Unusual catch…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

This is one of two snappers I hooked last night. This one was hooked in the tail, so I was able to grab it, but the other was hooked in the shoulder and I was lucky to be able to unhook it. Strange that either was hooked at all – both were on a regular flathead setup – first time that has happened to me and it happens twice in one night!

Flats weren’t hitting too well – one little one is all we managed.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

What a beast. Can you say “Turtle Soup?”

wetboots
    Oakdale MN

I have a great soup recipe!

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Roasted snapper with gravy. Good eatin!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’m sorry, but with that snapper’s snapper that close to the family jewels……..I would be a bit nervous!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s what I was thinking Gary!

The catfisherman’s vicetomy!

Matt, we had a tuff time last night too. Must be something in the air…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Roll em in flour and fry them in butter over low heat with some pepper and a lid, mmm mmm mmm

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

When I saw the pic my first thought was what if the snapper fell down in the bottom of the boat!!!! I saw one in the road once, they are some quick buggers!!!!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

When I saw the pic my first thought was what if the snapper fell down in the bottom of the boat!!!! I saw one in the road once, they are some quick buggers!!!!

Which is why I didn’t keep it – I was doing good just to hold the thing, not sure how I would have kept him. And by the way, he was big but I was also holding him out away from my body – the jewels were quite safe. He was actually pretty docile being held by the tail.

bullwinkle
    Forest Lake, MN

Good thing she was away from the jewels, I heard that when those things clamp down that they don’t let go. I had a girlfriend like that once glad I got rid of her. I think I still have scars to prove it .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Glad you have long arms Matt…I would have cut the line!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Glad you have long arms Matt…I would have cut the line!

Wow!

I’ve rescued 2 on the road so far in my life. Strong creatures when they dig their claws into the road. Not got brightest creations though.

Don’t make soup out of them. They are great for a lakes ecosystem just like dogfish!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Them snappers were probably taking a chunk out of every flathead that came by.

I have had a couple baby snappers in an aquarium(little bit bigger than a quarter) and they used to be very good at catching crappie minnows and fatheads. Once in a while they would grab onto the fins of the larger fish in the aquarium(baby smallmouth, sunfish, etc) and those little turtles would hold on for several laps at light speed around the aquarium.. eventually sinking down to the bottom with a chunk of fin.

audemp
    Wi

Ahh Flathead fishing the only fishing done while wearing a “nut cup”.

kurtkid
    South metro

I saw a team from the 07′ wave wacker real in a 10pound rock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.