple times a year sturgeon and catfish stick. Thinking a casting rod, any suggestions… Thanks

I have a 7′ MH St Croix Triumph musky rod that I have just sitting around I would like to get rid of if it what your looking for. tried to send a pm but It didnt work.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Many things will work! I like ugly stick tigers for the money. The nicest handle I have held. I don’t know how you are supposed to pull hard with a little, short handle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.