13 yr old Connor Lands His First St Croix Sturgeon

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thirteen year old Connor of Circle Pines, MN was fishing with…oh, heck…Connor tells the story better.

Quote:

Ok so I was with my dad and his boss by the Hudson swing bridge using a Texas rig and braided line with a night crawler on the hook. We were anchored in about 5 feet and casting into 25 feet or so.

All the sudden I got a nibble and thought a sheephead was taking it but then it started to run. It ran for about 5 minutes but then it stopped and I began reeling in again.

It ran one more time but this time when I was reeling it in it jumped 1 foot out of the water and that’s when we saw it was a sturgeon.
    I got it in the net then realized there was a tag on it’s fin we scratched off the goo on the tag and it read ” mn dnr 87995″ that’s when I started shaking and got some pictures we didn’t get the weight or girth but we checked an online conversion chart. I saw that my very first sturgeon was not only 47″ long and 19 lbs but that it was my biggest fish of my life!

Thanks for leaving the tag in the fish Connor! That’s going to give the DNR more and more information on our St Croix Lake Sturgeon over the years. Who knows, you might catch her again someday!

Here’s the DNR info:

This fish was originally tagged on October 1, 2010. At that time the fish was 1117 mm long (43.98″) and weighed 6668 grams (14.7 lbs). It also had a girth of 368 mm (14.49″). The length-versus-weight ratio of this fish was about 8 percent below average for Lake Sturgeon in the St. Croix River . Yours is the first reported recapture of this fish since its initial tagging. According to the information you provided on your catch, this fish had relocated approximately 5.7 miles from the original capture site! The length that you reported for this fish is a little above what we would expect for after this amount of time (+3 inches), but is within reason given the difference in methods of measurement used by biologists and anglers. Our work to date has found that growth for Lake Sturgeon in the Lower St. Croix River is relatively slow and they increase in length at an average rate of 1.1 inches per year.

Congratulations Connor!

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

That is awesome!

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Awesome.. Way to go conner congrats on your first sturgeon. sounds like a blast. I have never caught one. You must be proud. Pretty interesting info from the tag huh?

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Thanks BK and Connor. Great story and the tag info is very interesting.

jeff-rudy
    Rosemount, MN

Great 1st Sturgeon For some reason I think there will be more to come in the future

Rudy

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Hooked for life on those sturg now.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Wow, great fish! Lucky it relocated so far for you to be in the right place at the right time

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Way to go! They sure are fun to catch!

depeterson59

Congrats to you Connor. Thanks to BK, I landed my first ever Lake Sturgeon on Oct 1st of this year. it sure is interesting to hear the data on these tagged fish

blakeb
    MN

haha i was there when this kid caught the fish, you can see my boat 60 feet away in the photo.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What’s the chances of that Blake!? LOL!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.