Early night…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I went out today and couldn’t help but stay for the early flathead bite. Caught many bluegills, all perfect bait sized, of course. I was pushing it staying as late as I did, but thought I’d give it until ten to see if anything came my way. Well it did. Just prior to exit-time, a solid thump and slow lean told me I might get a new best-of-year.

Here it is – 44 pounds, I didn’t stay for any others:

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Wow! VERY nice fish!
    I think I caught his great-great grandBABY tonight.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

very nice fish!

Sherry.. he could have strung 2 of your fish on the same hook and still caught that monster!

Couldnt have done it with mine.. I didnt catch squat!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Awesome fish! At least one of us had a good night on the river!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

WOW!! Nice fish, Matt Now how about some details — What was the spot like? How did you set up? Give us a few of your trade secrets? Come on, Please!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Unless it’s the camera angle…it looks bigger than 44!

The wiskers look a foot long!

Congrats Mr. Flathead!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice BOTY Matt

That is one very nice healthy looking cat!!!

Bret

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Wow, nice fish! Nice treat for a short trip.

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Whoa! That picture is AWESOME ! Congrats on the trophy.

I think having a picture like that is comparable to a 1st place trophy in a race or a game.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

THAT. is a BIG flathead! wow! it looks like you got slimed a bit too. who got who?!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

One other shot – yes it looks great for a self-portrait – looks even bigger in this one, in fact. Took some editing to get the lighting right, though, since I shined the camera with my Cat-eyes.

And my favorite, the parting shot.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

WOW! That is one hell of a fish. Great Job. Love2Fish

hanson

Its all perspective.

You’ve got the tail pushed way out to the camera and I have no idea how you managed to do that. It sure looks like your left arm is fairly straight and extended. Holding 44lbs of flopping fish out from your body like that long enough to get a good picture is nuts! Awesome job and sweet pics on an awesome fish!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Do I detect a note of jelousy??

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know about Hanson, but I know I am jealous. I really like the shot of the release. There’s nothing like seeing that golden fish rising from the depths at night.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Looking at the departing shot got me thinking, I wonder how many guys have lost their rings letting fish go? I know I was about a foot away from losing mine when I went to start my motor last fall. Good thing the duck blind caught it! Just curious and holy crap what a fish!!!!!!!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Its all perspective.

You’ve got the tail pushed way out to the camera and I have no idea how you managed to do that. It sure looks like your left arm is fairly straight and extended. Holding 44lbs of flopping fish out from your body like that long enough to get a good picture is nuts! Awesome job and sweet pics on an awesome fish!

The camera was on my seat and I was standing, so the angle is upward, which is probably why it looks like that.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

WOW, What a great fish.

That parting shot is almost scary, I think I woke up next to something that looked like that in College

hanson

Quote:

You sure do!

Just trying to pay attention to the details of what makes those photos good. So when my next pig comes into the boat, I can get some awesome shots.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Don’t do it like my avatar I still must sub-conscientiously think I am a bass fisherman.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

A fish like that makes me wanna get stinky with a big ol’ Flathead! Nice fish!!

OK…ok…I’ll leave now. I still wanna give that action a try.

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice Fish Mate!!
    thanks for sharing pics.
    Larry

audemp
    Wi

That pic with his head stickin out of the water is awesome. I guess I see where the legends of lake or river monsters comes from. Imagine going for a swim and that scary lookin mug smilin back at ya!

That pic is definatly worth framing!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You must be looking at her wrong

With them puppy dog eyes, thick lips and, soft golden skin………I want to kiss her

That is a very cool pic Matt

Bret

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.