St croix sturgeon bait

• katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

What baits work best for sturgeon specifically on the st croix?
    I have heard pieces of sucker work good, how do you prepare it?
    Have heard filleting it the long way when it’s fresh then let it rot and get stinky. Is that true?
    Also what others work I know gobs of worms works on the rainy but have tried it on the croix ( during season of course) with zero success.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Fathead minnow followed by a crawler followed by another fathead. We call it “The Sandwich.” It tends to keep the sheepies off.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Basically all we use are crawlers and shad. I prefer shad, but very hard to get. It’s kind of like the black market, you have to know someone that knows someone.

Fortunately, I know someone and if he can’t get some, than the other guy usually comes through.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I can bring lots of mooneye if it gets me a seat in an experienced sturgeon fisherman’s boat!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Don’t let the sucker rot. You aren’t fishing for walleye.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

I can bring lots of mooneye if it gets me a seat in an experienced sturgeon fisherman’s boat!

Hey Matt, you are welcome to hop in with us anytime you want. Mooneye not needed, just bring a sense of humor.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Here’s something you might be able to use. Sucker slices, crawlers, live and dead fatheads. And combos of them.

I try to let the fish tell me what they want each time out. I’ve had my best luck with a small thumb nail size sucker fillet followed closely by live and dead fatheads (4 or 5) on the same hook.

Barbless (barb flattened) 3/0 Team Catfish hooks with a four ounce no roll sinker (less is ok too) along with a 8 inch leader makes up the terminal tackle. The barbless hook makes it a breeze to take out of all fish quickly and easily.

You’ll appreciate it more when you stick yourself by accident.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

It’s kind of like the black market, you have to know someone that knows someone.

Fortunately, I know someone and if he can’t get some, than the other guy usually comes through.

Are we still talking about fishing?
    I kid I kid.
    I do know where to net some shad so do you use them dead, frozen, cut, rotten or live?
    I do like that sandwich concept

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My best luck has always been fatheads or a fathead/crawler combo. Be sue to chew those fatheads up real good;). I firmly believe you need a good scent trail.

Shy away from frozen or old rotting baits. Like pug said, all you’ll get is those stinky walleyes.

Has anyone ever tried med size creek chubs??? I’m going to try it this year.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

One more bit of advice. Make sure to clean an remove all clutter like jig boxes and walleye rods from your boat so you have room to do the sturgeon dance.

After you experience a good sturgeon dance you want to sell it or burn it anyway…

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Quote:

It’s kind of like the black market, you have to know someone that knows someone.

Are we still talking about fishing?
    I kid I kid.
    I do know where to net some shad so do you use them dead, frozen, cut, rotten or live?
    I do like that sandwich concept

I always vacuum pack all my shad and flash freeze them. In other words I try not to let them die.

There was a stretch at the end of last year that we couldn’t get a fish on anything but Shad. Early on the crawlers and fatties work fine, but as that water gets really cool, the Shad will shine.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Barbless (barb flattened) 3/0 Team Catfish hooks with a four ounce no roll sinker (less is ok too) along with a 8 inch leader makes up the terminal tackle. The barbless hook makes it a breeze to take out of all fish quickly and easily.

I second that. I don’t believe I’ve ever lost a fish because there was no barb. It makes it sooooo easy to remove a hook. If you’ve ever tried to remove a circle with a barb you’ll know what mean. It’s tuff even with a pair of needle nose!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.