GreenHorn Catfishing.

• HommeDeNord
    Independence, Iowa.

Hey guys I have not done much cat fishing before and tried this weekend on the wapsi river just south of Independence Iowa and had poor luck. I tried Sonnys Catfish bait and Globs of worms but all that I could catch were very small catfish bullhead and suckers. What my question is…Do I need to look for the deepest holes that I can find and fish up current, hoping the fish will come out of the holes to find the scent? Do you i need to find deep holes, eddies, logs? And last are there actually a decent number of cats In the wapsi around this area or am I wasting my time? Thanks for any info….Like I said I am pretty green at cattin, and would love to learn the trade. Also We have a cabin @ harpers ferry and sometime Ill ask how How I would go about fishing for flatheads..

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

geeee… I wonder what the wapsi is like these days.. back in the day… say the 70’s… it was full of cats… pretty much everywhere… I fished the stretch south of central city most often… particularly around the scout camp…. any stretch with rock had cats…. I caught em on chicken livers, clams and crawdads…… early morning was always best… evenings were ok.. and of course nights were not bad…..

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Id take those suckers your catching and use them for cut bait. If you have a boat I’d fish ten minutes per spot and move if you are not getting bit. I’m not familiar with the river your fishing but Id say holes, cut banks, and snags are good places to search. With the spawn getting near the fishing might start to slow but you can still get them. If you keep moving and go after the biters you can figure out the stretch of river your fishing in relatively short order.

stuart
    Mn.

Rivereyes…you are so right about back in the day….the 70s where great…i think i remember.I used to fish the cedar by gilbertville more cats than you could shake a stick at..wapsi by littleton..turkey..shell rock..you get the picture..Northman..fish the snags..holes sandbars..the thing about cats is they dont take long to figure out..keep at it your fishing in good cat waters

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My uncle used to drift Independence to Quasky in a flat-bottom and catfish. Limits are not hard to come by, and big fish are not uncommon.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go out catfishing in NE Iowa sometime.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.