Winter cat projects?

• swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

Well, I have almost all my bulk order of hooks snelled up in single and double hook rigs, a 5500 abu modified with a clicker and am starting on new decking for my boat tomorrow. Thinking I might be ready when the river opens up. What you guys working on this winter in anticipation of spring?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Ahem, some guy promised to help me re-do the wiring in my new cat boat..

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

If I knew of spots around here to catch cats through the ice I might be convinced to take p ice fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Goat, you might be surprised at how close they are. Safe? That’s another question.

I’m still working on my boat trailer.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I haven’t had any projects per say but I have been accumulating a whole lot of suckers to chop up for channels leftover from tip uppin for pike

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Ryan – you know SG lives down in the MN river valley, right? If you know a secret spot in the greater Mankato area, we are all ears!

katmando

Quote:

Quote:

I haven’t had any projects per say but I have been accumulating a whole lot of suckers to chop up for channels leftover from tip uppin for pike

Not sure why I didn’t think of that. Great idea!

Yeah it can be real tough to find big suckers early spring so this is the way to go. Let them things defrost for a whole day in the sun and you got THE best big channel cat bait IMO. It stinks so bad you don’t even need to change your bait unless you loose it. Even a piece of skin from it will catch 6 cats lol. Bring latex gloves though.

katmando

Throw a little water in the bag to so they don’t get freezer burn. They don’t work that great when that happens and I usually keep em separated to maybe 6 to a ziplock. I had a major mess when I bunched em all into a big bait bag it the freezer. Had about a 50lb ice block of a million sucker and chub eyes starin me down. And it was a disguisting mess when thawed out.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I used to snell up hooks. But I didn’t use them all. After a while you are so good at tying the snell that it seems like a waste to tie them ahead of time. Not that it’s bad but hopefully I can hold of buying fishing stuff until the snow melts.

However, I’ve been working on some late night tunes for the ride home. I want some driving lights to help avoid those pesky riverbottom deer and some backup lights to make boat stuff easier. DAmn hard to back up when you can’t see the boat ramp.

I need something to hold onto in the boat when stepping from the front deck to the floor.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I live own between Mankato and New Ulm, I’ve never herd of good cat spots around here. Not that they don’t exist, just haven’t heard of any. As for the frozen bait, I have a good stockpile waiting in the freezer. I’ve had good luck with the frozen suckers, the 2 hook rig is nice to help keep them from flying off.

shawnil

Usual organizing and inventory stuff for me, maybe pour a few sinkers…

Oh, and get a new tow vehicle procured since my ’98 Windstar kicked the bucket…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’ve been on this site for almost 4 years and that banana dude still cracks me up.

The banana guy was my go to emoticon until I discovered coffee guy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.