Two great firsts…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

The great BrianK was nice enough to take my son and I out sturgeon fishing last night. Unfortunately my son was ill and my nephew only too gladly took his seat (at the expense of a night’s sleep before working today, but somehow I don’t think he regrets that).

After getting to the landing, getting better directions and getting to another landing, then getting better still directions and getting back to the original landing where BrianK was waiting (as well as DTro’s PowerPro), we got out on the St. Croix and promptly started catching redhorse…

…and a young little sturgeon at 7:30pm – Ben’s first ever.

The bite was, in a word, slow. We had our next bite nearly 5 hours later at 12:20am. This time I got in on the fun and hauled in a 43″ beauty, my very first sturgeon. Very cool! The fight wasn’t quite spectacular since it was rolled up in the line and came in kind of sideways, though, and BrianK was determined we get a big sturgeon with a full-on fight.

That came less than an hour of BrianK’s stories later – as Brian was busy regaling and Ben’s eyes glazed over, I heard our favorite rod shake in its holder and grabbed it until I knew the fish was definitely on, whereupon I made the critical mistake of handing it to Ben, since it was “his turn”. About thirty seconds later and about 35 yards out from the boat, it came clear out of the water before diving and really exerting its dominance. Brian and I had loads of fun teasing Ben for not being in control of his fish, but this was a great fighter. At one point Ben made about 10 feet of progress and exclaimed, “Here we go!” Shortly thereafter, the sturgeon was making him dance from bow to stern, lol. Great stuff.

It ended up being a stately 53 inches and tagged to boot. What a way to end the night! We stuck it out another 2 hours but that was to be our last.

All kidding aside, Brian was a gracious host and a joy to be on the water with – good night in a nice boat, and memories we won’t be forgetting!

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

I really need to find time to get out and try for my first sturgeon. REALLY.

Great post and congratulations.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

The great BrianK

Ummm too much credit…Mr Catfish would be fine.

In all seriousness, it was very very nice to meet the two of you in person. Even though it was like we’ve know each other for years through IDO.

When you mentioned the reflective tape on the ends of my rods, it made me think of all the other tips/tricks I’ve learned from you and others on Ido over the years. Thank You!

I’m thinking Ben might have had Sturgeon dreams on the way home last night.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Those are some great looking Sturgeon!! Very jealous!

aanderud

Good job guys. We ended up hooking into about 7 sturgeon I think plus some sheepshead and a redhorse. Nothing as big as Ben’s fish though! Way to go, good fish to get on for your first ever sturgeon outing!

Unfortunately the sturgeon we got were almost all under 30 inches long (some as small as 20). Only one that hit somewhere in the high 40s. I finished the night with a personal fish count of -1 since the only thing I reeled in was a drum and they count negative until you get at least one real fish in the boat

Nice to meet you in person Matt. Oh, and that riverpro is actually John’s (wastewaterguru, wwg, etc), not Darren’s.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Good job guys. We ended up hooking into about 7 sturgeon I think plus some sheepshead and a redhorse. Nothing as big as Ben’s fish though! Way to go, good fish to get on for your first ever sturgeon outing!

Unfortunately the sturgeon we got were almost all under 30 inches long (some as small as 20). Only one that hit somewhere in the high 40s. I finished the night with a personal fish count of -1 since the only thing I reeled in was a drum and they count negative until you get at least one real fish in the boat

Nice to meet you in person Matt. Oh, and that riverpro is actually John’s (wastewaterguru, wwg, etc), not Darren’s.

Oh I see. Nice to meet you guys too – wish we’d have had more time to jaw, but there was a mission to undertake. Glad you got some, anyways, our action was very slow, but well worth it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.