Sturgeon question

• Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

I have a question for you experienced sturgeon fishermen. I went out on the Wisconsin River Friday night and got two smaller sturgeons, (A 30 and a 36 incher)We were using nightcrawlers on 5/0 circle hooks. I have a bag of frozen minnows that a local bait shop gave me. Would these dead minnows be good for bait? Or do you use live minnows?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d say it depends on how fresh the minnows are. If they look pale and like they were dead for a while, I wouldn’t use them myself. Or at least I would not solely rely on them when I went out.

I’d take crawlers and suckers too and maybe try the frozen minnows on just one pole.

That’s just my opinion, I am sure some guys who put more time into it will have more sound advice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Jerry, I’ve never used “old” bait and I think Pug’s right on.

I have used dead fatheads that were less than a day old and never frozen. They were floating in the bait tank.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Along the same lines, fresh shad works better than last years frozen shad.

Hope that helps Jerry.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Yes that helps Brian and MplsPug. Thanks for both of your responses. I’ll leave the frozen minnows at home. I can’t get shad. We have a rule here in Wisconsin against cast netting. But I can get suckers. So I think I’ll get night crawlers and a few suckers to cut up for bait.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The suckers seem to work better fillet as you would a walleye and not chunked. Fillets about twice the size of your thumb nail.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ll bring some fresh shad Jerry. Should be a good time.

L8R…Ken

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I can’t get shad. We have a rule here in Wisconsin against cast netting.

Funny. Minnesota has the same rule.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

are there any places you can shore cast for these guys or is it strictly boat action?

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Quote:

are there any places you can shore cast for these guys or is it strictly boat action?

If you’re talking about shorefishing for sturgeon, yes people do fish for them from shore.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

lookin4bigones if you put your location in your profile a person that knows the area close to you might send you a pm with shore fishing spots.

Otherwise it’s hard to tell what state your from.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

river falls/hudson area bk

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

The channel/Creek off the power plnt in Bayport. Or the NSP Dam in Chippewa falls

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.