Ice Cats

• MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Just got back from a catfishing trip on the Horseshoe Chain. It was so much fun catching those channels on small ice rods. Its been a long time since summer, so getting a cat on the line again felt so good. I would highly recommend the trip to any summer-river-cat-angler.

vern
    Richfield, MN

Hey Mike T! That’s always a blast catching cats up there. Are they driving out yet? Anyone catching crappies? I like getting a mix of crappies & cats. I should be up there this weekend. Thanks, Vern

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mike, I’s only been 10 days since you had that brute on down at pool 2 !!

Man, January can sure seem long.

J.

ps…I’m still interested in getting out on the Croix iceing.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Hey Der-Mike, Ya know there’s no finer eat’n an Cats come’n

from the ice !!!!! I’ve on occasions stumbled into an ice cat bite. Man, talk about fun, and when ya pull up a cat that can’t fit through the hole, wooh nelly.

Actually, I find ice cats to be one of the most challenging species to find under the ice. Walleye, crappie, and gill can be figured out and patterned, but cats no way.

Gofish

Kensyl Reading EFN ProStaff

Ol’ Miss Guide Service

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Vern, nobody is driving out. In our 6×8 ice shack we had 13″ in one hole and 5″ in the other, very iffy ice! Caught a few smaller crappies while catfishing.

Jon J., I will call you next time I hit the croix. I just started back up at school though, so hopefully it won’t be too long. Mike T.

Cyclone
    Minnesota, New Brighton

Kreading,

I hear ya there. I thought that we had a little of a pattern out on horseshoe. Just from the place that we were fishing them and how we were fishing them. We try it on another lake that kinda had the same demensions but those fish just wouldn’t bite for anything. We could see them on the vexilar and we knew that they were cats because we tried every other lure in our box to at least bring something up and we never did. We sat out there for hours and finally left because the frustration level was so high. I think that they are just so different in every body of water that they swim in that patterning them is too tough during the winter.

vern
    Richfield, MN

Thanks Mike T! I’ll be walking out. No need for a house this weekend. I’ve been catching my cats on crappie jigs tipped with minnow heads. I didn’t get as many hits on the bigger jigs/spoons & cut-bait. A lot of those cats suspend 10 feet or more which is pretty interesting. I’ve also noticed that when a cat shows up on the vexilar near my jig, and I hold my jig still, they will hit it more often. If you work it too much, they seem to shy away. Vern [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.