St. Croix rookies report

• dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Fellow IDOers SwollenGoat and Gboognish and I made our inaugural trip to the St. Croix on Sunday. We launched out of Bayport and braved some pretty crappy weather conditions, but nothing was going to stop us from getting out. After trying out some spots with no luck, we set up on a nice 40 foot hole and got on some fish almost right away.

The big sturgeon was Gboognish at 20lbs, which was both a new life lister, and an all time biggest fish. Not a bad way to knock both of those out at once! We SwollenGoat had one on that was bigger, but it tail walked and dragged the line over the prop and was gone. I had on what I was sure was the biggest fish of the day, fought pretty good, but ended up JUST being a 10’lb carp.

I think we ended the day with 7 sturgeon, 1 sheepie, 1 carp, and 2 decent channel cats. Everything caught on wads of crawlers only. Each of us got to add a lake sturgeon to our life list, so we couldn’t have done that badly!

I almost forgot! Special thanks to Mr. BrianK and Life1978 for you tips and advice!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Glad you guys had a ball!

By the way, how do you pronounce….Gboognish?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Brian – ‘Gee-Boognish’ though I forget since he hasn’t logged on forever.

Ryan – never say never I guess

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Grips on a carp. They should banish you from Fridley.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Grips on a carp. They should banish you from Fridley.

Lol

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

It was a great day on the water, even considering the weather. I’d also like thank BrianK and Life1978 for the tips, it made for a great first crack at Sturgeon. Kinda think I’ve got the sturgeon bug. There’s something about those big fish! Like I told a few people, “Sure Walleye are fun, if you have a light enough rod”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Was the rod bender in the photo the carp or a sturgie?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That would be the carp. I was convinced I had the big fish of the day on. Thing was running and pulling drag, but alas, only a carp.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Glad you guys got a few. Sounds like you had fun. I gotta get out on the Croix yet. Chippewa has been ok though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.